Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Conditioning program?

I am a 61 year old out of shape, overweight non-hiker. It is my dream to hike at least part of the AT when I retire 2014 or 2015. I have started a walking program but would appreciate recommendations for strength building exercises or other conditioning exercises you experienced hikers would recommend. No boot camp programs, please.

Images

Default Conditioning program?

Walk more with a loaded pack.

Journal Entries

I suggest joining a health club, if you dont have access to one already, and pay a personal trainer for a few sessions to instruct you in basic resistance training excercises and diet/cardio. After a few sessions or so you should be able to proceed on your own easily if desired. Many previously sedentary people like having a trainer to encourage them however.

Aside from that, walk, with a weighted pack, as much as possible is a good start.

If you can get to the point of running, that is great as well for conditioning, few things are better for you. Lots of peoples bodies cant handle the impact though, not saying its even needed, but it makes you breathe hard like nothing else.

I watched an overweight older woman around 60ish at my gym progress from just walking on a treadmill, to running, to even running road races over about a year a couple of yrs ago. I bet she dropped almost 100 lbs and is now very thin and fit. It can be done for sure if you have the desire . She is an extreme case. Ive observed quite a few people that seem to make little progress as well. Some just cant restrict their eating. Even if you excercise, you still have to learn to control eating to get the weight down, thats still 90% of it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-24-2012 at 02:23.

P90X

I saw amazing changes not only my weight loss, but in my stamina and strength. I can't recommend it enough.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

P90x or Insanity. Someone's bound to say hiking is the best training for hiking, but that only works if you can hike all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by bubonicplay View Post
    Walk more with a loaded pack.
    +1 for the loaded pack if you want to get into shape for hiking. If you just want to get into shape join Gold's gym and do thier Ultramix class. I'm one of the few men that have survived that class...those women nearly killed me but it will definitely get you in shape...my wife loves it, it's also a social thing for the girls I believe.

Images

I agree 100% on the weighted pack..............you have time to prepare.

Maybe start going up and down STEEP HILLS with no pack,

I also find the going sideways helps as well, strengthen your ankles, calves, etc.

Then put a 20lb pack on, then keep adding weight until you get to 40lbs.

Weight loss = meal plan, plain and simple, eat less calories than your body requires, try to take off the weight of your pack, minimum 30 pounds!

The last few section hikes doing hills in front of my house helped a TON. Between our property and the neighbors down to the creek, it is about a 15 - 30 degree incline, maybe 700 yards per round trip, approx 1700 yards is a mile, I will do 8-10 round trips = several miles of hills per day.

Sometimes I will do 2 round trips with a pack, then one without, just to mix things up and work on my speed. This has helped me get ready for the AT better than anything else that I did in the past, including stair stepper, treadmills, elliptical with a loaded pack!

Happily, I dropped from 290 lbs and being totally out of shape, to 233 right now in really good shape. 7 years. Have about 20 more lbs to drop, never-ending project as to the fitness and flexibility side of things!

Having rock solid legs, ankles and calves will make the trip MUCH more enjoyable, the AT can be brutal on the body, I tell people that the romantic notion of doing this wears off quickly, like the 3rd big up for the day and you wonder why you decided to do this. With proper conditioning up front your body will be more ready for the hike.

I have to respectfully disagree on the loaded pack.
    Wait until you lose the weight. Even then I think walking without weight is better.
    Other activities too, of course. Whatever you might enjoy. Its all good.
    Nice thing about walking is you can do it for hours, if you have the time.

Especially at 61. No weight should be neccessary. Less weight = more walking. Find scenic paths. Try to keep it purposeful if you can, like walking to a place and having tea, or birdwatching, or photography. Longer trips on weekends.

I am also out of shape and an "Older Adventurer" (absolutely love being called that). I haven't been on the trail since 1998. I plan to be on the AT in 2014. In addition to walking, I've started Tai Chi because it's very good for the joints and for your breathing. You could actually get a Tai Chi DVD if you don't want to take a class. Good luck!

Get in the habit of walking every day, rain or shine. Start with half an hour, build to an hour. On weekends, do longer walks. Find hills to climb if you can. If you have access to a gym, use the incline on the TM and some stairstepping, but be careful as too much can stress the knees, and neither will teach your body about downhills. Build up slowly until you can walk all day. Then start backpacking. In the beginning, do half the mileage that you can do on a dayhike (i.e. if you can walk 12 miles, start your backpacking with 6 mile days.) You have time to prepare, so plan to go on some longer backpacking trips next year and the year after. Find out what you need and whether you really enjoy backpacking. Don't worry if you don't love it at first - the body needs time to get used to the demands put upon it - but if you don't enjoy the basics of walking all day and camping, you won't enjoy hiking the AT.

I'm a guy, but I'm training as if I'm going to eventually thru hike as a way to lose weight and to make my long section hikes more enjoyable. I have a treadmill that inclines and I started walking uphill on that. Also google the Father Hoog workout. Its a workout made for an overweight,out of shape Priest in his late 50's who wanted to join the Navy to become a Chaplin. Its a free 45 day plan, and the workout is great for someone starting out as a couch potato (like me). I also find Kettlebell weights to be helpful and the workout DVD I got with those involves a lot squats.

