WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I've have the ULA Catalyst I've used for guiding, overnight climbing (rope is bulky and weighs a bit!), winter and anything that requires heavier loads.

For 3 lbs and the weight it carries, it is fairly light. Like how it carries, and, like all ULA packs, pretty durable.

But, unless you have an need for 40+ lbs (see above), a lighter pack and assorted gear may suit you better.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Deuter Act lite 65 + 10

Hike smarter, not harder.

Catalyst would be my choice, although I've never had 44# in mine. And I miss external frames. Jansport D3 or D5 with the wrap around arms on the frame. Those were awesome. Maybe they'll become the trendy thing again some day, when we're not all acting like we're bushwacking to Everest.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post

No 18 y/os in SF they ain't smart enough yet, but if you want see somebody carrying crazy ruck look at a 60mm mortar crew.
    Sad part is there are, well maybe 19...early 03 i think the army started the "18X-special forces enlistment option" so now 17 and 18 yearolds can go stright from basic to a prep course, to SFAS, then to the Q course. so in about a year an half they can be special forces now. now not alot dont make it, but some do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Maybe he wants carry 30 lbs of food for a 15 day trip.
    Or maybe doing family trips. carrying more than one person's load.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

That's pretty subjective... I've carried 40+ lbs. of winter gear in my Golite Gust (22 oz.) comfortably - but I don't know that a lot of other people could say that. I have a long torso, maybe that helped. They don't make them anymore so you'd have to have one custom made for you.

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    Deuter Act lite 65 + 10
    Seconded. I have this pack and love it—comfortable at 41 lbs and easy to pack. Upgraded from a Gregory Palisade that is way too much bag for my current needs. Gregory makes great kit, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Beuhler View Post
    Seconded. I have this pack and love it—comfortable at 41 lbs and easy to pack. Upgraded from a Gregory Palisade that is way too much bag for my current needs. Gregory makes great kit, however.
    So would you guys say the Deuter packs are among the best for carrying heavy loads comfortably in?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Hey guys I've looked in to every suggestion made here, even creating an excel spreadsheet to highlight the pro'/con's of each pack, however I've tweaked and refined my kit list to be 41lbs which is closer to the recommended maximum carry load for these ultralight packs that are on the market, now the only thing stopping me is the cost! Thanks for all your suggestions.
    Keep in mind when you get close to max weight on these packs they will most likely hurt you. I strongly recommend if you are going to carry 41 lbs, get a pack with a max weight around 50.
    Last edited by chiefduffy; 01-04-2013 at 17:09.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Another Catalyst vote.

So would you guys say the Deuter packs are among the best for carrying heavy loads comfortably in?
    I have a few packs and have tried a few others but I can't say I have extensive experience with too many brands. My Gregory Palisade is a tank. Nearly 7 lbs. when I first started backpacking we did 3-4 mile hikes into the woods and set up a base camp. Back then I was wearing jeans and wool sweaters and my pack was nearly 65 lbs. the Gregory carried that weight well and if I was going to need that much gear I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Gregory again.

The last time I brought the Palisade was to sequoia. My pack was about 45 lbs and a lot less bulky. The Palisade was too big and too heavy for the job. It wasn't easy to pack with a smaller volume of gear.

In the meantime I bought a osprey Stratos 36. Great pack for the size. And I LOVE the back panel that lets lair flow between the pack and your back. I don't think I've ever put more than 20 lbs in that but the quality of the bag is outstanding. My buddy who uses a 65 liter Osprey (Aether?) loves his and he typically carries about 45 lbs.

I was between 35 & 40 lbs for my next trip to Sawtooth Mountains. I was hoping for under 30 but I started bringing more camera equipment. I decided I wanted a smaller pack that was under 4 lbs, or as close to it as I could get.

Before the trip I looked at the Atmos, but rejected it due to the back panel. Similar to the Stratos (which I loved) but I didn't think it would easily fit a bear can. I actually purchased a Kestrel 68. This felt great fully loaded and was a fantastically well made pack. Then I put a full bladder in and it changed the shape of the back panel and made the whole pack uncomfortable—for me. So, I returned it to REI.

I tried the Gregory Savant 58 with about 30 lbs in the store. It felt great with that weight, but I thought I might have issues with the volume (again, needed to fit a bear can).

So, I decided against the savant and bought the Dueter. It easily fit the bear can, had enough volume for all of my gear, was 4 lbs and felt very comfortable fully loaded (about 40 lbs).

I haven't spent the time yet cutting off excess strap material, but I'm sure I could drop a few more ounces off the pack.

