WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Going Lightweight

Hey Guys, new to the forum and also to the world of lightweight backpacking! Last year I was diagnosed with tendonitis in my ankles, thus making extended hikes with a considerable amount of weight on my back (usually around 40 lbs) painful and difficult. I've started to look into lightweight and UL backpacking to make things easier. I just wanted to get a few opinions on my setup and some gear I'm thinking of getting.

I've got to ditch my current pack which clocks in around 4.5 lbs, thinking about a Golite Jam 50L
    Looking into a new sleeping bag, such as a Marmot Aspen minimalist and an SOL emergency bivy for those xtra cold nights
    I've took a rain fly from a older broken tent and a tyvec ground cloth for use as a shelter
    Ditched the propane stove & cook kit for an Esbit fuel tab stove and haulite minimalist
    Ridge Rest Z-Lite SOL

This is most of my base equip minus knife, headlamp etc. that I've gathered. I already have the stove, cookset and the ridge rest. What I was wondering on is the backpack and the sleeping bag. I usually take trips that range from 2-4 nights out, mainly in the fall and spring.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Consider for bags:

ULA Ohm or Ohm 2.0
    GG Gorilla (2012)
    HMG Windrider SW
    Zimmerbuilt Custom
    SMD Starlite

A 20deg bag for all around use...there have been a couple great deals on WM bags on the forums lately...I like the Marmot Heliums at $280 on sale as well.

I like the NeoAir pads...I use an All Season in winter...would love an Xtherm...and an Xlite in spring/summer.

Good luck...

-Mark in St. Louis

First, welcome to WB!

There are many places to purchase UL packs/bags. Personally, I recommend:

Packs: ULA Equipment, http://www.ula-equipment.com/ . Very reasonably priced, and light.
    Sleeping bags (OK, quilts): Enlightened Equipment, http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/ . Not for everyone, but quilts are UL to the extreme. EE's quilts start right around $200.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Another fan of ULA Ohm 2.0, Western Mountaineering Highlight 35 degree bag, Neoair. Nothin' lighter than a hole.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Welcome to Whiteblaze! I have and use a Jam 50 and have enjoyed it. You can go lighter but I would only recommend this if you're committed to bringing the rest of your packweight down as well. The Jam gets pretty uncomfortable over 30 pounds. I would imagine a similar but lighter weight pack would be the same and perhaps become uncomfortable at a lower weight.

As for your bag, the WM and ULA bags are great bags. If you design your sleep system right (smartwool type undies, base layer, etc.) you can possibly get away with a 30 degree bag and save some weight. As an example, I hike with a $20 19.2 ounce fleece bag liner with a silk liner inside it and all over a z-rest down to the upper 30s. When it gets below freezing (late November through early Spring here in VA) I switch to a Climashield XP blanket I sewed. But I'm sleeping with someone and wearing a bunch of technical fabrics (Smartwool, beanie, gloves, etc.) to stretch my bag rating (50) down by 20 degrees. In other words, it's my sleep system.

Send us the rest of your gear list if you'd like some more specific tips on saving weight. Happy to help.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I have the Marmot Down 40 degree minimalist sleeping bag. It's a great bag for the price and I have used it down to 30 with additional clothing. For another $80 get a enlightened equipment 20 degree revelation x quilt. I just purchased a 0 degree version and I was almost to warm at 26 degrees with only convertable pants, wool socks, lightweight poly top and a thin hat. The golite JAM is a frameless pack so you may be trading tendon pain to shoulder pain. A ULA circuit is only about 10 ounces heavier but has a real frame. I switched from a framless recently and really like the new pack.

What sleeping pad do you use with the x quilt? I was looking at those earlier today

One of the biggest draws for me to the Jam is it's price. The reviews are good on it, and it seems to be very durable. I'm trying to go as light as possible without breaking the bank. I'm also drawn the SMD Starlight, though adding the pockets to the hip belt and the stays push it over $200.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrgazer View Post
    What sleeping pad do you use with the x quilt? I was looking at those earlier today
    I'm using an REI Stratus Pad. It's a very heavy 25 ounces but very comfortable. The quilts can be used with any pad. I bought the REI for the comfort and the lifetime guarantee on an inflatable pad. I know it's going to pop at some point.

I looked for about ten minutes at the fabric of the quilt and could not find any reason the fabric was classified as a second. The time estimate on the website was three weeks and I received the quilt in that time frame.

