WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Those MS delta folks don't think much of those high and mighty "Appalachian" folk, they just dont understand why you want to hike instead of growing cotton and catfish...you must be converted.
    Praise the Lord.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I'm slow every day...you should see me hike.
    (LOL)
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    MAX, I did, on WOOs suggestion......I think we've all been played.

I'm thinking that Walter Ellis burns his trash.
    while stirring the pot with hiking poles...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    Papa D - Not being argumentive here, just sharing my thoughts. End state questions from the OP were Why does such a lack of interest exist? What can we do as a hikng community to encourage more interest from minorities?

I do not like NASCAR or any form of auto racing for that matter. NASCAR is widely promoted, I know lots of folks who love it. I do not, personal choice.
    ATC, local backpacking/hiking clubs, retail chains like REI do a lot to promote backpacking/hiking activities. But, if you already have no inclination toward backpacking/hiking and noone from any of your circles of influence are into backpacking/hiking, chances are you won't be either. Nor will you likely go out looking for backpacking/hiking assests (internet, or otherwise). You will stick to areas that you want to spend your limited time and energies doing.

Furlough
    ok - makes sense to me

Images

FWIW - I just noticed that Walter Ellis is a new WB member - - you know what's really funny is that you never see Walter and Wannabe together at the same time - - sort of like Clark Kent and Superman - - funny.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Ellis View Post
    During the course of many hikes over the years I noticed there was very few people of color and those that I did encounter were usually foreign tourists or children in scout troops.Now I do not believe nor am I insinuating that the hiking community is racist because even if primarily white it is very diverse group of individuals each with our own style. I believe this has more to do with a lack of interest within the minority community. Why does such a lack of interest exist? What can we do as a hikng community to encourage more interest from minorities?
    Why would any one of any color want to change anything about the AT? I am new to this great new world and looks like hiking utopia to me, not perfect! Read the history and what others have given for us to have a walk with nature. I would be careful of pushing for any fast change just for the sake of change. You either get it or not matter what color you are. See you all in the spring. Hike On!!!

Miller

The military and in particular Special Forces, is disproportionately represented by minorities and no one really seems to be able to crack the code on this. Anytime someone tries to address this they get punched in the face as the Commandant of the Marine Corps General Mundy did a number of years ago when he merely stated that facts which are that blacks perform horribly in swimming and on Land Navigation and have a real rough time graduating from OCS or TBS. In reaction to the unspoken perception that the Marine Corps was not embracing diversity and in particular black officers the Marine Corps in particular went out of its way to try to recruit more minorities and I think the payback if you want to call it that was negligible. I think it's a cultural thing. I bet there are few inner city black, white, yellow or brown kids who want to hike and if they stay inner city, they never will. One of my ambitions is/was to start a backpacking guide service to get kids who are not associated with scouting, 4H or do not have parents intro this kind of thing and take them out, with their father or mother and let them safely experience the outdoors. If we do not get them out there, we will have lost an entire generation to technology instead of the serenity and wonders we all experience when we are out there with no other distractions.
    We can call it "Hoods in the woods."

Journal Entries

During the course of many hikes over the years I noticed there was very few people of color and those that I did encounter were usually foreign tourists or children in scout troops.Now I do not believe nor am I insinuating that the hiking community is racist because even if primarily white it is very diverse group of individuals each with our own style. I believe this has more to do with a lack of interest within the minority community. Why does such a lack of interest exist? What can we do as a hikng community to encourage more interest from minorities?
    What about SNAKES? Hike On!!!

Miller

I've observed the same thing but we don't need any more community organizers working to achieve "racial diversity", we already have one in the White House. I have never yet met one hiker on the AT who expressed any racist views. IMO there's a perception amongst many "city folk" (of all ethnic backgrounds) that the Appalachian mountains and the AT are populated by hillbilliess, hicks, and inbreds, and that would include you AT hikers. Maybe they saw "Deliverance" once too often.

