WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Advice on Lunar Solo

I just got a SMD Lunar Solo tent, and I am trying to perfect the pitch before I hit the trail for my 2013 thru. I was wondering about the two tie-out points for additional guylines. What would you say is the optimal length of cord to use for this purpose? Do those of you who have this tent attach these extra guylines every time you pitch the tent? Would you suggest doing so? I am 5' 10" if that helps. Thanks much.

Just as a generic comment. I advise folk to make a guyrope with cheap cordage first , then once they find the right length (that is including knots or line locks or whatever you will use) cut/order the length that works for you.Because I usually use a sliding knot , I have mine longer than I normally use so that I can extend them to a nearby bush/tree or wrap them around a rock.
    BTW, as with stakes, around a 45 degree slope works well.
    (45 degree away from the tent for the stake, 45 towards for the guy line , that gives you a 90 degree angle)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Rat View Post
    I just got a SMD Lunar Solo tent, and I am trying to perfect the pitch before I hit the trail for my 2013 thru. I was wondering about the two tie-out points for additional guylines. What would you say is the optimal length of cord to use for this purpose? Do those of you who have this tent attach these extra guylines every time you pitch the tent? Would you suggest doing so? I am 5' 10" if that helps. Thanks much.
    Have you tried asking SMD? Ron or Brandon can give you more info than you will know what to do with. Send them an email.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I never used or needed the two extra guy out points.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

If you live to be 100 you will keep finding ways to get a better pitch with both the Lunar Solo and Lunar Duo.

It's fairly easy to master getting it up enough to sleep in but the learning curve on how to get the *best* pitch never ends.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Most tentsites don't seem to lend themselves to tying out both guylines. I would guess that my side guylines are probably about 8' long, but I probably only have both of them tied off maybe 10% of the time. I could increase the usage by attaching 30' of cord, at the cost of more weight and an increased likelihood that I would strangle myself in the middle of the night.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Rat View Post
    I have a SMD Lunar Solo and find the extra tie-outs do not help the pitch unless you tie them high, but will help if its windy. I use my extra trek pole, run the guyline thru the handle loop and steak to ground, to get a little extra head room at one end. Also, you could use a stick found at the camp site instead of your trek pole.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

++ New Posts ++