WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I just scored a Lowe Alpine Zepton 50 at STP for $90 with the 40% coupon! Now I'll have two packs to test out, might end up keeping them both!

Hey...Not sure which size Zepton you need...but...it was mentioned in the Q&A section on the STP Zepton webpage that the blue and pear colors were the 50XL while the Ochre was the regular 50.

Just a heads up, so you can shoot an email/call/chat off to STP customer service to switch up your order if need be.

I couldn't pass up the sale and grabbed a Marmot Kompressor summit for $40 and Mountainsmith dogpacks for $23 as well.

-Mark in St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by Starrgazer View Post
    I just scored a Lowe Alpine Zepton 50 at STP for $90 with the 40% coupon! Now I'll have two packs to test out, might end up keeping them both!

I did see that, and I ordered the ochre, should fit me well, if not I can always exchange : )

I took the leap and ordered a RevX 40 from Enlightened Equip, can't wait to try it out!

Images

I took the leap and ordered a RevX 40 from Enlightened Equip, can't wait to try it out!
    I'm sure you'll love it; I recently got an Enlightened Equipment Revalation 20 and it is AWESOME.

I'm sure you'll love it!
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Pack wise if you can get your weight down to 25lbs for everything I highly recommend a ULA CDT. I stripped mine down to 17ounces for a size med. For sleeping bag I use TQs because I'm a hammock camper and for the times when I slept in a shelter or went to ground I've never had an issue with staying warm. I have a Hammock Gear borrow 50 that is my summer bag that weights in around 11oz on my scales for a size large. I've never had an issue taking it down to 40 with the right clothing which severs double duty. I also have a burrow 20 that I had Addam add another 2 1/2 ounces of down to and I've taken it down to -5 with the right clothing system. It weights around 22.8oz which I consider insanely light for a bag that will get you down to those temps.

Shonryu, what were your mods to get your CDT to 17oz? I am thinking about getting the zpacks Blast to save 10 oz, but it costs $100 more!

While on my hike I went from way toooo much stuff to gearing down. I picked three comforts and stayed with them. Sleep pad, Water filter, and Tent. Beyond that I geared down and got my pack down to under 20 lbs by the time I was in Maine. Buying expensive gear isn't always the best choice. A light sleeping bag can be enough. On cold nights, sleep in a shelter if possible and put your tent inside your sleeping bag. A neoprene bottle is great on cold nights. Heat the water and throw the bottle to the feet of your sleeping bag. A small used potted meat can with holes drilled on the top portion is light weight and perfect for 1 oz. of fuel as a stove. Use a V-8 bottle to carry the fuel. There are tricks of the trade you learn along the way. I have found 30 lb packs are too much, and yes that includes the food for 4 days and water (2-liters).

You can do a 8#-9# 25-30dF base weight for a reasonable amount if you MYOG some of it.

Skip the Jam 50 and look for a used Jam II in mint condition and strip it. Afterwards it will weigh 18oz.
    That said I would not want to carry more than 18-20# in a jam.

The rest of the list to get you close but does not include some things I carry in my pockets and does not include hiking poles...
    This is a hammock rig so if you are a grounder swap out appropriately but you need a SUL pad and a SUL tent etc ...

PACK
    Golite JamII stripped USED 18oz
    Dry Bag

SHELTER
    8X13 SIL MYOG CAT TARP 12.5oz with susp
    5 Stakes 1oz

SLEEPING
    M50 5apex quilt or down quilt 18oz
    Wilderness logics 20f ¾ UQ 18.5 oz
    Reflectix .5oz
    Grand Trunk Ultralight hammock 8.5oz
    5' whoopies 5/8 Mule tape suspension 4oz
    Fronkey Bug Net for ultralight 4oz

PACKED CLOTHES
    Indera Polypro blue poly top 7.5oz
    Indera Polypro blue poly bot 7.3oz
    Fleece Beanie 1oz
    Wool Gloves 2.8 oz
    Spare socks pair 2oz ea
    JCP down puffer Jacket 11oz or Stoic Cardigan 7.6oz
    Zpacks Down Hood 1.3oz
    Driducks JACKET 6oz
    Tyvek Rain Chaps 2oz

UTIL EVRYDAY MED AND EMER 7oz

COOKING AND WATER
    Fosters kit esbit or alcohol 2.5oz
    Short koolaid container 1.8oz
    Alcohol Bottle 1oz if going with an alcohol stove
    Small Cuben Food bag and cord 1.5oz
    1L bottle (2) 2oz ea
    Aquamira tablets .5oz

Quassar just take out all the extra stuff that comes on it. Finger loops, bottle holder loops, hydration sleve, pack pad, cut down all your straps they are way to long, changed the synch cordage for a lighter, cut off the hydration sleve clips, and changed out all the toggles.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I'm always torn between taking my ULA Conduit vs. GG Mariposa, or ULA Ohm vs. GG Gorilla. The Gorilla gets the most use. And it is possible to need a high volume pack and be lightweight, and that time is called winter, when temperatures force you to use higher volume sleeping bag and clothing. The most important thing to remember about UL is that you are putting together a system, not individual pieces. Multi-use items are your friend. Subscribe to BPL, that helps too.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++