WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Give the US Gov time. They'll figure out a way to force diversity on the trail. Handicapped access will be right in there, paved trails, etc.
    yeah this diversity thing is a threat to the american way

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    what a wonderful post. about 10 yrs ago i didnt have a car and was taking the bus from brooklyn through far rockaway. the local school had just let out and the bus was filled with kids. a summer thundertorm had just blown through and for a few minutes a beautiful rainbow appeared. they were all talking amongst themselves and never noticed it. so i loudly pointed it out and they all turned silent. most had never seen a rainbow before. actually they had probably seen hundreds, but this was the first time they actually saw it.one even asked me again what it was called. ill never forget that look of wonder on their faces.
    priceless
    What a wonderful opportunity to share! You didn't miss it. :

I have been in some sort of sports all my life. And making one a career. I see everyone as a colored person. Some are white in color. There is ample opportunity for anyone to go hiking any where in the world. there are inner city and country programs for kids. There is equipment available for their use. It all comes down to if a person wantS to do it. They will find a way. No matter what color they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    while stirring the pot with hiking poles...
    .....while herman2feathers pours fuel on the fire

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Give the US Gov time. They'll figure out a way to force diversity on the trail. Handicapped access will be right in there, paved trails, etc.
    There is already federally mandated handicapped access on the trail. All privies built with federal funds have wheelchair ramps ad per the ADA requirements.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetspot View Post
    I have been in some sort of sports all my life. And making one a career. I see everyone as a colored person. Some are white in color. There is ample opportunity for anyone to go hiking any where in the world. there are inner city and country programs for kids. There is equipment available for their use. It all comes down to if a person wantS to do it. They will find a way. No matter what color they are.
    It's difficult to know that you want something if you don't really know that it exists (or even if you do know that it exists but don't really know what it is or how it might relate to you). I think it's wonderful when individuals and/or organizations reach out to provide outdoor experiences to others. You never know how it may impact someone's life when you invite them to participate in an experience that they've never even imagined. Nature is a powerful teacher, but many have no awareness that nature could be a part of their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by avalonmorn View Post
    .....while herman2feathers pours fuel on the fire
    How so and in what way? Please explain yourself because your remark has thrown me for a loop.

There is plenty of programs already in place for people of any color to find the outdoors. Its what they chose to do or not do.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetspot View Post
    There is plenty of programs already in place for people of any color to find the outdoors. Its what they chose to do or not do.
    youre missing the point. they cant choose to do something they are unaware of.

I a not missing the point. You are not getting it. There is plenty of simulation for a lot of things including the outdoors. The ones that want to go hiking they find a way.

The ones that want to go to college they find a way ,the ones that want to learn to ride a horse they find a way,the ones that want to be a baker they find a way.

And money has nothing to do with it.

buncha upper class whiteys talkin' about somethin' y'all know nothin' about

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    youre missing the point. they cant choose to do something they are unaware of.
    So by your logic overweight people are fat because they are unaware of how to exercise & eat properly or that the unemployed are simply unaware of job openings or is that dying cancer patient unaware of a miracle cure?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by herman2feathers View Post
    So by your logic overweight people are fat because they are unaware of how to exercise & eat properly or that the unemployed are simply unaware of job openings or is that dying cancer patient unaware of a miracle cure?
    you are stretching my "logic".my "logic"is simply turning someone on to the miracles of nature. why would you have an issue with that.
    and if i knew of a miracle cure for a dying cancer patient, are you suggesting i should keep that information from him?

Oprah's takin' care of it.

Why does anything have to be done by those in the hiking community?? I grew up in the country, we hunted, fished, canoed, hiked and camped, it was part of my heritage. While those in an urban enviroment probably did not do much of those things. If you look close you would see a great disparity in people of color in most outdoor pursuits, hunting is another prime example. In my 60 years I have seen fewer than a dozen people of color canoeing in wilderness situations. Truth is nothing needs to be done, there are NO barriers that have been set up to keep anyone who is able from doing any of these things, it simply a matter of choice, plain and simple. There I contributed my rant for the entertainment of OP troll. IMO
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Thank You 4Bears just what I was trying to say. You said it better. And Lone Wolf if you were referring to me as upper white class not knowing what they are talking. I am not upper white class and I have over 30 years working with not only at risk kids but adults to. So you don't know me or what I have done to help all colors of people. And or those of you that don't know the white class is the minority.

Images

The real question goes beyond ethnicity and race as to why more people aren't hiking our nations trails. I do believe that the suppression that kept blacks down for generations does bear creedence in their lack of interest in experiencing the trail.
    However ,from my interactions with co-workers,I see many people that are simply uninformed about hiking or even the rudimentary knowledge about our State or National forests and parks.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I don't think anyone was implying that we need to force diversity on the trail. But I do believe most hikers are willing to share the wilderness with others, and it would benefit us all if more people understood the value of the wilderness. Most children of lower socio-economic groups of any ethnicity living in the inner-cities have no idea of what an experience in the wilderness could be. Expecting someone to want something they know abosultely nothing about makes little sense. The value of the wilderness gets instilled when people who know it to be true share this knowledge and wisdom and hopefully experience with those who don't know it to be true...I see nothing wrong with wanting more people to appreciate nature's gifts.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++