WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Are Wood Burning Stoves Worth the Savings in Weight and Money???

I'm seriously considering making my own wood burning stove for my thru-hike, but is it really worth it? Am I going to become seriously annoyed at gathering wood and keeping a fire lit every time I cook? I plan to cook once or twice a day.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

There are pros and cons.

Pros: You don't have to carry fuel or go looking for it in town.

Cons:

1) Your probably going to have to carry a reliable way of quickly starting the fire, like petroleum jelly soaked cotten balls or the like. Without some kind of fire starter, getting one going in a little wood stove can be tricky. Especially if your starting out with damp wood.

2) It takes longer. Getting the wood together, starting the fire, constantly feeding it and making sure it doesn't go out all takes time and extra effort. This isn't bad in the evening, but can seriously slow your start in the morning.

3) The soot. Your pot will become black and you need to be carefull not to get it on all your gear. It can be messy.

4) Cooking in the rain is a real PITA. Your not going to be able to cook in a shelter like everyone else, so you better have a decent tarp you can set up to cook under or have a back up stove like a little alcohol one.

If your going to a remote area where getting or carrying enough conventual fuel is a problem, then a wood stove makes a lot of sense. For the AT, I found a wood stove to be more of a pain to deal with then it was worth.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The main issue is whether or not you love the challenge and reward of burning sticks and stuff. Good to have backup though. I use first-aid grade alcohol and vegetable oi as backups because they have alternative uses. I use hemp twine as wick when using vegetable oil. It is slow and sooty for making soup or tea, but makes a lovely lamp, and is good for simmering.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There are pros and cons.

Pros: You don't have to carry fuel or go looking for it in town.

Cons:

1) Your probably going to have to carry a reliable way of quickly starting the fire, like petroleum jelly soaked cotten balls or the like. Without some kind of fire starter, getting one going in a little wood stove can be tricky. Especially if your starting out with damp wood.

2) It takes longer. Getting the wood together, starting the fire, constantly feeding it and making sure it doesn't go out all takes time and extra effort. This isn't bad in the evening, but can seriously slow your start in the morning.

3) The soot. Your pot will become black and you need to be carefull not to get it on all your gear. It can be messy.

4) Cooking in the rain is a real PITA. Your not going to be able to cook in a shelter like everyone else, so you better have a decent tarp you can set up to cook under or have a back up stove like a little alcohol one.

If your going to a remote area where getting or carrying enough conventual fuel is a problem, then a wood stove makes a lot of sense. For the AT, I found a wood stove to be more of a pain to deal with then it was worth.
    As a wood burning fan, I want to add a few thoughts . . .

In Eastern woodlands (AT country) there are almost always plenty of twigs to be had, so not carrying fuel weight is the major benefit.
    If/when you are above treeline, in a fire ban area, or just don't feel like making a fire, it's nice to have a backup fuel. For me, this is Esbit. On the AT, I would mail myself a few Esbit tabs in resupply boxes.

Unless you really like to practice your foul weather fire skills (and have the skills) some type of fire starters are useful, and can also be lightweight and included in resupply if you like. Cotton balls with some vaseline, Chapstick, wax, or oil work well. A knife to make dry shavings from wood that is wet on the outside is useful. A tarp shelter is useful for rainy weather cooking, no matter the type of stove, but especially for wood burners that will make smoke.

Yes, soot will form on the bottom and lower part of your pot. Using a cozy will keep this off you and stuff in your pack, as will some kind of stuff sack or bag. If you have a titanium (but not aluminum) pot, you can burn this soot off your empty pot periodically if you like.

It does take longer (due to the fuel prep, not the cook time). Agree this is more of an issue in the morning than in the evening. I tend to collect twigs in the evening for both dinner and breakfast; that way in the morning all I need to do is light the fire while I'm packing up.

Bottom line: before you decide whether a wood stove will work for you on a thru hike, I'd strongly suggest you get one you think you will like and try it on some weekend trips to get comfortable with it and see how it works for you.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

IMO the only benefit of the wood-burning stove on the AT is whether you like doing it. It is more trouble than good IMO.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    IMO the only benefit of the wood-burning stove on the AT is whether you like doing it. It is more trouble than good IMO.
    agreed. cooking over a fire is for car campin and backyard trips.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I'm now building a wood stove in the basement, got most of the pieces cut. I'll probably use it just for the heck of it from time to time but I'll take an alcohol stove if i'm out for any period of time. Like one of the other guys said, it only makes sense if it's "your thing", some boys just never outgrow the desire to play in fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Like one of the other guys said, it only makes sense if it's "your thing", some boys just never outgrow the desire to play in fire.
    Some like playing with fire. I like playing with electronics. Neither is necessary.

