WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: REI Flash 45

Default REI Flash 45

http://www.rei.com/product/844660/rei-flash-45-pack

REI recently rolled out its new mid-capacity pack, the Flash 45. The medium has a 45L capacity at just 34 ounces, while the large has a 50L capacity at 36 ounces. I get the impression it was based on Ospreys Exos 46, both in terms of specs and looks.

Anyone gotten their hands on one or know anything more about it? Suitable for a thru hike?

thats a great looking pack!

There was some buz about this backpack and a smaller REI Flash series backpack on Backpackinglight.com a few days ago. You may want to check it out.

Yep, that thread at BPL about the Flash 22 was where I first heard about it. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...to_post=609737

I love my Flash 18 and Flash 30 and am looking forward to the 45.

I also own the Flash 18. Bought it this year. Great day pack and may try a SUL overnighter with it this year in milder weather.

does this mean that no one has tried the Flash 45 specifically?? anyone? i am also interested in this pack and would appreciate some feedback from anyone who happens to have one. thanks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by G-FOURce View Post
    does this mean that no one has tried the Flash 45 specifically?? anyone? i am also interested in this pack and would appreciate some feedback from anyone who happens to have one. thanks.
    REI is AKA: "Return Every Item", meaning they have a very generous and liberal return program. Best advice is to just buy one and check it out personally. If you don't like it, return it. I do personally like to only return items in "new" condition and not take advantage of their policy...

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    REI is AKA: "Return Every Item", meaning they have a very generous and liberal return program. Best advice is to just buy one and check it out personally. If you don't like it, return it. I do personally like to only return items in "new" condition and not take advantage of their policy...
    amen! i have seen posts here where people talk about abusing their policies and it's frustrating for those of us who buy and return responsibly.

i just ordered the pack. they're backordered until Jan 27th, so it'll be a little while before i get to try it out. also, since they only sell them online there isn't really any other way to test or inspect one. i'll try to remember to post up pics and an initial review when the pack arrives.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by G-FOURce View Post
    amen! i have seen posts here where people talk about abusing their policies and it's frustrating for those of us who buy and return responsibly.

i just ordered the pack. they're backordered until Jan 27th, so it'll be a little while before i get to try it out. also, since they only sell them online there isn't really any other way to test or inspect one. i'll try to remember to post up pics and an initial review when the pack arrives.
    Cool, report back to us after you hve time to check it out. I go to REI a couple times a week (I work within a 5 minute walk of one; very dangerous financially...) and have checked on this pack a couple of times now, to no avail, so this online-only thing explains that.

I have the Flash 65, 50, and 18. They are all good packs and I would have used the 50 to thru hike last spring but the torso was too short for me, I bought a Granite Gear Crown 60 to use instead and do not regret it. I still use the Flash 65 and 50 for weekend hikes to save wear and tear on the GG Crown 60 which I save for longer hikes.

The Flash 45 looks like a clone of the Osprey Talon 44; I have been eyeing up the Talon 44 for a while, but with the Flash 45 coming out, looks like I will have to make a trip into my local REI and check that out. At 34oz it would be great for a minimalist.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Latitude918 View Post
    The Flash 45 looks like a clone of the Osprey Talon 44; I have been eyeing up the Talon 44 for a while, but with the Flash 45 coming out, looks like I will have to make a trip into my local REI and check that out. At 34oz it would be great for a minimalist.
    According to GFOURce below, they only have them online, at least for now, so just order one, check it out, and if you don't like it, you can return it to your store (ie: you won't have to mail it back). As far as this pack being for a "minimalist", I'm certainly nowhere near being such, I hike fully equipped, and my thru hike gear all fits into a 46 liter Osprey Exos easily.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    According to GFOURce below, they only have them online, at least for now, so just order one, check it out, and if you don't like it, you can return it to your store (ie: you won't have to mail it back). As far as this pack being for a "minimalist", I'm certainly nowhere near being such, I hike fully equipped, and my thru hike gear all fits into a 46 liter Osprey Exos easily.
    i actually had mine delivered to our local store. i am going to have them load it when it comes in and test it out right there in the store so that it never leaves their possession should i decide its not what i want.

Quote Originally Posted by Latitude918 View Post
    Like you I'm looking pretty hard at the Talon 44, but I definitely want to give the Flash 45 a try first. They strike me as very similar packs.

I've been to three REI stores in three different states, and none have had the Flash 45 in stock nor have they been able to tell me anything about when they will be in stores. I'm anxiously looking forward to when the pack reviews start trickling in. I really want to like this pack!

I have one and my wife has a smaller version. I like the pack very much. There is alot of room and compartments. Only thing i wish the belt pockets were a bit larger.

The pack should be a nice competitor to the osprey exos. Looking forward to its release!

Quote Originally Posted by keep moving View Post
    Like you I'm looking pretty hard at the Talon 44, but I definitely want to give the Flash 45 a try first. They strike me as very similar packs.

I've been to three REI stores in three different states, and none have had the Flash 45 in stock nor have they been able to tell me anything about when they will be in stores. I'm anxiously looking forward to when the pack reviews start trickling in. I really want to like this pack!
    Similar capacity, lower price point, and weighing less, it really gives both the Talon and Exos a run for their money.

I have heard January 27th being tossed around. I'll be watching the stores.

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    I have one and my wife has a smaller version. I like the pack very much. There is alot of room and compartments. Only thing i wish the belt pockets were a bit larger.
    Sorry Keepmoving I dont have the 45 but last year 62. Anyway both flashes that my wife and I have are really good packs

The Flash 45 is a new 2013 release and won't ship to the stores until the end of the month, but they are taking pre-orders online.

...or...so I was told at the STL store while I was looking for an Osprey Hornet 46 last week.

FWIW.

-Mark in St. Louis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++