I'll never be UL. That's just not the way my friends an I backpack. But at 40 or more lbs you're not UL and are probably looking for a Osprey/Gregory/Dueter. All bombproof in my eyes. It looks like Gregory and Osprey are starting to fill in the 4 lbs 60L pack space in their lineups and I would have had a lot more to choose from if I was looking this year. But I am extremely happy with the Dueter and I would highly recommend the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    I think that someone needs to calculate an age-weight limit that becomes WB law

At 18, join the special forces and run with 125 lbs...............................scale the math down from there.

Q
    Considering the higher cost of the lightweight gear, income should be factored in the equation.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Two thumbs up on the Atmos 65. It's very comfortable and will handle the weight.

My problem with recommending ULA packs is even the manufacture does not recommend carrying a 44lb load, most recommend 40lb or less as a "MAX LOAD"

The Only ultra-light pack that I can say will definately take 44lb with ease is the stuff made by Kifaru, either the KU5200 or the KU3700 depending on how much room you need. They are made to handle 70lb and up. The only problem is the are crazy expensive.

http://store.kifaru.net/packs-c3.aspx

Other than that, like Chefduffy recommended get they lightest weight pack you can find that the manufacture says can definately handle loads up to 50lb. If you over pack and go beyond the manufactures suggest weight, the pack blow out and carrying your gear down the trail in your arms will be on you.

The way you asked your asked your initial question and the way some of your follow up questions have been worded it's going to lead to endless debate never really getting a targeted answer or bring you to a solid conclusion or concensus to your questions.

There are plenty of packs that are quite capable of handling heavy loads. Gregory, Osprey, Deuter, they all make packs with great suspensions that can easily carry 40 odd pounds, and certainly 50lbs. I've also heard rave reviews about the Arc'teryx Altra packs. Also of note, if you're on a budget, is the REI Crestrail series. I'm the type of person that errs on the side of caution, so I like having a bit more pack than I need. However, with that territory comes the risk of the "good idea" fairy. You have extra space, and the extra load hauling capability, so why not fill it? Just gotta be careful with that.

At the end of the day, it's all about the fit. Go to a store, try on as many packs as you possibly can! For a 40lbs load, I really wouldn't recommend any of the typical UL packs (aside from Kifaru). Think of it the same way you do a sleeping bag. The general advice is to use a sleeping bag that is rated for 10*-15* colder than the coldest temperature that you will encounter on a trip. It's the same way for packs. If you plan on carrying 40lbs, get a pack that can carry 50. Nothing is ever comfortable when it's pushed to its limit. A heavier pack that fits and carries weight comfortably IS a lighter pack at the end of the day.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ah we are on page two ... have you considered a Sherpa?

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=11616
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-02-2013 at 19:49.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Hi all, I currently have two lowe alpine rucksacks that are roughly 5.2lbs each and can carry up to 77lbs very comfortably all day long if need be.
    My question for you guys is this; does there exist a rucksack that is no more than 3.75lbs in weight that is capable of carrying a 44lb load very comfortably all day long? The reason I give 3.75lb as a maximum weight is because I want at least a 1.5lb drop it weight to justify spending the $$$ on a new lighter rucksack, anything less wouldn't really justify the costs.
    I eagerly await your reponses!
    It depends alot on what the 45 pounds is. 45 pounds of rocks or canned goods requires a different pack than 45 pounds of well packed gear. It is possible to pack your gear in such a way that the gear itself becomes the frame of the pack.

So the answer is a pack like a ULA Circuit or Catalyst, or maybe even a Golight Jam2 or Pinnacle, if you pack them right, but I think at 45 pounds you would need a well fitted hip belt, like the ULA vs the Golights. The hip belt doesn't really have to be all that well padded, as long as it is wide enough and shaped right, and is in the right place.

Lot of advantages though to being able to pack in a hurry without too much fuss, especially when doing a resupply in town. So it is good to have some extra volume, which can actually be a weight saver. Also a little more structure and a good hip belt, but it has to be done smart. Too much padding and weight is often just for appearance, or to allow for sloppy fits. Done smart a 2.5 to 3 pound pack for 45 pounds at 4000 to 6000 cubic inches should be very doable. I have a Jam2, and would not recommend it for more than 30 pounds, mostly for lack of hip belt as I can provide the structure. The ULA Catalyst I do not have and have not tried, but I would give it a go at 45 pounds for sure, if I lost 30 pounds off my belly first.

Hey guys I'm doing an unsupported 418km thru-hike in summer 2013 and believe me I have been dilligently lighteing my items of kit and spening plenty of $$ in the process. The food and water takes 25lbs on it's own, the other 18lbs is absolutely everything else from my pack to my shoes.

The pack itself is the last item of kit I could save a few lbs on so hence my question here.
    I totally get that. I would have to lose some belly fat to do what you are up to, but I like the idea of going longer between resupply. More independence and less distraction. Sobo or Nobo ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++