WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I carried a Iron 12 quart dutch oven 12 miles when i was in scouts. the pack weighed almost what i did at that time.

Images

A Bible. Now, I realize that's not unusual -- plenty of hikers carry a little Bible. But this was a beautiful full-size copy, the kind of thing you'd keep on its own table in the family room and pass down through the generations. Must have weighed a ton. I think it was the same guy who had a mesh bag with a month's worth of food. Enough to get him from Springer to Hot Springs, if I remember his plan correctly.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    ** Humped in a 120 lb iron woodstove up a thousand feet on a one mile trail.
    Man's gotta eat.
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

I ran into an Englishman who had a cricket bat. I ran into a guy who was holding two metal dumbells and walking on the trail (for fitness I assume)...but then he talked to us about the end of the world that was going to happen later that month..crazy stuff. Cases of beer, a small keg of Heinekin beer, a construction workers hard hat (with the name Torrence Bean on it) that had fallen off a truck presumably and then adopted and carried by the hiker with the intent of making it to Mt Katahdin taking a picture with it and finding the owner presumably in Virginia to return it with the story and pictures in tow.

Images

This was in northern Michigan years ago.

Hiking in pictured rocks. Just at dark as the sun was dropping, I saw a large group of people walking toward me all wearing dark hooded robes with rope belts, all carrying lit candles. A pretty spooky sight all alone in the middle of no where, in the dark.

In hind sight I figured they were probably frat kids from NMU, but at the time all I could think of was Rosemary's Baby

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    An iguana.
    Was this with a male moving SOBO in 2010? If so I met that guy in Mass. Likely the weirdest single item I saw.

Though I enjoyed the guy with a double burner coleman stove two fuel tanks 5lbs bacon and 2 ounces of weed was entertaining. Met a guy starting a SOBO carrying 3 Ka-Bars (I guess he was gonna juggle if a bear came).

One of those portable DVD TV combo's, also i meet a german guy this year that had a lawn chair and in NH i saw a guy that had a bunch of Fire works he was going to set them off on Katahdan but i think the ranger's in BSP put a stop to his plans, in 2006 me and a friend shared a bowling ball, and a stuffed monkey. RED-DOG

[QUOTE=Donde;1383900}...Though I enjoyed the guy with a double burner coleman stove two fuel tanks 5lbs bacon and 2 ounces of weed was entertaining...[/QUOTE]

I think, I met that same guy, possibly in VA, because that describes who I met to a tee. He also had a large iron skillet and large flask of ? I saw him taking a rest stop at a shelter where he proceeded to break out the Coleman Double Burner and fry up a steak AND bacon. He slathered the bacon with Helmann's mayonaisse he had taken from a glass jar. Then he pulled out two ozs of weed in separate baggies for dessert. I hung around for a while amazed at what he was carrying. He said he had in access of 80 lbs on his back but was only going 30 miles or so. This is the same guy I mentioned in my previous post who had both a hatchet and long handled axe attached to the outside of his pack. Can't understand why but he complained about knee problems and had a brace on one knee!

I remembered another one. This LT section hiker carried a boom box sized radio/TV screen combination electronics piece that I had never seen and have never seen again. He would listen to it as he hiked. He stopped alot and watched the small TV screen. He also felt the need to watch and listen to baseball games into the late night at shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    One of those portable DVD TV combo's, also i meet a german guy this year that had a lawn chair and in NH i saw a guy that had a bunch of Fire works he was going to set them off on Katahdan but i think the ranger's in BSP put a stop to his plans, in 2006 me and a friend shared a bowling ball, and a stuffed monkey. RED-DOG
    RED-DOG, if he carried the stuffed monkey, and he "let" you carry the bowling ball, he was not your friend......

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty DPD View Post
    In August, we passed two middle age guys, one; black tee w/camo trousers & military boots, not unusual. His side kick, Gestapo; German uniform head to toe. Colonel Klink (Clink) hat, wool jacket, w/ badges & medals, & armband, belt, holster, wool spats, high german boots, sweatin' like a pig. Both had period canteens, no packs. It was the 1st time in 30+ yrs of backpacking, that I caught myself looking over my shoulder.
    Was ist Los? wo ist Ihre Kamera? Wir, die Bild was oder wir Sie schießen!

Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 01-02-2013 at 16:47.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Was ist Los? wo ist Ihre Kamera? Wir, die Bild was oder wir Sie schießen!

They could have been brothers, no monocle as I remember.

Images

In the Buffalo National Wilderness in Arkansas I saw a guy with what appeared to be an empty 25 liter daypack strapped to a 75 liter pack. That one confused me.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Names omitted to protect the...well, you know...

Was hiking last spring in southern VA and stopped at a shelter south of McAfee Knob. As it was hiker midnight, I crawled into my bag to join my family alone in the shelter that night. Around the edge of the shelter wall I see a light and hear giant "clonking" noises getting closer. Suddenly, around the side a bright light shines in my face and a thru (not sure I believed that) introduces himself to me, inquires about some other hikers and the spring, then decides to press on to find them. Just before he leaves he asks if I need anything. Well, I had to stifle a laugh since it looked like he was carrying everything you could need to summit Everest, including what looked like 200 feet of rope coiled around his head - in the dark it looked like he had giant dreadlocks. Oh and those clonking noises? Two wooden poles that reached up to his head. Probably could have used them as stilts. I later thought how funny it would have been to ask for a few feet of rope just because...

On another hike through the Shennies, met a guy who pulled an accordion out of his pack. Must have weighed 5 pounds. He didn't know how to play but was "figuring it out" as he went along.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by twilight View Post
    How 'bout a full size cabin. Think of the ones you find at Walmart.

Twilight
    That was suppose to be full size cabin tent.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha_Ace View Post
    In the Buffalo National Wilderness in Arkansas I saw a guy with what appeared to be an empty 25 liter daypack strapped to a 75 liter pack. That one confused me.
    I don't know what the Buffalo National Wilderness is like, but it sounds flat?

That sort of thing is common in the Adirondack High Peaks. People carry crazy loads a few miles into a lean-to or campsite, make a base camp, and then do day hikes from their base camp to bag the peaks. Seeing someone carry a daypack strapped to a big pack isn't remarkable there.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by twilight View Post
    That was suppose to be full size cabin tent.
    Twilight, I was wondering about that, however, you DID say Walmart, so I thought it was another heavy camping item that they sell. When I decided to start hiking, I bought a headlamp from them, and I swear it was so heavy that it gave me whiplash. I scared a lot of buffalo on the wildlife reservation at Ft. Sill Oklahoma. I still do dumb things, BUT I don't buy much gear from Walmart now.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I don't know what the Buffalo National Wilderness is like, but it sounds flat?

That sort of thing is common in the Adirondack High Peaks. People carry crazy loads a few miles into a lean-to or campsite, make a base camp, and then do day hikes from their base camp to bag the peaks. Seeing someone carry a daypack strapped to a big pack isn't remarkable there.
    You are spot on....there are very active hiking clubs in Arkansas, and I believe that you are correct. They keep their trails as maintained as they can in the wilderness. The Buffalo Wilderness is a paradise for hikers, canoe people, campers, and people that like to blaze their own way to see hidden waterfalls and old homesteads, you would enjoy visiting.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    Was this with a male moving SOBO in 2010? If so I met that guy in Mass. Likely the weirdest single item I saw.
    It was a SOBO in 2010, I passed him in Shenandoah. I told him that I thought it would be nice if it ate those gnats that swarm around your eyes and ears, but he told me that it eats fruit.

Seen a guy carrying a huge bible, 3 quart pot and 1.75 liters of whiskey in a glass bottle. Marcus was carrying a machete and a blowgun. He said the blowgun was for darting frogs to eat LOL. Met a weirdo who was carrying 3 pot pipes and was smoking hemp or horsemint seedlings he picked. This weirdo Wild,man was carrying a scooter. For a while he was carrying a 9 pound air rifle. He said he shot and ate a chimpmunk. Wild,man gave that air rifle away eventualy.

Images

In the barefoot sisters book there's a guy toting a tuba around, and I've heard if this guy who had a battery powered tv with him so he could watch jeopardy.
    can't never did

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++