WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Hiking the AT with $1000 in my bank account

I'm not going to spend money in town, I'm not going to pay to stay in a hotel. This is strictly a trip along the AT and for someone that's trying to get away from society I'd say this is do able. I have 6+ months supply of food that I'm shipping out along the trail as well as extra shoes and misc gear. The $1000 is just extra.

What about clothes? also transportation? How are you planning on getting home from ME? And as far as the hotels go, it is up to you. however, its much easier said when you are under your roof, when you're on the trail I'm sure you'll begin to feel differently about those hotels and restaurants.
    Your mountain is waiting, so get on your way

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlan View Post
    I'm not going to spend money in town, I'm not going to pay to stay in a hotel. This is strictly a trip along the AT and for someone that's trying to get away from society I'd say this is do able. I have 6+ months supply of food that I'm shipping out along the trail as well as extra shoes and misc gear. The $1000 is just extra.
    That's what they all say...

I think a lot will come down to whether you can force yourself to eat the food you've purchased. You'll also need good luck that you gear holds out and that the extra shoes still fit when you need them.

Theoretically it could be possible. Get a late start for better weather, try to "bathe" and "do laundry" on the trail may help you feel more like you're living on the trail and not simply doing short hikes from town to town.

Whether you finish or not, you're sure to have an adventure! Leave yourself with enough money to get your life back in order once you get home afterwards...

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

If you want to get away from society on a budget, do some trail crew work. They feed you well, you get to work in some beautiful and remote places and some even offer a small stipend.

http://www.backdoorjobs.com/maine-co...ion-corps.html
    http://www.trailcrew.org/
    http://www.wta.org/volunteer/trail-work-parties
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mthood...fsbdev3_036682

Otherwise you are 19. Pick up a job at home depot for a bit, save up money and then hike when you don't have to worry about a tiny budget as much. $4000 or so is a good base line. At $8 an hour, that's $250 a wk after taxes roughly working full time. Work for about 6 mos and you have over $6k. Assuming you don't have too many responsibilities at your age, you can easily use $3000 of that for your AT hike savings (if not more). (ARe you living at home for example?)

That puts you in later June and about the right time for a SoBo hike.

Working and saving money ain't romantic..but it IS realistic.

Or you can scrimp by on $1000 for a thru-hike (ha! ), hike a few weeks on the AT for a nice section hike or look at other alternatives.
    Last edited by Mags; 01-04-2013 at 15:40.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Go for it.

And if you only take 100 days to do the trail it might even cost you less.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosaphone View Post
    That's what they all say...

I think a lot will come down to whether you can force yourself to eat the food you've purchased. You'll also need good luck that you gear holds out and that the extra shoes still fit when you need them.

Theoretically it could be possible. Get a late start for better weather, try to "bathe" and "do laundry" on the trail may help you feel more like you're living on the trail and not simply doing short hikes from town to town.

Whether you finish or not, you're sure to have an adventure! Leave yourself with enough money to get your life back in order once you get home afterwards...
    "force yourself to eat the food you've bought"?

What does that mean exactly? Don't you eat the food you've bought in towns along the way? Don't people even try to mix things up a bit on their menus or do you think its all ramen and spam and tuna and mac'n'cheese?
    The food/snacks/desserts I'm shipping to myself for my next thru will have so much variety, I'll be the envy of every hiker.

Either walk as far as you get( which a high probability is less than 1/2 ) or get a job and save more to hike later.. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlan View Post

I see no reason you can't do it, just a matter of doing without, if you're accustomed to doing without you'll make it fine, if not you'll be home soon.

Report back to us when you've finished your hike and let us know how you did (honestly).

Images

"How to Thru-Hike the Appalachian Trail with only $1000" - I'd buy that book

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    "force yourself to eat the food you've bought"?

What does that mean exactly? Don't you eat the food you've bought in towns along the way? Don't people even try to mix things up a bit on their menus or do you think its all ramen and spam and tuna and mac'n'cheese?
    The food/snacks/desserts I'm shipping to myself for my next thru will have so much variety, I'll be the envy of every hiker.
    I mean unless you're an experienced hiker and know what you will want to eat, mail dropping food can be hit or miss. I've read trail journals of people who put a lot of thought and care into it, and it works out really well for them. On the other hand, there are plenty of examples of people who thought they would enjoy eating oatmeal every morning for 4 months and then got sick of it after a week.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

How about you hike until you run out of money and then go home?
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Images

you'd be amazed at how different you might think after just 5 days on the trail, let alone 25, 45, 65 or 85 days. It is nice to be able to conjour up images of your endeavors when you are sitting in front of the computer with a warm cup of coffee and a few hours to read TJ and daydream...More often than not, you/your thoughts change during the journey....
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Hike until the money runs out.
    $1000 worth of hiking for $1000.
    Guaranteed.

Seriously though, in addition to supported/unsupported records.
    There should be a record for unsupported $1000, how far you can get, etc.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Good luck.... Easy to say this stuff in the comfort of one's surroundings. Better to save up.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    If you want to get away from society on a budget, do some trail crew work. They feed you well, you get to work in some beautiful and remote places and some even offer a small stipend.

http://www.backdoorjobs.com/maine-co...ion-corps.html
    http://www.trailcrew.org/
    http://www.wta.org/volunteer/trail-work-parties
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mthood...fsbdev3_036682
    A good suggestion.

It's a good way to get out there and enjoy the backcountry, and there's plenty of time between projects to go backpacking.

Personally I would not have shipped out all that gear and clothes with just $1000 to go and collect it all with.
    Then again, sounds like a fun challenge.

May the odds be ever in your favour.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++