WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelBoston View Post
    1. There is zero chance of me staying in a hostel. To me, it completely defeats the purpose.

Okay, just for kicks and grins, let me ask you this: then what's the purpose? To a certain extent, you will be avoiding much of what makes the AT special - the people, the towns, the hostels, and the social aspect in general. There are some truly wonderful people along the way. I can't imagine hiking the AT and not staying at Kincora, for example, or Elmer's in Hot Springs, and I will always remember my stay at Miss Janet's in Erwin with Baltimore Jack blasting Johnny Cash in the kitchen.

To me this is like saying that you want to walk the Camino de Santiago but not stay in any of the refugios. Sure, it can be done, but it becomes an entirely different experience.

Please don't take this as a personal affront - I don't mean it that way. I'll probably regret posting this....
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Hey, good thread on breaking the topic down to realistic terms. Ive only been day hiking for the last year but have watched a lot of AT Youtube video's and read these forums. I have one thought. Those times it non stop rains for 5 days straight? Seems to me everyone without exception takes at least one zero day in town. That means spending money. Then there is the emergency reasons. Get sick with the flu or worse, twist an ankle, etc etc

Unlike the other two LD trails, PCT and CDT, the AT has so many places you can spend money and they come often.

It takes a lot of will power to stay out in the cold rain, eating a bucket of slop when you could have had a hot shower, a warm bed, clean clothes and a hot burger in town or at a hostel. At the other extrem, I've gone to motels just to have air conditioning for a night to get out of the dang heat and humidity!

It takes a lot of will power to stay on the trail when there is a resturant, deli or supermarket a mile or less off the trail and your sick of instant mashed potatos and snickers bars.

The temptations to spend money are endless and the towns along the trail have become very good at picking hikers pockets. Good luck.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I think I'd be OK staying out of hostels but the restaurants would definitely get me. I can't go more than two weeks without a burger at home, I doubt I would on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Okay, just for kicks and grins, let me ask you this: then what's the purpose? To a certain extent, you will be avoiding much of what makes the AT special - the people, the towns, the hostels, and the social aspect in general. There are some truly wonderful people along the way. I can't imagine hiking the AT and not staying at Kincora, for example, or Elmer's in Hot Springs, and I will always remember my stay at Miss Janet's in Erwin with Baltimore Jack blasting Johnny Cash in the kitchen.

To me this is like saying that you want to walk the Camino de Santiago but not stay in any of the refugios. Sure, it can be done, but it becomes an entirely different experience.

Please don't take this as a personal affront - I don't mean it that way. I'll probably regret posting this....
    I dig nature, plain & simple. I enjoy the aesthetics of the wild. I enjoy testing myself. I enjoy doing things others won't or can't do. I enjoy a minimalistic adventure. I LOVE living for days on end with my life on my back. And, I can easily go w/o creature comforts. I don't know if I'm explaining it well, but there it is.

[QUOTE=MDSection12;1390395]I think I'd be OK staying out of hostels but the restaurants would definitely get me. I can't go more than two weeks without a burger at home, I doubt I would on the trail. [/QUOTE

Love burgers. Usually have a giant one first night on trail after resupply. No restaurant involved.

I dig nature, plain & simple. I enjoy the aesthetics of the wild. I enjoy testing myself. I enjoy doing things others won't or can't do. I enjoy a minimalistic adventure. I LOVE living for days on end with my life on my back. And, I can easily go w/o creature comforts. I don't know if I'm explaining it well, but there it is.
    Me too. That is why I'm out there. There are restaurants and motels and people here.

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Love burgers. Usually have a giant one first night on trail after resupply. No restaurant involved.
    Frozen or dehydrated. I just got a dehydrator and haven't yet tried burgers... Still learning.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Frozen or dehydrated. I just got a dehydrator and haven't yet tried burgers... Still learning.
    Fresh from the grocery store.

Journal Entries
    Images

I was wondering if anyone who's completed an AT thru hike can give me a rough estimate on the cost.
    (This is a copy/paste reply to a thread from several years ago. The numbers are probably off (too low probably) but the basic formula is the same. I added a few days of hiking because the trail is longer.)

The easy answer to that question is ‘more than you think’. Although it is only walking, you can certainly spend a lot of money while doing it.

