WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Collapsible nalgene

What has been your experience with these bottles? I currently own a Platy 4L which comes with the gravity filter.I use this primarily for water in camp! The problem with the Platy is that its difficult to fill.
    I'm considering the wide mouth Nalgene as a replacement but have read negative reviews stating that they are prone to leak and bulky to pack . Any thoughts?

Images

Been using the same Nalgene canteen for several years. No problems so far. They are bulky compared to a platy.

I've owned both. The Nalgene (I take the 3L one on the trail) is: heavier, sturdier, easier to carry back from the water source (large ring to grab a hold of), mates well w/ filters, easier to fill, and has a larger volume than the 'normal' 2L Platypus. Unless I'm really trying to shave some ounces, I take the Nalgene. Note: Two, 2L Platypus bottles will weigh less than one 3L Nalgene.

I still can't decide which to use on the AT this year. Decisions, decisions.

I find them useful and bulletproof. I usually use transport water and let the floaties settle then decant the bag. If I'm camping on a bald or someplace dry I fill them up and pack them. I've used them down into the low 20's with no problems. I've gone through probably three or four of them over the past 15 years replacing them as they seem to be getting old. I've never had one leak or bust a seam and I don't treat them gently.

Thanks! That's what I needed to know!

My experience pretty much echos Mr. Bumpy.

++ New Posts ++