WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Parking near bly gap?

I wanna pick up my section hike where I left off last year at Neels Gap. I would like to finish off Georgia this year which obviously means hiking to Bly gap. Is there parking near the gap that a normal fwd car could make it down? Where is the nearest paved parking lot to bly gap?

My bad, maybe I should have posted this in the trail head section,

Probably only the road crossings in GA, the last one may be 8 miles from the NC state line.

Their is no Road Access to Bly Gap, The nearest is F.S 72 at Blue Ridge Gap and thats a little south of bly Gap, However your best bet would be Deep Gap N.C 26 which is the closest Road access to the North there is parking their but i don't know how safe it is, also what i would do if i was you is that i would contact the GATC and they would have all the information that you would need. Go have lots of fun and happy hiking. RED-DOG

Either backtrack to Dicks Creek Gap or continue on into NC until you reach Deep Gap. Its a forest service road to Deep Gap but don't worry about that; its a good road and any passenger car can drive on it. One other alternative would be to hike the Kimsey Creek Trail from Deep Gap to Standing Indian Campground. All paved roads to there.

I would leave my car without worries at Dicks Creek or Deep Gap. I would leave my car inside the SIC (fee). I would not leave my car at the hiker parking outside of SIC. Most people here disagree with me about the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyte-w8-hyker View Post
    I wanna pick up my section hike where I left off last year at Neels Gap. I would like to finish off Georgia this year which obviously means hiking to Bly gap. Is there parking near the gap that a normal fwd car could make it down? Where is the nearest paved parking lot to bly gap?

I parked my car at Deep Gap NC last year - it is not paved but safe to leave your car. Be sure you have a clear plan for a shuttle or friend to pick you up though. The cell service there is terrible, and when our shuttle did not show up, we almost had to backtrack on a long dirt, pothole-filled road for a ways to make a call. An alternative is that there is a little-known blue blaze trail that leaves the AT right at the Bly Gap infamous tree and leads out to a road. It's about 3 miles long and a little hard to find, but we ended up taking it down to a road where a shuttle from the Top of Georgia hostel met us and took us back to our car. An alternative would be to go SOB and end at Neels Gap, where there is ample paved parking. Good luck!

FYI: The Road to Deep Gap is closed until April 1. I was going to section hike Deep Gap south to Dicks Creek, but had to change my plans. I called the North Carolina forest service and confirmed this on the phone with an actual person. She said it is closed every year from Jan 4 to April 1. (I imagine dates might vary here in future years, so call ahead if reading this after 2016)

From what I heard, the road is fine and safe for leaving cars. It is way off the beaten path, and I would personally feel much better leaving it here than Dicks Creek, plus you get 9 miles of NC in, which you will probably want to do next anyway.

Deep gap is safe to park at, its way back a fs road and I have parked there 2 times. A warning for winter times though, it is heavily forested and blow downs can occur during snow
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Deep gap is safe to park at, its way back a fs road and I have parked there 2 times. A warning for winter times though, it is heavily forested and blow downs can occur during snow
    Isn't deep gap closer in the winter months?
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    If I remember, they don't open the road until sometime in March.

I'm going to section hike starting at Mountain Crossing and ending in NC at the Deep Gap parking lot. Anyone doing a similar hike and want to ride share or split the shuttle costs?

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I parked there on Thanksgiving 2014. Road covered in snow
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++