WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Winter gear list for Pinhoti thru

I've noticed several gear lists lately so I figured I'd post the gear I'm going to be taking on my Pinhoti thru next week. I'm packing for a temp range of 10* - 40*.

I have no idea how much it weighs as I no longer weigh my gear. Instead, I try to take only what I'm 75% sure I will need and figure the weight will take care of itself.

Navigation:

Talledga forest map
    Chatahoochie forest map
    Nat Geo 777 map
    Pages 12, 13, 18 from GA DeLorme Gazeeteer
    Baggie to keep Gazeeteer pages dry.

Pack:

ULA Catalyst
    cuben pack cover
    cuben pack liner
    cuben sack to stuff pack cover w/ not in use

Shelter:

Lightheart Solo cuben
    4 groundhog stakes
    4 shepherd hook ti stakes
    cuben sack for tent
    cuben tent stake bag

Sleep system:

Montbell 20* SS down bag
    cuben dry bag for sleeping bag
    Neoair (short)
    silk thermal top
    silk thermal bottom
    wool toboggan
    goosefeet down booties
    pair merino wool glove liners
    cuben dry bag for clothing items

Toiletries, chemicals, & 1st aid:

Aqua Mira
    toothbrush / cut down
    toothpaste / travel size
    dental floss / whole pack... gotta have my floss - it's an obsession...
    5 large bandaids
    5 small bandaids
    1 small tube neosporin
    2 single edge razor blades
    10 ibuprofen
    prescription meds
    toilet paper
    hand sanitizer
    10 feet spectra cord
    cuben sack

Shells:

GoLite Tumalo rain pants (hiking / rain gear)
    GoLite Malpais rain jacket (rain / wind jacket)
    GoLite Roan Plateau down parka (cold insurance)
    1st Ascent down sweater
    cuben dry bag

Warmth / extremities:

eVent mitt shells.
    PL 400 mittens
    OR windstopper gloves
    Wool toboggan (I have 2 of these, 1 for hiking and 1 for sleeping)
    Balaclava
    cuben sack

Extra clothes:

1 pair quarter length merino wool socks
    1 pair merino wool liners
    small cuben dry bag

Electronics:

Black Diamond Storm headlamp
    iPhone (phone, GPS, camera, maps)
    iPhone charger cord w/ AC adapter
    Newtrent charger
    cuben sack

Kitchen:

My lucky ti spoon...
    Caldera cone
    20 esbit tablets
    500 ml Evernew ti pot
    2 mini bic
    baggie for tablets/bic
    cuben bag to hold all all this

Food:

1 Gatorade bottle
    1 Nalgene 32 oz cantene
    1 Nalgene 64 oz cantene
    consumables @ 2 lbs per day

I will be wearing GoLite hiking shorts with merino wool long johns , a merino wool long sleeve thermal top and a GoLite t-shirt. In case of rain I will remove one of the tops and put it in my clothes bag to keep it dry and put on my rain jacket - this way I will always have a dry top.

For bottoms I have 4 configurations:

1. Shorts
    2. Shorts with merino wool bottoms
    3. Rain pants
    4. Rain pants with merino wool bottoms

If I get super-jammed up / wet / freezing I'll always be able to stop, pitch my tent and get warm and regroup.
    Last edited by 10-K; 12-28-2012 at 10:05.

10K - How is the Golite raingear holding up? It's one area I'm looking to save weight on next year.

It's the best Rain gear I've ever owned. Functional affordable and lightweight what's not to like?

10-K
    nice looking list for that temperature range, plus it sure looks like you're keeping your pack weight down. From my LT hike experience this fall, I've found your advice on gear/clothing to be very helpful, so pls indulge me with my questions. I'm not questioning your selections, just want to know a bit more on why you've selected those items in my question.

1. The nalgene 32oz and 64oz canteens. Why do you like using these? I just wondered why the extra few ounces compared to carrying a 1L or 2L Evernew or Platypus bladder/softbottle? I've been carrying a 1L Gatorade or 1L Powerade bottle for dayuse, and a 1.5L or 2L Evernew or Platy softbottle for camp or long stretches between water sources. I also prefer Aqua-Mira, only way to go IMO.

2. Shoes/boots? what type? are u wearing merino wool socks and/or inserts while hiking?

3. Carrying a down parka and a down sweater? why both? have u considered a synthetic down parka or jacket like the Montbell U/L Thermarap or Patagonia Nano-Puff?

great list, have a good hike

The nalgene cantenes are great. Here is a link to the 96 oz version:

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/prod...ntene-96-fl-oz

I will be wearing trail runners. Socks will be a merino wool liner and a merino wool quarter length.

