WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Images

I really like the guidelines - - I'm a fan of "hike your own hike" but something along these lines should be the "standard" to which thru-hikers gauge their hikes. "hike your own hike, yes" but if you want to call yourself a "thru-hiker" something pretty close to this needs to have been attained (not the mileage, mind you, just the standards). That said, I do have an exception though - - I think that hitch-hiking is a viable, time-tested, and resourceful way to get in and out of towns for re-supply thus avoiding long road walks - - I usually set out to walk to town but sometimes stick my thumb out or am sometimes offered a ride at a trailhead. My thinking here is that if you are hitching, you get your ride by your own wits and it's free (unless you give the driver a dollar or two for gas to be nice) - - this aside, I like the guidelines. I also think a 37 mpd average is quite reasonable for a serious and dedicated hiker that really has (and keeps) their trail legs. This seems like a lot of miles to your average 10 miler per day weekender (just like a sub 3 hour marathon seems completely out of reach to someone that runs a 5K every couple of months) but for someone immersed deeply in the trail, absolutely marathon-runner-fit and who that enjoys waking early and moving steadily all day long at a good clip. The normal day would be 40-41 miles - - this builds in a little time off - - it's really quite attainable.
    Last edited by Papa D; 12-29-2012 at 11:28.

Not getting into a vehicle avoids the ambiguity around pre-arranged support, particularly when people learn of his attempt and just "happen" to be on the road at the trailhead with their cars. I like it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Not getting into a vehicle avoids the ambiguity around pre-arranged support, particularly when people learn of his attempt and just "happen" to be on the road at the trailhead with their cars. I like it.
    yep - I can see that I suppose. No one will ever likely "hear of my attempt" of anything so I guess I would come upon a ride by more honest happenstance. The other thing is that the road walks would probably equal about 100 miles added to the trip (this adds at least 1 mile per day to the proposed mpd average)- - if he/she re-supplies once every 5 days (assuming a pretty light consumable load), that's 12 road walks at an average of 4+ miles each way (assuming he/she picks the short ones). Some of course, you walk right into town and at that speed, you can be more selective.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    i understand where you are coming from, if i was on a record attempt and i strolled out of the woods and someone approached me saying i heard about your hike, thats really cool! can i give you a lift? i would thank them, say no thanks, no pre arranged rides. then i'd start walkin' down the road with my thumb out til i got a ride the right way :-)

Journal Entries

I agree. Don't make any sense to hike without taking it all in.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Airman View Post
    And when you do your thru hike you can chose to do it any way that makes sense to you.

most traditional thru-hikers don't "take it all in". most are in a rush and focusing on the end

Sitting around shelters for 5 hours waiting for it to get dark, or sitting in town for 3-4 days isn't taking it in either

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    I've always hoped Matt would give it a shot. Outside of Skurka, I think he has the best shot of anyone else out there. At least on paper he has the experience, will power, and toughness to get it done. Plus a little touch of the crazy always helps.

Ryan

Pretty sure Andrew has no interest in this point setting a speed record on a traditional trail. He's all about making his own routes.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post

... there, was there anything else I missed?
    maybe the part where we're trying to have a serious conversation and this in't the humor section?

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Pretty sure Andrew has no interest in this point setting a speed record on a traditional trail. He's all about making his own routes.
    Yeah, I don't think he will try it anytime soon. Heck, he may only do 1-2 more long hikes like his previous ones. I still think he could do it though.

Ryan

Images

Go, kirk!!!!

Default another wannabe...

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    Go, kirk!!!!
    Thanks JJJ and those who chimed in on this thread. I held off on my reply until I was 100% certain my attempt was going to happen...

It looks like it will and this may be one of my last opportunities to get to a computer. With respect to the other hikers who posted their intentions on this forum beforehand, here's mine: http://sub60.wikispaces.com

I will report back on this forum once off the trail one way or another. Until then, happy trails!

-Matt

He's hiked it twice before. I think he's seen it all.

Props for doing it the right way by actually backpacking the trail and carrying everything.

I'm with Scrubhiker on this .. and by the way Scrub.. I LOVE your writing style! shows local color!

Hiking the entire AT in under 60 days? Totally unsupported? not getting into a vehicle ever for any reason? Ain't gonna happen. I'd be willin' to bet the farm on that. And another thing.. which Scrubhiker also mentions.. It's not a damned competition folks!!!

It's amazing the number of yahoo's this trail attracts.

Images

Sounds like a personal challenge. Good luck from all the yahoos at WB.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post

Hiking the entire AT in under 60 days? Totally unsupported? not getting into a vehicle ever for any reason? Ain't gonna happen. I'd be willin' to bet the farm on that. And another thing.. which Scrubhiker also mentions.. It's not a damned competition folks!!!
    Well, if Ward Leonard could do it 23 years ago...think of all the advances in lightweight equipment since then. And the greater ease in planning such an undertaking that the internet provides. Someone with drive, mental and physical toughness will break the record. Just a matter of time. Is Matt the one? We'll know in a couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    It's not a damned competition folks!!!
    I don't mountain bike competitively but I still love to push myself and see how much faster I can be today than I was yesterday... I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

The same applies here. To insist that every thru-hiker needs to conduct themself as if they are competing is wrong, but so is telling one hiker he can't. The trail is a stretch of ground that people walk. That's it. What it means to you and how you choose to approach it is entirely up to you. This guy wants to push himself and see if he can achieve a goal... Isn't that the basis of all human endeavors?

He may not accomplish his goal on this hike, but you can bet that someone, someday will break the record. That's how records work; they exist as a bar that people compare themselves to until one day someone says 'I think I can do better' and then a new bar is set. If you don't like that process then that's fine just ignore it, but implying that it's somehow less valuable than whatever it is you do is assanine.

Is there any proof Ward Leonard really did an unsupported hike in 60 days? Or is it an AT legend? Only saying this because the record has stood so long. No one could beat the "record" in the last 20 some years?????

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    Thanks JJJ and those who chimed in on this thread. I held off on my reply until I was 100% certain my attempt was going to happen...

It looks like it will and this may be one of my last opportunities to get to a computer. With respect to the other hikers who posted their intentions on this forum beforehand, here's mine: http://sub60.wikispaces.com

I will report back on this forum once off the trail one way or another. Until then, happy trails!

-Matt
    did you have an estimated date of departure?

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++