WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Lightest rucksack that can carry 45lbs comfortably?

Hi all, I currently have two lowe alpine rucksacks that are roughly 5.2lbs each and can carry up to 77lbs very comfortably all day long if need be.
    My question for you guys is this; does there exist a rucksack that is no more than 3.75lbs in weight that is capable of carrying a 44lb load very comfortably all day long? The reason I give 3.75lb as a maximum weight is because I want at least a 1.5lb drop it weight to justify spending the $$$ on a new lighter rucksack, anything less wouldn't really justify the costs.
    I eagerly await your reponses!

Images

Probably is one somewhere. A better question is, why would you want to carry a 44lb load? Rather than look for a new pack I would take a serious look at my gear, and try to cut the weight by a half. 25lbs on your back will make hiking a lot more enjoyable than close to 50.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    Probably is one somewhere. A better question is, why would you want to carry a 44lb load? Rather than look for a new pack I would take a serious look at my gear, and try to cut the weight by a half. 25lbs on your back will make hiking a lot more enjoyable than close to 50.
    Maybe he wants carry 30 lbs of food for a 15 day trip.

Images

I think that someone needs to calculate an age-weight limit that becomes WB law

At 18, join the special forces and run with 125 lbs...............................scale the math down from there.

Q

Hey guys I'm doing an unsupported 418km thru-hike in summer 2013 and believe me I have been dilligently lighteing my items of kit and spening plenty of $$ in the process. The food and water takes 25lbs on it's own, the other 18lbs is absolutely everything else from my pack to my shoes.

The pack itself is the last item of kit I could save a few lbs on so hence my question here.

Images

I'm pretty sure my ULA Catalyst could, but I certainly wouldn't!

The Kifaru KU line will allow you to carry that much weight.

Here is a link for there KU 3700 at 2lbs. 9oz.

http://kifaru.net/KU3700.html

TRU ...

Images

A.l.i.c.e.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post

At 18, join the special forces and run with 125 lbs...............................scale the math down from there.

Q

I think the basic idea of what you say has merit and is worthy of discussion. Maybe in Walters forum.......when I don't have games

Journal Entries

Default look at this

Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Hi all, I currently have two lowe alpine rucksacks that are roughly 5.2lbs each and can carry up to 77lbs very comfortably all day long if need be.
    My question for you guys is this; does there exist a rucksack that is no more than 3.75lbs in weight that is capable of carrying a 44lb load very comfortably all day long? The reason I give 3.75lb as a maximum weight is because I want at least a 1.5lb drop it weight to justify spending the $$$ on a new lighter rucksack, anything less wouldn't really justify the costs.
    I eagerly await your reponses!
    I bought a Osprey Atmos 65L. It is right at your weight u want and it feels real comfortable to me with a load in it. I carried 45 lbs last year on 108 miler with a cheap Dick's Field and Stream 65L pack. So this year with the Atmos and a lighter load 32 or less hope this pack will do. I am still way to heavy for the more experienced hikes on this site. Check out the reviews and I found it lists at REI for $240 , but found and bought on Amazon for $151 at Al's Sport.com Hike On!!!

Miller

Q
    That formula works out to about 1lb per year for TW. Just guessing TW's age of course.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Q
    Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    That formula works out to about 1lb per year for TW. Just guessing TW's age of course.
    Ha ha ha. Problem is, the formula doesn't take into account the current slew of 18 years old who want to start out with a 10 lb pack. By age 50 they'll either be going out in a loin cloth with a q-tip first aid kit or calling it quits, wising up and carrying 75 lbs.

For that weight load I'd be looking at an external frame pack. It will still be about 5 pounds, but a lot more comfortable to carry than a internal frame.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I have an Osprey Aether that could do it comfortably. Only been used one time because I decided to go ultralight. Pm me if you are interested.

I have an older Camp Trails Adjustable II external frame backpack that would meet your requirement. It weighs just under 4 pounds and will be as comfortable as anything with 40+ pounds (although it is a stretch to call that weight comfortable). You can still find this pack on eBay on occasion but last time I looked it seemed there were some versions that weighed closer to 5 poounds. Maybe they varied by year? On my scale mine is 3 pounds 14 ounces.

The Deuter ACT 50 could definitely take that weight. 3# 5oz.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I have an older Camp Trails Adjustable II external frame backpack that would meet your requirement. It weighs just under 4 pounds and will be as comfortable as anything with 40+ pounds (although it is a stretch to call that weight comfortable). You can still find this pack on eBay on occasion but last time I looked it seemed there were some versions that weighed closer to 5 poounds. Maybe they varied by year? On my scale mine is 3 pounds 14 ounces.
    I have two different external frame packs from back in the day. Both made by WFS. Both are under 4 pounds as well. One is 3#14oz, the other is 3#9oz. I still use the "heavier" one on occasion if the trip necessitates it. Beauty of having numerous packs is I can choose the right tool for the job.

Images

Take a look at the Gregory line. A little heavier than what you need, but you can get it down by removing the top pocket and misc other stuff on the pack. I bought one for a heavy-weight trip, and I cant believe how comfortably they carry weight.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Hey guys I've looked in to every suggestion made here, even creating an excel spreadsheet to highlight the pro'/con's of each pack, however I've tweaked and refined my kit list to be 41lbs which is closer to the recommended maximum carry load for these ultralight packs that are on the market, now the only thing stopping me is the cost! Thanks for all your suggestions.

Look into an REI Flash 62.

No 18 y/os in SF they ain't smart enough yet, but if you want see somebody carrying crazy ruck look at a 60mm mortar crew.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++