WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

For all those heading SOBO on the JMT starting at the JMT northern terminus at Happy Isles in June you'll start crossing paths with some of the PCT NOBOers in the month of June, probably around the second or third week of June(it differs from yr to yr though), so trail could/should be broken even if there's snow on the ground(and there MOST LIKELY will be at least some snow in patches, maybe more extensively so, RELAX!). What I'm saying is, it's not likely you are going to be out there all alone breaking trail on the southern half of the JMT even if there is snow on the ground during the third-fourth wk of June. There should be others who have gone before you, NOBO on the PCT, at least in the southern half of the JMT, you could inquire from about trail conditions you will about to experience JMT SOBO. You might/PROBABLY WILL find that some JMT SOBOers are ahead of you or have completed their JMT SOBO hikes ahead of you too. Still too early to tell what it will be like on the ground in mid to late June though. Just keep an eye on it and adjust accordingly to what you feel comfortable with. have a great hike. IMO, some snow makes for a prettier JMT thru-hike anyhow.

Journal Entries
    Images

I couldn't pull the trigger last year due to a family situations. Looking forward to hitting it this year @ mid August heading SOBO
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Permit confirmed for 7/25. "Unfortunately" I have to do the approach trail (Illilouette)...what a terrible problem it is to have to spend another day in the Sierras...oh whatever will I do . Anyway, looking forward to this. Been planning it off and on since some time in 2011. Can't wait to get out there.

Oh, and by the way for anyone trying to get permits this weekend if you haven't already heard they had some issues with the fax machine and then the email server went down yesterday. Having a somewhat limited number of days I could choose from I just called (which is how I confirmed the issues the office was having as I first found out about it on the JMT Yahoo group) and took Illilouette. I did fax in two applications, and only heard back on one...so apparently one didn't even get through despite it appearing to have gone through on my end.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglesworth View Post
    Does anyone know if I can do Half Dome on my second day? Essentially, is my Half Dome permit flexible dates or will it be for the same day the JMT permit is issued?.
    The Half Dome permit is a floating permit. If you are hiking out of Happy Isles and night one is in LYV, then you can tag Half Dome early in the morn day 2 then get your packs and head on. Thru hiked in '11 and was the best hike ever! Congrats
    Schnikel

Images

I'm planning on going August 1st. I'm faxing in my information tonight to get my permit! Where do you guys get your snowpack information?

Images

My question has already been answered.

I'm sure I'll see you 1Greywolf. I start the day before.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmessenger8 View Post
    I'm planning on going August 1st. I'm faxing in my information tonight to get my permit! Where do you guys get your snowpack information?
    What is the best resource for snowpack info (sorry if already posted and I missed it!)?

Browse around here Mr bigglesworth

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/sweq.action

Appears large snowfall just missed over the past couple days. Snowfall since late December has been very minimal. Projections over next few weeks appear to be dry as well. Of course it could change drastically, but so far so good in terms of hiking, especially in mid to late summer. As I plan on hiking early June, fingers crossed!

good forecasting for mammoth lakes area...
    http://mammothweather.com/

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by schnikel View Post
    The Half Dome permit is a floating permit. If you are hiking out of Happy Isles and night one is in LYV, then you can tag Half Dome early in the morn day 2 then get your packs and head on. Thru hiked in '11 and was the best hike ever! Congrats
    Schnikel
    Sorry Newb here on the JMT. If I camp at LYV day #1, then I hike up to & do Halfmoon Days #2, where do I leave my pack that day? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglesworth View Post
    I'm sure I'll see you 1Greywolf. I start the day before.
    Hope to see you at HV. These are our plans: The three of us are planning to arrive at HV by the afternoon of 7/11 to pickup our permit early on 7/12.
    Still working on the flight from NC to Reno, then drive to Yosemite. We will camp at the Thru-hikers campground that night.
    Our plan is to hike from HV to Clouds Rest and go to Sunrise Camp grounds and rejoin the JMT to proceed to Mt. Whitney.
    We would like to take it easy these first two/three days to acclimate then maintain between 13/15-miles days.
    As you know, plans are just that; what rules are the reality of the trail.
    Can't wait.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Sorry Newb here on the JMT. If I camp at LYV day #1, then I hike up to & do Halfmoon Days #2, where do I leave my pack that day? Thanks
    Sorry meant to say "Halfdome" We have a "Halfmoon" here in KY at the Red River Gorge.

I talked to a ranger yesterday, she seemed a little condescending in saying you just leave your pack "there" I said where, she said wherever you want, it's up to you, we've never had a problem & we're not responsible for your things? So I assume, I'll either leave my tent & camp set up with everything inside, then head out to Halfdome for a half day or carry it all the way to the bottom of Halfdome, drop it there & do the climb? Whats the norm?