So these "city folk" don't really want to come out to the woods and dirty their $150 Nike Jordan shoes on the trail, they would rather get their physical training on the living room couch in front of their flat screen TVs.

llis;1382665]During the course of many hikes over the years I noticed there was very few people of color and those that I did encounter were usually foreign tourists or children in scout troops.Now I do not believe nor am I insinuating that the hiking community is racist because even if primarily white it is very diverse group of individuals each with our own style. I believe this has more to do with a lack of interest within the minority community. Why does such a lack of interest exist? What can we do as a hikng community to encourage more interest from minorities?[/QUOTE]

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

If this was a troll attempt, it was a remarkably unsuccessful one. Aside from one mildly incorrect term for persons without a melanin deficiency, it has stirred up remarkably little nastiness.

I've puzzled over the ethnic breakdown of hikers myself - and don't have a good answer. But maybe that's because the race I care about most is the human race. I plead guilty to having an inadequate ration of white guilt. Another example of the cluelessness of this clueless weekender.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I believe that Walter Ellis is a troll, another manifestation of the one(s) who've been around the last little while.

That said, why is it necessary for the hiking community to embrace minorities? In my experience, anyone on the trail is recognized as a "hiker" and it doesn't much matter what color, creed, age or sex that hiker is. If you reach out to the public in general, that includes minorities who may or may not be interested in the activity (just like anyone else).

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I believe that Walter Ellis is a serial troll.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    Thanks H.B. This is the correct answer - - basically, minority youth has very few role models in our realm. When I do see minority kids in the woods, they are invariably being dragged through the woods, ill equipped by leaders of some "inner city youth program" or "hoods in the woods program" - - these poor kids end up being blistered, cold, wet, and unimpressed and rarely return.
    I worked at a wilderness program with adjudicated teenagers (i.e. "hoods in the woods") for 11 years. Approximately 80% of our students were poor, inner-city African Americans who had had extremely limited experience with anything other than their own neighborhoods and being locked-up. It was a voluntary program, and although our equipment wasn't ultra-light or fancy, it was appropriate and durable (able to take much abuse). The point of the program wasn't to create backpackers or climbers or paddlers or equestrians, though we did all of those activities. The point was to help these youth expand their horizons. They experienced difficult challenges and the pride that comes from succeeding at difficult tasks; they experienced natural consequences and learned how to make better choices; they also learned that they were capable of a lot more than they ever dreamed possible.

There were many magical moments out there with these kids. Expressions such as "I never knew there was anything so beautiful" and "I wish grandma could see this place. It's just so peaceful" are not what you expect to hear from "gangstas". Nor do you expect "gangstas" to want to sit quietly by a powerful waterfall or silently gaze at distant ridges from the top of a mountain, but they often do when given the chance. I cherish the time that I got to spend with these students on the trail and in the woods. Some even expressed an interest in pursuing outdoor activities in their future. All of them expressed excitement at sharing the stories of their adventures with their family and friends back home...maybe this will plant some seeds for the future.

There are many historical, cultural and economic reasons why many minority groups have avoided, feared or not felt included in wilderness pursuits. I hope we do continue to find ways to invite our neighbors and include people of diverse backgrounds to enjoy the wilderness. This will help them know that this gift also belongs to them to enjoy and protect.

Quote Originally Posted by NotYet View Post
    I worked at a wilderness program with adjudicated teenagers (i.e. "hoods in the woods") for 11 years. Approximately 80% of our students were poor, inner-city African Americans who had had extremely limited experience with anything other than their own neighborhoods and being locked-up. It was a voluntary program, and although our equipment wasn't ultra-light or fancy, it was appropriate and durable (able to take much abuse). The point of the program wasn't to create backpackers or climbers or paddlers or equestrians, though we did all of those activities. The point was to help these youth expand their horizons. They experienced difficult challenges and the pride that comes from succeeding at difficult tasks; they experienced natural consequences and learned how to make better choices; they also learned that they were capable of a lot more than they ever dreamed possible.

