WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLP38 View Post
    Drop Box: Looking up the Drop Box website I see you only get 2gb free. Plans start at $10 a month for 100gb 200gb and 500gb plans. Well....2gb is definately not enough for video.
    I'm using a 64gb iPhone for this reason. If you're spending the cash, an extra $100 to double your memory (from 32 to 64gb) seems like a decent investment. I had a 32gb phone and was running out of room, granted once I saved all my camera roll pics on the computer, I freed up quite a bit of space.

For the AT, you can look at getting an online photo service (e.g. photobucket, Flickr - both of these have apps) and upload your pics when in town (I would do this in wifi and not 3G though). If you start running out of room on the mini, you can just delete them since you will already have them online. I would use a service I can upload and download full size pics preferably. Most of these also allow you to upload video, but Vimeo and Youtube both have their own apps that allow for direct uploading to their sites (if you are using either one). Again you can delete the videos off your device to save memory (even with a 64gb size, I suspect this will be required). Doing it this way allows you to buy a 32gb iPad for instance and in theory you could put that extra $ towards a storage plan with one of these photo services (e.g. photobucket offers 2gb free and extra storage starts at $30/yr for 20gb).

Waterproofing - you can look at getting something like a Lifeproof case, they don't seem to have an IPM yet but I'm sure it won't be long. You can also buy/make a waterproof cuben fiber sack and use that as far as storage. I would probably go the CF route myself if not using the device while hiking (for photo and video taking). It's significantly lighter than a real case. Personally I wouldn't worry about the glass, other than the weight itself. As always HYOH.

Dropbox is great but the downside is that the dropbox folder on my 1 computer is 1.5gb, and on my other computer that same dropbox folder is also 1.5gb, on a 3rd computer, that folder is also 1.5gb. So now I have 1.5gb, taking up 4.5gb of space across all my computers. As far as the app on an iDevice goes, it physically contains only your dropbox favourites on the device itself, you can see all of your files of course. Of course you're free to download everything if you'd like, but the limitations is still the free account storage limit or you pay. There are ways to get more free storage, I'm up to 6.2gb free so far (one way was to upload I think it was 2gb of photos and you got to keep that 2gb, I deleted the photos a day later to free up the space).

Get a Samsung Note 2.

Light (180g), blazing fast, good size screen (5.5"), amazing battery life (1 1/2 days with heavy use) and swappable battery. It's the best of both world (phone + tablet). Couldn't be happier on and off the trail.

Well, I did it. Last night I purchased a new iPad Mini 32GB with 4G AT&T tablet. Got all the basics installed so far and find seeing facebook and Netflix to work flawelessly. Next step if it install either my Andriod App Backcountry Navagator or have to buy the Apply equilivent of that. I paid $50 for that app with the pruchase only map and hope they have an iPad version. Caltopo US 24k topo map which cost $30. Then I can confirm that GPS does work.

Congrats on your new toy, just so you know AT&T doesn't have service on much of the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
    Congrats on your new toy, just so you know AT&T doesn't have service on much of the trail.
    Man, I knew it. I bought this 1month used on Craigslist with 2 year extended warranty for $500. Saved myself $200. I really wanted White with Verizon but wanted to save money. My Samsung Galaxy S3 is on T-Mobile. So either way im screwed lol

Last night I installed more apps. Go HBO, Cox Cable TV, Ebay, Amazon, used iCloud to get my bookmarks over from main PC. Trip to Starbucks we used that Apple Map navigation program which I could see the speed of my car even in parkinglots. that was really cool. Even in 3D mode. 4G is FAST. Impressive.
    I started watching Lost Girl series. HBO Go has all the seasons and episodes unlike Cox Ondemand. That right there is worth hundred's of dollars in DVD purchases.
    It was very convenient being able to surf the web for hiking gear at Starbucks with friends and being able to show the ads and photo's to each other on the big screen. Until now its been the Samsung Galaxy S3 3.8" screen. we were comparing Six Moon Design tents and Gossomer Gear backbacks

For those using Dropbox, there is a similar service called box.com. It's pretty much the same thing. If you sign up using a mobile device, I'm pretty sure you start out at 5GB free.

I use both and both work well. I use Dropbox more frequently when sharing files with others (they are more familiar with this service) and Box for my own use.

TRU ...

Got Drop Box installed. Nice. Now I need a really good GPS Hiking Map app. On my andriod Samsung Galaxy S3 phone I used BackCountry Navigator but they don't make that as an ipad app. Any recommendations that will allow me to inport GPS format from Appalachian Trails Conservatory maps?

Images

I use Gaia, which seems pretty cool, though I have no idea if it will import GPS files.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

this will be handy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Journal Entries
    Images

I never much appreciated Stars and the night sky, but my Mini has opened up a whole new world. Or should I say worlds.

The "Pocket Universe" app is very cool. The free version is good and the $2.99 version is even better.

Since when is there an iPad 4?
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

88blue,

The "quietly" released the iPad 4 at the same time as the iPad mini. It didn't get a whole lot of fanfare. Very similar to the iPad 3, but with a faster processor.

TRU ...

They just announced the new iPad 128gb version. Going to be $1000 with 4G. crazy.

Well, I downloaded and installed Giai. Looks great and very easy to use. BIG differance over Backcountry Navigator for the andriod. Yes, it does use GPS files, so that means I can go get the big AT file over at the AT website. Also, on the itunes store there is about 8 apps at $2 each for differant sections of the AT.

how many Ipads do you see on the trail ?

Images

Let's see, 8, carry the two, square root of ummm, integrate over the variable.......

None.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dornstar View Post
    Get a Samsung Note 2.

Light (180g), blazing fast, good size screen (5.5"), amazing battery life (1 1/2 days with heavy use) and swappable battery. It's the best of both world (phone + tablet). Couldn't be happier on and off the trail.
    This would have been the nest option for sure...

Default ouch

I would break mine day one. Big $$$$ ouch. Just take your favorite book and a flashlight.

This is definitely one of those HYOH topics.
    I dig the tech gadgets and use my iPad like crazy. I wouldn't even think of bothering with such a thing on a thru hike though.
    Load it with a bunch of stuff you can use without internet access because service along the trail especially AT&T is going to be bad.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

I was about to post a forum question about which service and whether Samsung Galaxy sIII or Note 2

So I did a search and came up with the answers in this forum post.

Thank you ... Verizon [switching from AT&T] and the Note 2. Now ... to hope it's on sale next Month ... PM me if you know of a coupon or where I can locate the best deal ...

Coosa
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Let's see, 8, carry the two, square root of ummm, integrate over the variable.......
    None.
    I saw 1. He was hold up in town trying to get it recharged though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++