WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Garlic
    Images

Conditions will dictate what pad to take, or even if you need a pad. If you can sleep on deep leaf duff in hardwood forests, you don't need one. If you plan on spending cold nights on the plank floors of the AT lean-to shelters, get the best insulated full length air mattress you can. You have to decide based on cost, durability (many long distance hikers don't like to carry patch kits) and comfort, and generally you only get two of the three.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

If you decide to buy a Thermarest, I would highly suggest thinking about buying it from LL Bean:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73422...xlite-mattress

You can likely find one cheaper if you look around, but LL Bean's return policy is second to none. If you have trouble with it at any point and are not satisfied with it - even 5 years from now - they'll take it back no questions asked (even if you lose the receipt). With an item that seems as fragile as an XLite, buying from LL Bean gives me much more peace of mind.

I recently bought an original neoair in large. I think it is the most comfortable pad for me. It looks fragile, but has held up for a few uses. I hope it lasts as I really like it.

Just sold my NeoAir. Going with the BA Q-Core SL.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hosaphone View Post
    If you decide to buy a Thermarest, I would highly suggest thinking about buying it from LL Bean:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73422...xlite-mattress

You can likely find one cheaper if you look around, but LL Bean's return policy is second to none. If you have trouble with it at any point and are not satisfied with it - even 5 years from now - they'll take it back no questions asked (even if you lose the receipt). With an item that seems as fragile as an XLite, buying from LL Bean gives me much more peace of mind.
    I have a ProLite and got it from REI for the same reason - the liberal return policy. It's my go-to three-season pad. My daughter and I both have them, and neither one has given a lick of trouble over a bunch of weekend trips.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Try this:
    http://www.pmags.com/sleepings-pads-a-grounded-view

Your question is broad, so not really sure where/how/when you are using it.

Winter backpacking? Appalachian trail thru-hike? General backpacking? Want more comfort in camp or do you like walking from sunup to sundown and just need something for basic insulation and comfort? What's your budget?

Here's the Q&D imo:

• Mininmalist, person on a budget and/or want the lightest pad available? Blue Foam Pad
    • Need something light and durable but still want comfort and/or backpacking during the shoulder season? Z-Lite or Ridge Rest
    • Need comfort, something only moderately expensive and backpacking in peak two season weather? Inflatables (Big Agnes for example)
    • Want the absolute best comfort, weight and warmth combo and don't mind the price?Inflatables with an inner core like a Neoair or similar
    • Need an all round pad for comfort and three-season backpacking? Self-inflatable pads e.g. Thermarest
    Last edited by Mags; 01-07-2013 at 12:52.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Excellent review.

And you somehow managed to work in a reference to the greatest basketball player ever in a review of sleeping pads - I gotta read more of your stuff!

i have an Xtherm and my son has an Xlite and we think they're great. i have only had a chance to use mine once and it was fantastic. they're a little noisy, but i am such a light sleeper that any noise from my son's Xlite wasnt a bother (didnt notice any) since i wake up about a zillion times each night anyway. my son said he didnt notice any sounds from my Xtherm at all. guess sound as a disruption will be relevant to how you sleep, where you sleep, and who youre with...

oh, and i carry a MicroBurst b/c the 2.3oz extra are well worth not having to blow them up!

Want the absolute best comfort, weight and warmth combo and don't mind the price?Inflatables with an inner core like a Neoair or similar
    Need an all round pad for comfort and three-season backpacking? Self-inflatable pads e.g. Thermarest
    I got the Exped 7 SynMat Sleeping Pad from REI at full retail. I liked what they said from all the reviews I have read. Im 6'2" 240lbs and a side sleeper.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLP38 View Post
    Want the absolute best comfort, weight and warmth combo and don't mind the price?Inflatables with an inner core like a Neoair or similar
    Need an all round pad for comfort and three-season backpacking? Self-inflatable pads e.g. Thermarest
    I got the Exped 7 SynMat Sleeping Pad from REI at full retail. I liked what they said from all the reviews I have read. Im 6'2" 240lbs and a side sleeper.
    +1 for Synmat 7 UL...I side sleep also.

Images

Please tell me what u think ofthe ba sl core i am intriqued by thedesign and whether or not it will be as durable as an exped ul 7

I like the versatility of the Nemo Astro Air Pad with Pillow top. Extremely comfortable and gives you the option of just taking the pad without the pillowtop covering.

Images

I use the Thermarest Pro-Lite. I like it a lot - it's a decent price ($100 or less) and weights 16oz. I'm not an ultra-light backpacker by any means, but I do try to keep it fairly light. This is a great compromise between light and affordable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++