WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What is the best mac and cheese brand for the trail?

I've been experimenting with the micowavable Easy Mac on my alcohol stove and not really happy with the results. The regular size box would make too much in quantity, take too long, and be generally yucky without milk and butter, wouldn't it?

kattt
    Kattt (yes, that's 3 Ts!)

www.coyotecove.com

When man moves away from nature his heart becomes hard. Native American (Lakota) Proverb

Korr's Cheesy pasta with brockely or bacon bits. Don't forget to add a packet of tuna!

That might seem like too much now, but be on the trail for a few weeks and it ain't nearly enough!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Any of the no cook kind. The freeze-dried brands that you just add water to that cook in their own pouch. Just add boiling water, close it up, do something else like set up the tent or hang the hammock or whatever, eat, rinse, bag it up, done.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Journal Entries

A lot of the dollar general stores sale a squeeze cheese for a dollar that goes well with noodles of your choice. It's also good with tuna and other things.

This looks weird, I'll admit... but I like a coarse polenta with sun-dried tomatoes, a little pizza seasoning, and grated Parmasano-Reggiano.

When it comes to the mac n' cheese affair, I got over it a while ago.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

What is the best mac and cheese brand for the trail?

Ummm, is this a technical question? LOL Smiley Face. Or just because you are trying to make me hungry? Or just because you wish to push the stock price of your favorite mac n chesse brand?

Mele Kelikmaka.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Well it ain't gonna be like home cookin' !
    I've had luck with the Knorrs Cheese Pasta but only ever made them with water.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

I go with Kraft, the Cheeziest brand. Cook it up in about 2-1/2 cups of water with several teaspoon of olive oil. For an extra yummy trail main dish, add a Spam Single cubed. When the noodles are tender no need to drain out those extra starch calories just stir in some dried milk and the cheese packet. Bon apetit!

Don't worry, when your hiker hunger kicks in you'll have no trouble downing the whole thing. I usually eat dessert, one of those extra large Cadbury's Royal Dark chocolate bars, while dinner is cooking on my alcohol stove.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

The polenta sounds tasty!!
    Hiking - Where would I rather be??
    Coolness aka Coffee Pot

Images

The Coleman Max Patch Mac and Cheese is tasty......
    Hiking - Where would I rather be??
    Coolness aka Coffee Pot

Journal Entries

+1 for Handlebar's technique above.

Powdered milk varies. Nestle's NIDO's brand of instant whole powered milk is sold at ethnic (Mexican) stores, and in the 'Hispanic Section' of some the large grocery stores, such as Krogers and Walmart. NIDO packs more calories and is much tastier than regular "instant non-fat powdered milk". Removing all the fat from 'American style' powdered milk produces only one 'virtue'; it enables people to experience the product's (insipid) taste unaltered after many more months of storage. NIDO, in contrast, may not outlast a thru hike, but in the meantime is very tasty.

When I make Mac and Cheese or Knorrs Sides that are supposed to be made with milk, I take along some NIDO to add to the pot. I also use a little oil, typically olive oil. The oil improves the taste and raises the calorie count. I've not yet tried adding single serving slice of Spam to either Knorrs Sides or Mac and Cheese, but have had good luck at times using foil packed tuna, salmon, or chicken.

If by chance during section hikes or other short outings you find that boxes of mac and cheese produce more food than you, hiking solo, care to consume at one setting, consider switching to the Knorr pasta or rice sides. To get enough dinner, but not too much, pay close attention to a dinner's weight. For me, on many nights a 5 to 6 oz. Knorrs Side is quite filling while a 12 oz mac and cheese dinner would be too large.

Kraft Mac and Cheese, once you buy the box (about a buck per box), unload it in a zip lock bag, put the cheese bag in the zip lock and your good to go.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

After a few weeks on the trail any brand will taste good & there be no leftovers. I personally often take velvita brand & suffer weight penalty for the first day. On trick I leaned is to add a pack of brown mustard for a nice little zing with the powdered stuff. Try shopping at http://www.minimus.biz/ rather than stealing & despite the comercials very few hikers have any Grey Poupon they will lend you.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Ditto on Velveeta for the first day ... it doesn't need any milk or butter because of the squeeze cheese sauce, which in turn makes the whole thing pretty heavy and not a good dinner to lug around until day 4. I'd never thought of olive oil as a butter/milk substitute before but I'll make a mental note of that for the future. And Siestita, thanks for the specifics on whole powdered milk--I had given that up as a fantasy because all I've ever found in grocery stores is nonfat.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by coolness View Post
    The Coleman Max Patch Mac and Cheese is tasty......
    Agreed! Squirt a little hot sauce in there and eat up.

i tried an experiment the other day for the first time.ive started getting into dehydrating my own food.i know it not going to be for the long haul,as i plan on supply where ever i can,not wanting to comit myself to mail drops,but i dehydrated some newman 4 cheese alfredo sauce that was the best mac and cheese ive had on trail hands down.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

+1 on handlebar's technique. Nido or another full fat powdered milk is a must have if you don't want it to taste funny. Another thing you might consider is using ghee or clarified butter instead of olive oil. I use both on the trail but the clarified butter tastes better in certain applications and has had all the water removed. It is shelf stable so you can put it in a little container and not worry about it.

Another thing I add to the mac and cheese is Kraft Parmesan cheese. It's already dried and adds more cheesy punch to the flavah. I also add dried onions and dried sausage for hamburger helper a la trail. Most delicious. Now if I could just get dehydrated wine...
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I have been able to find the velveeta shells easy mac style containers at sams club. I repackage it and put two containers in a freezer bag for longer trips. For short trips when I'm not worried about space I take two containers and pour them into a single easy mac container and then put a cream cheese lid on. The container actually doesn't way much more than a freezer bag and its insulated.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lukabrazi View Post
    I have been able to find the velveeta shells easy mac style containers at sams club. I repackage it and put two containers in a freezer bag for longer trips. For short trips when I'm not worried about space I take two containers and pour them into a single easy mac container and then put a cream cheese lid on. The container actually doesn't way much more than a freezer bag and its insulated.
    Great post and +1 Mountain Mike - Nice touch.,
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Can't help with a best brand suggestions. But for additives, I like butter, bacon bits, Parmesan cheese, and paprika.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++