WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Two or three day loop trail suggestions?

I live in Greenville, SC and I am looking for a decent loop trail (6-10 miles) for my son and I to tackle during the Christmas break. We are willing to drive within a two hour radius, so if anyone has any suggestions please let us know!

standing indian loop

Assuming you want 6-10 miles per day (and not in total) then CrumbSnatcher's suggestion of the Standing Indian Loop is exactly what you want. Its approx 14 miles W of Franklin, NC.

I was actually looking for total miles since I am a bit outta shape (working on it) and he hasnt been backpacking in a while. No reason we cant add an extra night, though!

Can't give you exact figures at the moment. but here are a couple loops that I think are right at 6 miles:

1. Park at the Springer Mtn parking lot on fs42, hike the AT S up to Springer, then take the BMT N down Springer to 3 Forks, and then return to the parking lot on the AT S. At 3 Forks you will have the option of adding an out and back portion on the AT - you're about a mile from Long Creek Falls and another mile from there to Hickory Flatts Cemetary and from there another mile to Hawk Mtn Shelter.

2. Park at Lake Winfield Scott, hike the Jarrad Gap Trail to the AT, hike the AT N to the Slaughter Creek Trail, take the Slaughter Creek Trail back to LWS. This is my favorite summer dayhike as I end it with a swim in the lake. You'll have the opportunity to add an out and back trip to the summit of Blood Mtn if you want.

Images

If you live in Greenville, SC there are a number of loophikes along the Foothills Trail....it is close to you as well.
    Fast is fine but accurate is final....Wyatt Earp

G-FOURce sorry i didn't notice you were asking for loops on the "other trails forum"
    i hope you find your trail & you all have a great hike! merry x-mas

No worries at all!

Images

Loops including and off of the Art Loeb Trail in Pisgah come to mind. You could Park at Big East Fork, do Old Butt Knob Trail (strenuous start) to Art Loeb Trail, camp at Shining Rock Gap, then take South on Art Loeb to Greasy Fork Trail (hard to find, not well marked - grassy intersection - you'll get it though - take your time) to the Big East Fork Trail, camp on the Big East Fork Trail near the crossing, and then walk Big East Fork Trail back to your car - fun weekend - the whole thing is only about 14 miles and could be done in a day but for a father / son weekend trip, it's about perfect. You need a Pisgah Ranger District Map - - also, there might be a bit of snow around Shining Rock Gap - take warm gear.

Oops - I just saw the 6-10 miles thing - this loop is as follows:

Old Butt Knob - 3.5 +/-
    Art Loeb Section - 3.0 +/-
    Greasy Cove - 3.5 +/-
    Big East Fork - 4.0 +/-
    14.0 total (but fun and very doable)
    Last edited by Papa D; 12-25-2012 at 22:52.

Thanks, Papa D - we will check that out...

I am going to try the Kings Mt. SP/National Battlefield and maybe the Crowder's Mt. Ridgeline Trail on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Don't know much about the area, except it will be about 10 degrees warmer then a Pisgah hike.

we ended up just doing an easy 5 mile loop at Paris Mountain State Park. We could have actually made the hike longer, but this is the first trip my son has been on in a couple of years and with a new pack and more gear so we thougth we'd go easy. the trip was a great success except that i found out that the new bag i bought needs to go back to the store (too drafty at the seams!). my son was in a Big Agnes "Amber 30" and the temp dropped to 27 and he said he was toasty warm all night (he's a warm sleeper, too). we had intended to stay two nights and would still be there if my bag had performed better (i am now 100% sold on Big Agnes bags).

here is our BA Copper Spur UL2 at our campsite

and here is the view from our campsite

and here is my son fueling up this morning

and here is the superstar on our hike out

and again hamming it up for the camera

++ New Posts ++