I may or may not use the parka. Given the time of year this is one of those items that it's better to have and not need then to need and not have. I consider it 1 pound and 4 ounces of insurance.

If I have to I can drape the parka over my sleeping bag as a supplement or I can put it on if I have to have a way to get warm fast.

Hi 10-K,

With the cuben drybags, do you need the pack cover & liner? Or it could changed to say with the pack liner, do you need the rest? They're all cuben of course, so it's not costing you much weight really. You could probably leave the neosporin at home if you bought the band-aids that already had it on the bandage.

Ryan

I guess I could get away without the dry bags but like you say - they weigh practically nothing and I'm a bit fanatical about keeping my bag, sleeping clothes, and down insulation dry - particularly in the winter.

re: Neosporin bandaids ... what fun is that?

I'm probably carrying 2 lbs of gear I could leave behind and still be just fine but since I'm hiking a trail I know nothing about in the middle of January I want to feel confident that I can get through a winter storm / single digit temps without freezing my butt off.

Or to say it another way - I see no reason to flirt with "stupid light"...
    Last edited by 10-K; 12-29-2012 at 07:20.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Hi Thomas, good luck on your hike. I think that you will find the Alabama Pinhoti a real gem. If you need any help with resupply, etc. let me know. I live about 2 1/2 hrs from most trailheads but would be glad to meet you at any one of them and drive you to nearest town or deliver you some supplies. It would be a good excuse for me to hit the trail. I have done all of the Pinhoti from Bull Gap to Jackson Chappell in GA but still enjoy hiking sections of it over and over again.

Dale South
    I am not young enough to know everything.

AT 2012

Hi 10k! It is interesting to see your latest winter list. You have me interested in subbing golite rain gear for driducks... Is your preference based on just durability or is it performance,too? Lots of cuben on your list... I haven't tried any yet. Does it work for your 6 foot plus frame to sleep on the winter ground with so small a pad? You may have seen my oft-repeated advice to use a big big rain top and wear your sleeping bag under it... Otherwise, wish I were going along!
    Lazarus

you could take a 2.0 Platybottle (1.3 oz) and save some weight over that 96 oz. Nalgene cantene. Unless you need the filter compatibility with the Nalgene's wide mouth
    http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/w...bottle/product

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    The nalgene cantenes are great. Here is a link to the 96 oz version:

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/prod...ntene-96-fl-oz

I will be wearing trail runners. Socks will be a merino wool liner and a merino wool quarter length.

I may or may not use the parka. Given the time of year this is one of those items that it's better to have and not need then to need and not have. I consider it 1 pound and 4 ounces of insurance.

I'll be about a wk behind you. Hitting the FHT and Congaree NP first, which includes doing a 50 mile canoe paddle down the Congaree from Columbia to and past the NP. As you suggested 10-K I would hike from the FHT to the Pinhoti via the connector, Bartram, and Benton Mckaye but don't have time for the logistical issues and lack of maps, etc. Your gear list looks very similiar to mine but I'm using a Mountain Laurel Designs Grace tarp and MLD Superlight bivy as shelter, GolIte 20* down quilt, ULA CDT pack, and NeoAir Women's sleeping pad(66" long). I'll bring along a Gossamer Gear polycro ground cloth and ProLite 1/4 CCF pad too. Love those Goose Feet Down Booties. I'm bringing mine as my luxury item. Sadly, my REI foldable TI spork was stolen in Reno.

Since a few posters have asked about 10-K's GoLite Malpais rain/wind jacket and GoLite Tumalo rainpants that's what I'll probaly be taking too. I won't say this gear is the best in all situations or for all people but I totally agree with 10-K in this regard, "Functional affordable and lightweight what's not to like?" I also appreciate the decent durabilty, adjustable velcro wrist cuffs, WP zip, breathable hand pockets, double front zipper pull, allowing greater venting options without having to totally unzip the front of the jacket, a decent hood that stays off my face not limiting my vision, hem and hood drawstring cords with toggles, the high ankle zips, drawstring waist and the overall greater durabilty AND features without significant/UL mind blowing wt penalties. Plus like 10-K said they are affordable. I bought mine at GoLite outlets in CO for $68 for the jacket and $28 for the pants. I had some GL coupons and they were already marked at more than half the retail.

++ New Posts ++