WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bergans v. Big Agnes tents

My brother has been trying to convince me to get a 4-season Bergans 2-person tunnel tent for my 2013 NOBO. He used one on a NOLS trip this summer and thinks they're great--the most durable thing I could get, and easy to set up. My main worry is that they weigh 5 lbs 11 oz.

I was leaning towards a 3-season, apparently flimsier tent. I was thinking of Big Agnes, either fly creek or copper spur, because they're lighter and it sounds like lots of people use them and are happy.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Blackett

No need for a 4-season tent. Almost 6 lbs for shelter is stupid heavy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    No need for a 4-season tent. Almost 6 lbs for shelter is stupid heavy.
    Agree with Rocket, too heavy. Lots of really good 3 season tents . MSR makes sturdy lightweight tents that are popular on the trail. Many options out there, just do a little research here before spending the money.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Yep. no reason for a 4 seasons tent for a NOBO AT hike. I have a Big Agnes and my wife and I have used it for about 6 years now. Good room and light weight. Customer service is also good. We used ours on our JMT thru hike as well as section hikes on the AT. I think it would be a good tent to thru the AT with.
    Schnikel

Here is a slightly different way of looking at this.
    tent-Weight-and-size.jpg

The tent at the top is close to the size of the Bergan . The weight of the water inside those bottles is the weight of that tent.
    Below is the size and weight of a typical tent used by through hikers.
    This particular one is about 25 oz but some have shelters that are well under that.
    Hard to tell but the top one is a bit over twice the volume of the other.
    As you can see it isn't just about weight but also size.

The heavier and the bigger the tent , the heavier and bigger your pack needs to be.
    A bigger and heavier pack may just push you to have heavier boots.
    The more weight you carry the more you need to eat and drink, so extra weight again....

CF97 > Everything Else.

Granted I have never been on a NOLS trip but am familiar with their curriculum, I studied it in school. Their philosophies on gear, don't seem to be light and usually over prepare their participants.

There is no reason to take a 4 season tent on a traditional thru of the AT (starting March-ish for NoBo or June-ish for SoBo). Hell you are not gonna set it up as often as you'd think. The shelters tend to get a lot of traffic. I thought I was going to be sleeping in my tent (BA FlyCreek 1) almost every night on trail during my hike, but ended up being in the shelters four or five nights a week.

Check out Tarptent or Six Moon Designs for some light weight shelters. When I thru the AT again I will be bringing some from either of those to companies.

You'd be shocked how great a well pitched 8x10 tarp sheds the elements!

As Franco pointed out (visually -- nice!) it's not just weight, volume is important too.

Best of Luck with your brother!
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

++ New Posts ++