Any particular reason to go with GG Gorilla versus GG Mariposa, other than if you are sure you won't ever need the extra volume? The Mariposa adds 2 ounces to the 25 ounce Gorilla, but is close to 70L total volume compared to 46L. Granted much of the gain is outside the main body (main body 47L versus 39L). I understand fill up 70L and you are no longer ultralight, but it seems like good flexibility if I want to use the same pack to carry my family's stuff when I am not solo. Even when I am solo, for 2 ounces it seems like a nice luxury not having to compress everything to a brick and solve the jenga puzzle every morning. What am I overlooking?

Quote Originally Posted by buldogge View Post
    Consider for bags:

ULA Ohm or Ohm 2.0
    GG Gorilla (2012)
    HMG Windrider SW
    Zimmerbuilt Custom
    SMD Starlite

A 20deg bag for all around use...there have been a couple great deals on WM bags on the forums lately...I like the Marmot Heliums at $280 on sale as well.

I like the NeoAir pads...I use an All Season in winter...would love an Xtherm...and an Xlite in spring/summer.

Good luck...

-Mark in St. Louis

If you are trying to go light...then...don't go big. If you have the space, you will fill it!

Only you know your own gear and packing style...but...if you are trying to go light, then you will adapt.

45L is plenty for me...with 3-5 days food and 2L water inside the pack (or outside in the side pockets). My Zimmerbuilt also has upper side pockets, which I find really useful for snacks/TP/wipes/headlamp/etc.

Gather your gear, and then match a pack design/size to it.

My 2c.

-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by yourcraig View Post
    Any particular reason to go with GG Gorilla versus GG Mariposa, other than if you are sure you won't ever need the extra volume? The Mariposa adds 2 ounces to the 25 ounce Gorilla, but is close to 70L total volume compared to 46L. Granted much of the gain is outside the main body (main body 47L versus 39L). I understand fill up 70L and you are no longer ultralight, but it seems like good flexibility if I want to use the same pack to carry my family's stuff when I am not solo. Even when I am solo, for 2 ounces it seems like a nice luxury not having to compress everything to a brick and solve the jenga puzzle every morning. What am I overlooking?

Anyone have any experience with Mountainsmith Packs? They're not really lightweight, but I am eyeing the Phantom 40.... i'm starting to get nervous about going frameless.

Images

There's a wide range of great packs in between "heavy" and "frameless." (Does that MS Phantom weight 4 pounds?) The first response on this thread named several excellent choices.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Agreed. Research the packs suggested most have a frame of some sort.

Personally, I use a NeoAir, torso length.

I'm starting to get nervous about going frameless.
    Generally, going frameless takes some consideration (and a little gumption). It's very possible to fold your sleeping pad into a quasi-frame, which you then place in the pack right next to your back. But even then, you need to pay careful attention to your load's balance and stability. That's why a lot of dedicated UL types eschew stuff sacks-- cramming everything into a big trash compactor bag.

Hey...I picked up a Lowe Alpine Nanon 35:40 at STP for $82.xx recently...pretty nice pack for the money. If you lose the top pocket it weighs 2# 8 oz. They also have the Zepton 50L version which weighs a little less and gives up the front pocket(s)...both are mainly Dyneema.

STP will be having a 40% coupon at some point tomorrow (most likely) when their FB page hits 200K likes...FWIW.

-Mark in St. Louis

I ended up buying a mountainsmith phantom 40, I found it on Amazon for $104. I know it's on the heavier side, but I liked alot of the features it has, such as the curved hipbelt, and the ridiculously large air flow on the suspension, I'm a really really sweaty hot natured person, so I'm hoping that this will keep me cooler. I'm going to give it a try, see how the fit is and what it carries like. Since the pack is heavier, I'll def need to get into a lighter sleeping bag or quilt, I've looked at the XQuilts, Jacks R Better and I've had my eye on the Sierra Designs Zissou with the Dri-Down. Has anyone used this bag?

Images

Big +1 for Enlightened Equipment quilts. I have 3 now, and you'd have to fight me for them.

i'm a huge fan of quilts,being a hammock camper.
    a lot of cottage manufacturers, such as hammock gear, wilderness logics and lieghlo quilts will sew velcro onto the quilt, .
    that can be attached to the pad by glueing velcro to the pad .
    this really helps keep out drafts on cold nights
    good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++