Default Overnight loop hike

I will be visiting friends in Ocala the last week in Jan.! Can you recommend a good overnight loop hike in that area? Thanks

You can't go wrong with a hike to hidden pond. One problem it isn't a loop hike. Still a great over night trip.

How many miles? Where would I get on the trail?

How far do you want to go? When in January are you planning on hiking (during or after hunting season)? Have you checked out floridahikes.com?

Looks like it will be Feb. rather than Jan.
    As for as distance, maybe 14-16 miles total. I'm just getting back into shape & don't want to push too hard.
    I did check out the Florida hikes site, thanks!
    Also I'm a hammock camper, are there any restrictions?

I understand that Florida bans hammocks in the State Forests. This may also be true in the parks.

I could be wrong, and I don't know how hard they enforce the rules. After all, if you're not caught...

This side of the dirt
    Images

I just purchased the guide book for the FL Trail and the South #1 that covers the Lake Arbuckle Loop. Hopefully it will be in todays mail.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Thanks! If absolutely necessary I can take a tent but would prefer my hammock

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fcoulter View Post
    I understand that Florida bans hammocks in the State Forests. This may also be true in the parks.

I could be wrong, and I don't know how hard they enforce the rules. After all, if you're not caught...
    Swap that. With a caveat.

Current legislation bans the use of hammocks (actually anything that hangs from a tree) within State Parks. This is not true for State Forests. Now the caveat. We are currently nearing the end (April) of a one-year pilot program where the state is trying to determine if this will be changed.

Before hanging in a State Park in Florida please contact Mr. Philip Madden with the Bureau of Operational Services. His contact info is (850) 245-3089 or [email protected]. He's been excellent to work with and will run interference before you arrive to make sure you don't run into any snags. If you hang in one of our State Parks please take a moment to fill out the brief survey to let the state know about your experience.

If you look at Hidden Pond and the Florida Trail which runs through, that falls within Ocala National Forest so you won't have any problem at all hanging.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

++ New Posts ++