I can think of one thing I play with regularly that IS necessary.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    agreed. cooking over a fire is for car campin and backyard trips.
    Wow - I prefer having the skill to use it to the best of my ability... I have not "cottoned on" to the small size. But I recognize the skill of kicking the high grass and can find all the fuel in a very small area and collect pine nodules and other starters along the trail.... Chin - I bet given the opportunity, You would love switching to wood. No Cotton balls required!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I can think of one thing I play with regularly that IS necessary.
    Shouldn't this be in the "Is two poles really better than one?" thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Chin - I bet given the opportunity, You would love switching to wood. No Cotton balls required!
    I will gladly enjoy a good fire......when someone else starts it.

we met a guy in PA this summer that only cooked over a fire with his titanium cup. he had something resembling a small can, collected sticks and lit it . . now it was 100 degree and it was drought conditions but he said he's been doing it most of the trail and it worked for him. no one seemed to give him any **** for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Shouldn't this be in the "Is two poles really better than one?" thread?
    Possibly. And for the record I am in the one pole camp.

I've been using a titanium zip for years, wouldn't have any other stove. I basically had to buy one to travel on commercial airlines, they would not let me board with a used gas or alcohol stove, much less the fuel to burn in them. After using one on a long hike, I've never went back. If you want all the pros, just search WB. The weight is close to an alcohol stove with it's fuel, but I'm talking about a modified titanium zip. I can even take showers using a mylar bag and shower rig.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    I've been using a titanium zip for years, wouldn't have any other stove. I basically had to buy one to travel on commercial airlines, they would not let me board with a used gas or alcohol stove, much less the fuel to burn in them. After using one on a long hike, I've never went back. If you want all the pros, just search WB. The weight is close to an alcohol stove with it's fuel, but I'm talking about a modified titanium zip. I can even take showers using a mylar bag and shower rig.
    Fire is wonderful. Free fuel. Something to do besides just hike. Hot water showers and laundry, free, without having to go to town. Cook real food first day or two out after resupply. I have backpacked many miles with canisters, alcohol, esbit, white gas. Now that I have the skill I prefer wood fire in almost every circumstance where wood is available and legal to burn. Choice of stove is up to the individual. I carry a larger pot than most because I like hot water in volume daily. I will occaisionally stumble into camp after a rare 30 miler and wish I had something quicker and easier, but it is rare for me. A fifteen or twenty mile day usually leaves me with enough energy to enjoy camp for several hours before bed. Fire helps make that time much more enjoyable. And not hiking to exhaustion makes being out there a lot more fun.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sdisser View Post
    I'm seriously considering making my own wood burning stove for my thru-hike, but is it really worth it? Am I going to become seriously annoyed at gathering wood and keeping a fire lit every time I cook? I plan to cook once or twice a day.

Thanks!
    If you are really really serious about it make your stove, do some reasearch on how to verticle stack and top light your sove. Practice for a couple of months before you plan to start your hike.

Am I going to become seriously annoyed at gathering wood and keeping a fire lit every time I cook
    Something in that statement makes me think you're not ready for wood.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sdisser View Post

Thanks!
    At this point I mostly cook over wood. Have been doing so for two or three years now. The upshot is that I have awesome fire starting skills and can start a one match fire in fire rings!

Sent from my YP-GS1 using Tapatalk 2

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Wow - I prefer having the skill to use it to the best of my ability... I have not "cottoned on" to the small size. But I recognize the skill of kicking the high grass and can find all the fuel in a very small area and collect pine nodules and other starters along the trail.... Chin - I bet given the opportunity, You would love switching to wood. No Cotton balls required!
    i have the skills, and use them often, but after long days on the trail finding (wet) firewood and starting a fire to cook is the last thing I want to do.

i heat my house with wood. i have no desire to cook over one while on a camping trip unless that is exactly the type of trip I am on.....camping (rather than hiking).
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

In my limited experience, I've found that the ability to identify and find the right wood is a big factor in determining whether or not you'll like a wood stove. With the right stuff, a wood stove can be a joy. With the wrong stuff, it's an effort in frustration. Just because the wood is off the ground doesn't mean it's dry.

Sincerely,
    Frustrated

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++