Just start out slow and slowly build up. Good luck.

I wholeheartedly agree!! I did p90x last year and coincidently hiked a few days of the AT near Marion VA. I was able to hike MUCH farther and I didn't have to stop and catch my breath every 3 minutes hiking uphill. I was quite pleased when I tore up 18 miles like nothing! :-). Not to mention the ::: abs!!

Images

I use the program in the book-Training for Peak Performance - Mountaineering-Clydes Soles--been doing this for three years getting ready for the hiking season--the best--also look at using Weight Watchers to lose body weight--I lost 40bs.makes a difference......

Wow! Thank you everyone. I was afraid when I posted I would get comments about being too old to even try, but everyone is so encouraging. I think the saddest thing in life is to never have tried, but I want to at least give it a good try! I am walking four miles most days. Really difficult to squeeze more in right now but will be able to in the future. The weight is coming off slowly but I think by the time I can do any real hiking I will be at a more realistic weight. I love the kettle ball idea because that is something I can do at home. That will help my arm strength. Also the Tai Chi for the flexibility. I'm not sure I can handle P90X or Insanity unless they have a slow start program. How did old age sneak up on me like this?
    We do have hills in this area of Kansas but not anything near what I need to build up to. I worry about having the leg strength for steeper climbs. I am reading trail journals and hope to pick a section that is at least somewhat realistic for my conditioning when the time comes. Also studying everything I can about ultralight backpacking. I figure since it will be hard enough getting me moving along I won't need extra weight bogging me down.

I would recommend the walking with a weighted backpack. You can even start with little weight in it, and add as you feel yourself getting in better shape. That is great that you have some hills (was concerned at first when I saw Kansas), work them in as much as you can. Please note that while the mountains will be steeper than your hills, when on the AT you can add hiking poles, which will make it easier. The best advise you have already gotten which is start out slow and gradually build up. I wish you well!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Six Steps View Post
    Wow! Thank you everyone. I was afraid when I posted I would get comments about being too old to even try, but everyone is so encouraging. I am walking four miles most days. Really difficult to squeeze more in right now but will be able to in the future. The weight is coming off slowly but I think by the time I can do any real hiking I will be at a more realistic weight. I love the kettle ball idea because that is something I can do at home. That will help my arm strength.. I'm not sure I can handle P90X or Insanity* unless they have a slow start program. How did old age sneak up on me like this?
    We do have hills in this area of Kansas but not anything near what I need to build up to. I worry about having the leg strength for steeper climbs. I am reading trail journals and hope to pick a section that is at least somewhat realistic for my conditioning when the time comes. Also studying everything I can about ultralight backpacking. I figure since it will be hard enough getting me moving along I won't need extra weight bogging me down.

1. once again guys its the women's forum... refrain from posting (see Sticky)
    2. You are amongst friends and like minded people - look all the oldsters, above.
    3. Do not do Insanity.... there is a reason for it..and it ain't us!
    4. One of the best advantages of working up to having fun is spinning and treadmill, get tired? you don't have as far to get to the car....
    5. Part of the work out needs to include Puds or Pointless ups and downs - you are in Kansas.
    6. When you have energy yea put on a pack and a 15 pound weight and see suggestion below...
    7. Welcome to WB!

Here is a nearby club to you...http://anytimefitness.com/gyms/1570/lansing-ks-66043
    (I don't know if its good)

Here is the weight in your pack (Well Recommended)

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

And when you are out there walking try to stay off sidewalks and roads. Walking on dirt or gravel helps your body react to uneven surfaces and builds up your ankles and knees, strengthens tendons etc. There aren't many flat surfaces on the AT

Images

Dear, old out of shape, overweight non-hiker.
    Real simple, find a place near you that is a good walk, say around a lake in a park or around a condo complex that has ponds and such.
    Just walk for 30 mins. then jump to an hour then 1.5 hours and so on until you can walk for 8 hours straight.
    Yes your knees will not want to do this, then your ankles then your back and so on.
    Try to walk on a soil, dirt, gravel path vs concrete.
    NOW add a pack or try hills, if you have no hills find a restruant say up in a tall building, 15 or more stories. Climb the stairs to the top, take many breaks. Go up and back down take your time, when you can get to the top slow and steady without breaks, you are ready to hike the AT.
    Hiking is slow, steady and for all day long, at 1 mph it takes 10 hours to hike 10 miles and that is a number to look forward to achieving.
    You are 61 not 23, do not even think you can do what these wipper snappers can do. A solid 10 mile day is going to be a great success for you to achieve. If you make it shelter to shelter that is exactly what you look to achieve.
    I wish you a great success. now start walking.
    PS get a pair of hikeing poles and learn to use them. Push with them as you walk, they take a lot of weight off your knees.

Whatever makes you stronger is enough. No more is necessary. Duration is more important than intensity, as long as you are enjoying it and have the time. If you aren't enjoying it, whatever it is, do it differently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++