WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gregory packs

Default Gregory packs

Hey guys...im looking to get a Gregory pack...would love to hear your thoughts on the z65 vs baltoro 65 vs the contour 60. Thoughts and recommendations?
    Much appreciated!

Images

Great packs but heavier than they need to be.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Images

I have both a baltoro 65 and a Z30. Love them both. The Z is used for long dayhikes and an overnighter. Using the baltoro on a AT section hike this year. No resupply trip thru 100 MW. The Z series are significantly lighter but still seem to carry weight very well. They also seem to breath much better with that Airstream suspension. Both extremely comfortable. I almost wish I had gotten the Z65 instead of the baltoro but wanted something that could take really rough handling. Love both series of backpacks, however, definitely neither are ULers dream.

Thanks!!! What about the contour?

I have a grey z65 in great shape ill sell you

Images

Z65 is awesome. That's what I use in the winter. Good stuff.
    can't never did

I love my z65. The contour looks like a new model so there is probably not too many people with it yet.

I took a look at their website and I am not convinced that the contour's layered packing system would work well. It seems like the contour is kind of over-thought. All those 'features' look nice on paper, but it seems like they just threw every good idea they had on it, but didn't think about how it all works together.

The baltoro is a tried and true favorite and great for hauling heavy loads. However, given today's technology, there are far lighter packs out there that can haul just as much weight. How much weight do you plan on carrying?

Im looking to not go too much above 15# but im going to do a section hike from nj to maine and some overnight stuff at various places and want something that is comfortable and can handle heavy loads too...

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaidment:1388409
    I have a grey z65 in great shape ill sell you
    How much? I need a medium

I used the Baltoro 70 (and older version of the 65) on my '11 Colorado Trail Thru. I really liked the pack but in hind sight it was way too big and heavy (just like everything else i took with me on that trip). I don't think you'll regret smaller and lighter. The Baltoro is like a Cadillac big, comfy and heavy.

Default Gregory packs

My bf and I both have Gregory packs & we love them. The baltoro & deva. They are heavier but I find it much more comfortable and supportive, IMO, then most other packs & it's very important to me since I've had spinal back surgery.

Thanks guys...ill go ahead and research some more

Look at Osprey Exos....

I have the Z65 which I use for winter weekends or long summer trips. I really like it. I sent it back to Gregory for a minor repair when it was 3 years old, and they sent me a brand new one.(great customer service) I find it most comfortable in the 35 pound or less range.

I also have a Z65, and I love it. Took it to hike the Mt Rainier Wonderland Trail. Held up great and carried a pretty heavy load. It is a little heavy but is a solid workhorse.

I've been using the Z55 for a few years and love it too. Wish it had a better bottle pouch or holster, though. The newer models might - mie's an '09 I think. If you are not going over 15# a Z55 or smaller even should suit just fine. I usually carry 20-25 lbs and have plenty of room to spare.

Recently noticed that REI no longer has the Z55, but the REI Flash 62 appears to be a near-copy. It has a few features that the Z55 was missing (mesh side pouches), and is slighltly lighter to boot. The suspension system looks different though. I love the Gregory suspension and open back air flow. I have not tried the Flash but was looking at it.

I used Gregory packs for years, Wayne Gregory is a personal friend of mine and I used to product test for them, so I'm a big Gregory fan...however, any Gregory will be overbuilt and heavier than it needs to be in my view.

But saying that, nothing feels like a Gregory, and in general...you will not find better carrying packs anywhere in the world, but they are heavy and built for heavy loads.

In addition to Gregory, I would strongly recommend looking at ULA, Osprey and Granite Gear.

I rocked a Z55 on my thru-hike and loved it. My gear was on the heavier side but the pack does a great job in handling the weight. Don't have experience with the Baltoro or Contour but the Z series are great packs. Yeah it'd be nice if they were a pound lighter but they can handle whatever gear you have and take a good bit of abuse too. I was never gentle with my pack and it's still going strong.

We all like what we like, but for me nothing carries like a Gregory...nothing. I also carry a Gregory z55 and mine is an older version (2008, i believe) that weighs 3lbs 2oz on my scale. Yeah, it weighs a little more than other ultralight packs but it carries loads like a dream and it will last a lifetime.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++