Images

Sorry meant to say "Halfdome" We have a "Halfmoon" here in KY at the Red River Gorge.

I talked to a ranger yesterday, she seemed a little condescending in saying you just leave your pack "there" I said where, she said wherever you want, it's up to you, we've never had a problem & we're not responsible for your things? So I assume, I'll either leave my tent & camp set up with everything inside, then head out to Halfdome for a half day or carry it all the way to the bottom of Halfdome, drop it there & do the climb? Whats the norm?
    Yes just leave your camp set up, grab some food/water/jacket/whatever and head up. This is "the norm" for all such hikes. You'll love Half Dome. I'd head up as early as possible to avoid the crowds as much as possible.

Wow, your mention of Red River Gorge sure brings back good memories... I grew up in Cincinnati, and RRG was my stomping grounds for many years... Cool place.

Hoping to start the JMT in late August at Tuolumne Meadows. Looking to finish in 14 days or so. Will probably just send a resupply bucket to MTR and not make any reservations at any of the resorts since I do not want to be forced to held to a schedule.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yes just leave your camp set up, grab some food/water/jacket/whatever and head up. This is "the norm" for all such hikes. You'll love Half Dome. I'd head up as early as possible to avoid the crowds as much as possible.

Wow, your mention of Red River Gorge sure brings back good memories... I grew up in Cincinnati, and RRG was my stomping grounds for many years... Cool place.

Thanks!!,,,

My family of 4 with kids age 10 and 12 are working on a JMT plan for this summer- I estimate we're about 50/50 likely right now. Missed our opportunity to get a reservation but we have been successful in the past with a walk-up permit (get in line at 3:00 AM!). Although the kids have hiked Tuolumne to Happy Isles, it wasn't all on the JMT and they really want to do the whole JMT, all in one go. I did the trail solo in '08 taking two weeks. I have proposed close to 5 weeks for the family:
    Home- 1 day transit (AMTRAK) - Yosemite - 1 day permit wait/pizza loading
    Happy Isles - 4 days - Tuolumne - rest day
    Tuolumne - 4 days - Red's - rest day
    Reds- 6 days - Muir Trail Ranch - rest day
    MTR- 7 days - Onion Valley - rest day Independence
    Onion Valley - 6 days - Whitney Portal
    Rest day Independence - 1 day transit (CREST, MetroRail, Metro)- Home
    ---Net hike days: 27
    ---Total sofa to sofa: 35 days
    Start date somewhere around July 22

Journal Entries
    Images

SCORE!!! I finally got my confirmation! I'll be starting at Glacier Point on 8/16. After researching this is where I wanted to start, I felt I can hiking the day before up the HI to LYV without a pack, then start at Glacier Point to catch those views starting out + it should be a much less crowed TH.

The plan is to access the JMT from the Woods Creek Trail which is in Sequoia National Park. This park has a different reservation system from Yosemite. Regardless of your starting date, no permit requests can be submitted until March 1. Which is today. So I went to my local UPS store to fax my permit request. Never went through - the lines were busy. No kidding.

They also accept snail mail requests but the postmark can't be prior to March 1 which means those who fax get their's in sooner than those who mail. So how does a snail mailer get his request in time for consideration? I guess I'll find out!

SCORE!!! I finally got my confirmation! I'll be starting at Glacier Point on 8/16. After researching this is where I wanted to start, I felt I can hiking the day before up the HI to LYV without a pack, then start at Glacier Point to catch those views starting out + it should be a much less crowed TH.
    Great news!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    The plan is to access the JMT from the Woods Creek Trail which is in Sequoia National Park. This park has a different reservation system from Yosemite. Regardless of your starting date, no permit requests can be submitted until March 1. Which is today. So I went to my local UPS store to fax my permit request. Never went through - the lines were busy. No kidding.

They also accept snail mail requests but the postmark can't be prior to March 1 which means those who fax get their's in sooner than those who mail. So how does a snail mailer get his request in time for consideration? I guess I'll find out!

Great news!
    I learned from an earlier post that you can call in your reservation. I was on the phone earlier this week & they were ready to book my trip over the phone, but I didn't want to hike down the the lllilouette Basin then back track. I was on the phone with them this morning as well & she would have booked it but she said if I haven't received a denial by noon my time, then I more than likely was accepted, and she was correct. So I would call & see what they have available, it may be the fastest way, just don't when they open because it's busy for the 1st hour or so.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++