WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Would you quit your job to thru hike?

I am just wondering if any of you have or would quit your job for a thru hike? If so what did you do when you finished your hike or what would you do? Thanks.

I'd quit. McDonalds will get over it. Besides, I hear Wendys is hiring. ;-)

At 19 before student loans I would.

At 39 with kids and a family I would not and I am happy with that. Sections are good enough for me.

Depends on your previous choices in life. I will rethink this when the kids are out of the house.

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian3211 View Post
    I am just wondering if any of you have or would quit your job for a thru hike? If so what did you do when you finished your hike or what would you do? Thanks.
    Brian, for those that have attempted thrus, you're talking probably at least 80%. Can't speak for what anyone does or did afterward, but I'd assume they go back to work afterwards. lol

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

That would depend on a variety of things, not the least of which would be financial independence and the ability to easily get a commensurate position without loss of appreciable benefits once I was done. I have a family to support with all that that entails and a good, solid job with great benefits. It's not something I would want to jeopardize unless I was already planning to leave for another reason. And still only then if I had another job lined up that was willing to wait for 5 months for me to finish my thru attempt. For what it's worth, it's why I am trying so hard to finish the AT in 4 years of section hiking. Take advantage of my current situation and health while I have it and then, if I'm blessed, redo the trail with my wife when I'm able to retire or take a leave of absence.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I'm getting ready to hike again for the third time. Quitting a job is the best part of getting ready for a thru hike. It takes a little bit of faith knowing you'll find a job when you return but I've always had good luck. I guess I'm fortunate to be from New England where the economy has been pretty strong. I have developed the pattern of planning a thru hike when I get tired or complacent with my job!

Images

Yep, going to do just that in about 2.5 months. I'm saying bye-bye to a very substantial paycheck and a really decent job. But at my point in life, TIME is waaaaaay more valuable than money. After this year's AT attempt? Depends on how well the AT works out, but hopefully some other thru attempt; PCT, CDT, Tea Araroa, lots of possible UK or European thrus, the list is long indeed!

I asked for a LOA, was turned down, so I quit. But I would not do that today in the current economic environment.

When I got back my old employer offered me my job back. I turned them down.

I interviewed for a while and ended up working as an independent contractor doing accounting work.

I am quitting my job of 14 years on 2/28 to start my thru hike on 3/10. I'm 33, married, no kids.

I'm taking a sabbatical and turning the business over to my son for my '13 thru.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

No. That's why I remain a clueless weekender.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I will be 32 in 2014 when I start my thru. I am not passionate about my job and am planning to quit a few weeks prior to my hike. I've considered asking for leave, but the thought of hiking 2,000+ miles knowing I'll have to come back to my current job would be a major bummer. Irresponsible? Maybe. But you have to be a little irresponsible every now and then!

I'm moving in with my parents when my lease expires this June and will be living with them to save up money. That way, I'll have some cushion if I can't find a job right away when I get back.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yep, going to do just that in about 2.5 months. I'm saying bye-bye to a very substantial paycheck and a really decent job. But at my point in life, TIME is waaaaaay more valuable than money. After this year's AT attempt? Depends on how well the AT works out, but hopefully some other thru attempt; PCT, CDT, Tea Araroa, lots of possible UK or European thrus, the list is long indeed!
    Pretty much my situation too. 82 days and counting. Life is way too short to grow old and die behind a desk. I gotta get out there!

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    Pretty much my situation too. 82 days and counting. Life is way too short to grow old and die behind a desk. I gotta get out there!
    Well said, my man.

Quote Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
    Well said, my man.

Very well said. The next 7 weeks are going to be the longest I've ever spent in my cubicle. Coupled with the Chicago winter; yuck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by robertblake60 View Post
    Very well said. The next 7 weeks are going to be the longest I've ever spent in my cubicle. Coupled with the Chicago winter; yuck.
    I know exactly what you mean. I don't have a cubicle- I got a "white cave"- a windowless office. About the only thing that keeps me sane are the outdoor pictures on my walls.

I'm going to ask for a leave, I'm a RN. I'm looking for a second job so I can pay off everything, have money for the hike and have some to live on when I get back.

I'm actually considering going to school to be an RN after the hike. Might be time for a career change and one that doesn't have me chained to a desk.

As a section hiker and wannabe thru-hiker, I seriously considered quitting my job (a very good job) to thru-hike this year. I have the gear. I have money. Why not? Too chicken to take the leap of faith, that's why not. Problem solved----employer laid me off and gave me money to go away. See you all on the trail in April.

I am thinking of doing just that. Granted it will be a few years down the road when my son graduates High School, by then I will have enough money saved to hit the trail and I can't wait. I am hoping I can get a sabatical but if not I will be ready to leave.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++