WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hike smarter, not harder.

Default Western Mountaineering 2nds Sale

Title says it all. Stole this link from BPL, not sure how long it will be good.

http://www.bentgate.com/wemocoblsa.html

How long 'til someone posts "you'll die unless you use a synthetic bag on the AT"? Or "get a hammock"?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Not trollin', just askin' - why is there such a price difference between these bags and others of similiar warmth/weight?

Thanks.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

They are VERY light and made in N. America. I've had an UltraLite and it's held up great!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Not trollin', just askin' - why is there such a price difference between these bags and others of similiar warmth/weight?

Thanks.
    for the most part, WM prices are fairly well in line with other bags of the same warmth/weight ratios. Sure, some companies inflate their warmth ratings; WM does not and has a reputation for conservatively rating their bags. I've owned (sadly!) about a dozen sleeping bags in my 45 years of backpacking, and I currently own four WM bags. They are easily the best bags I've ever owned. Marmot bags seem to be decent too, but they cost pretty much the same (like the Plasama bags, for example, the only Marmot bags that have the same warmth/weight ratios). Feathered friend bags are right in there as well. Mont Bell bags are perhaps a slightly better deal, but you also have to take into account the bag size/girth, and the MB bags I've looked at run small. I need "girthy" bags. The WM Alpineight, for example, has a full 64 (65?) inches.

WM bags are the gold standard of which other ultralite bags are compared against. That's not to say there aren't better bags out there, but WM is a great reference point. Plus they are widely available without any wait times. Check out backwoods.com...they periodically have 20% sales, and they do not exclude WM bags from those sales.

Anyone ever seen or used one of these 2nd sale bags? Not looking to get one, just curious.

Images

I'm 98% certain it was Feathered Friends that used to advertise (70's or early 80's):

"We make the most expensive bag available. If you find one more expensive, let us know, we'll gladly raise our price."

They had the reputation and quality to make that a positive advertising campaign. Western Mountaineering is in the same league.

Not saying other bags won't work, but these companies make the elite, top quality bags, and they are worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post

Thanks.
    They are not expensive, they are high end, Feathered Friends and the high end Marmott bags are similarly priced. WM is a very small company, so you usually pay full price cause they do such low volume

Images

I have three WM bags--bags for life....

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Anyone ever seen or used one of these 2nd sale bags? Not looking to get one, just curious.
    Picked up a Versalite, looked it over, and like it says, can't tell anything is wrong with it visually. The color is more of a Mountain Dew green, not sure when they updated the color?

I was originally going to buy a Katabatic Quilt, but couldn't pass up on the sale. Looks like I'll just have to start saving pennies again.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

damn damn damn damn damn damn..... how can I hide this purchase...... ?

(That's the sound of $500 flying out of my wallet for a 5* Antelope GWS left zip / long.......

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Title says it all. Stole this link from BPL, not sure how long it will be good.

http://www.bentgate.com/wemocoblsa.html

How long 'til someone posts "you'll die unless you use a synthetic bag on the AT"? Or "get a hammock"?

Thanks for the post, just ordered the WM Versalite on sale. You saved me some $$$. I appreciate the heads up.

Not working now. :-(

anyone else having problems with the site? it won't accept my credit card for some reason, and won't accept my boyfriends paypal.

++ New Posts ++