There were many magical moments out there with these kids. Expressions such as "I never knew there was anything so beautiful" and "I wish grandma could see this place. It's just so peaceful" are not what you expect to hear from "gangstas". Nor do you expect "gangstas" to want to sit quietly by a powerful waterfall or silently gaze at distant ridges from the top of a mountain, but they often do when given the chance. I cherish the time that I got to spend with these students on the trail and in the woods. Some even expressed an interest in pursuing outdoor activities in their future. All of them expressed excitement at sharing the stories of their adventures with their family and friends back home...maybe this will plant some seeds for the future.

There are many historical, cultural and economic reasons why many minority groups have avoided, feared or not felt included in wilderness pursuits. I hope we do continue to find ways to invite our neighbors and include people of diverse backgrounds to enjoy the wilderness. This will help them know that this gift also belongs to them to enjoy and protect.
    Great post. If the original intent of the OP was trolling, he failed completely after reading this response.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    MAX, I did, on WOOs suggestion......I think we've all been played.

I'm thinking that Walter Ellis burns his trash.
    No I do not burn my trash I strongly believe and adamantly practice leave not trace principles as it is our duty to preserve the wonderous beauty of our environment and be generous caretakers of our wilderness areas so our children and grandchildren may enjoy them as we have for generations to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    If this was a troll attempt, it was a remarkably unsuccessful one. Aside from one mildly incorrect term for persons without a melanin deficiency, it has stirred up remarkably little nastiness.

I've puzzled over the ethnic breakdown of hikers myself - and don't have a good answer. But maybe that's because the race I care about most is the human race. I plead guilty to having an inadequate ration of white guilt. Another example of the cluelessness of this clueless weekender.
    I agree... I think you're right...I'm smelling a rat! I think it was a good "test" for WB members. We passed with "almost" flying colors...

What a great way to start off the New Year!!

Images

You can end all this troll talk by giving us your take on your original post. 5 pages, 94 posts and we don't know how YOU feel.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NotYet View Post

what a wonderful post. about 10 yrs ago i didnt have a car and was taking the bus from brooklyn through far rockaway. the local school had just let out and the bus was filled with kids. a summer thundertorm had just blown through and for a few minutes a beautiful rainbow appeared. they were all talking amongst themselves and never noticed it. so i loudly pointed it out and they all turned silent. most had never seen a rainbow before. actually they had probably seen hundreds, but this was the first time they actually saw it.one even asked me again what it was called. ill never forget that look of wonder on their faces.
    priceless

Images

No I do not burn my trash I strongly believe and adamantly practice leave not trace principles as it is our duty to preserve the wonderous beauty of our environment and be generous caretakers of our wilderness areas so our children and grandchildren may enjoy them as we have for generations to come.
    your grammar and diction is better than our previous Troll suspect too. Thanks - - I will take you at your word and will not be suspicious that this is tongue and cheek. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now. BUT, most new members don't just jump in and start new threads. Usually, they start by lurking around a bit and reading other threads, then, they respond to threads and spend a little time creating a profile with photos, and background info. You immediately signed up and started something somewhat controversial which is a little weird. You might also be a victim of some Troll sensitive tendencies right now - - we think one has been lurking. He recently posted about burning trash thus the nature of the previous comment which was meant to humorously suggest that you might be him in disguise. Regards.

Images

To the OP. I'm an American. What are you?

My grandchildren include Americans of African, English, German, Arabic, Mexican, Puerto Rican (which is part of USA), Native American, and Appalachian American descent.

Take your race baiting elsewhere (like a country like Mexico where they hurt illegal aliens).
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Give the US Gov time. They'll figure out a way to force diversity on the trail. Handicapped access will be right in there, paved trails, etc.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++