I’ll throw some numbers at you (guesstimates, of course). If your hike takes 156 days (14 miles/day) and every 4 days you end up in town, that is 39 times to spend money. Multiply that 39 by how much money you might spend each time in town.

lodging/night - $20
    resupply - $20 (this is probably way low)
    dining out - $20
    whatever else - $5

39 x $65 = $2535.00

Lodging expense is assuming a stay at a hostel or sharing a room with other hikers. Sometimes it will be cheaper, but other times more expensive. Of course, you might choose not to stay in town and only do a resupply, but that might be difficult if your friends are staying or if the weather is lousy. If you take a ‘zero’ in town, it will cost you twice as much. It will also cost twice as much if you do a slackpack the next day.

Resupply expense is buying enough food until the next time in town. You’ll need at least 3 Bs, 3 Ls, 3 Ds and lots and lots of snacks.

Dining out expense is just that ‘dining out’. You will eat; and eat ALOT when in town. Depending on when you get into town, you can figure at least one Dinner and probably a Breakfast next morning (there will probably be plenty of times when a Lunch is thrown in also). Of course it is possible to eat from your food supply, but when you have the opportunity to have a PIZZA instead of noodles and a tuna packet, PIZZA will likely win more times than not. Again, if you take a ‘zero’ in town, your dining out expense will be more.

Whatever else expense might be coin laundry, shuttle, movie, postage to mail something home, just whatever else, including extra food/drinks not included in dining out expense.

Some other expenses to consider:
    phone
    gear replacement including shoes, stove fuel, etc
    transportation/lodging to and from the trail
    any side trips you might take (many hikers go home for a wedding or something; some hikers take the trip into NYC, etc)
    anything at home that might require money (storage of goods, mortgage/rent, vehicle, insurance, etc)
    medical emergency
    alcoholic beverages – this is a huge expense for many

Now, you might finish in fewer than 156 days (maybe more, too) and you might only stay in town every 5 days, which would obviously reduce your town expenses (but increase your resupply expenses). There are so many variables it is impossible to cover them all. You’ll need to make adjustments as required concerning yourself and your habits. Bottom line is as I stated ‘to have more than you think’. More is definitely better than less. Running out of funds probably would mean ending your hike early, while having funds leftover when finished is better than being broke....

(Don't get fixated on $2535, that is only a guesstimate.)

Good Luck and Have Fun! Take good notes and report back to us when completed.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

some observations

maintenance videos
    how to hike

Images

That's a perfectly good explanation. Understood.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

1811 miles and counting!
    Images

So, does this $5000 estimate still apply to me? You guys know better than I do, I just don't want to waste time saving money I don't need -- my feet are itchy enough as is...
    On the trail, as in life, it is always wise to have an emergency fund. Most money management advisers suggest enough for 3-6 months expenses. At home that would tide you over between jobs should you get laid off. On the trail that would get you medical attention if you need it, fly you home in the event of a death or illness of a loved one, etc. If you need the funds, it will mean the difference between finishing and going home. If your hike goes off without a hitch, no injuries, equipment failures, food budget is just what you thought, then great. You have enough for your next hike.

I appreciate all the advice everyone is giving. The funny thing is, if anything, this thread is reaffirming my belief that I can do a thru hike for about $2000 (with an extra grand "just in case").

From what I'm gathering, people spend most of their money eating, drinking & sleeping in towns and I don't plan on any of that (not including the occasional burger & fries), so I figure I can cut the popular $5000 estimate in half (and then some).

People may say I'm full of it or naive or whatever, but given my experience & ability to admit I don't have all the answers, I have a good grasp on what I can do. I spent 2 months eating nothing but ramen noodles, mashed potatoes & snickers bars... I think I can stretch that into 4/5 months (adding a few burgers in here & there). Plus, gear repair/replacement isn't a concern given how much of it I have (ie, 3 packs, a few sleeping bags, a couple tents, a few pairs of boots, etc. etc.)

Seriously, you guys have been a huge help & I wish all of you who are also looking at a 2013 thru hike the best of luck. Cheers!

Duration, of course, has much to do with the total amount of money you'd spend for a thru-hike. I keep seeing comments about "averaging 154 days for your AT thru-hike" -- that's not average, that's quite fast for an AT thru-hike. A more normal duration would be 180 calendar days start to finish.

For instance, my AT thru-hike lasted 195 calendar days which is longer than normal. However, there were eleven other thru-hikers on Katahdin the same day I went up and at least another dozen other thru-hikers at the base who were planning to go up when I came back down. Quite a few of those people I either met right on top of Springer Mountain, GA or I'd first met them in Georgia.

Unless you are in superb TRAIL shape (that doesn't necessarily mean runner shape since your knees after carrying that backpack may become a problem if you're not in TRAIL shape) you're just not likely to be averaging 14 miles per day for your AT thru-hike (that would include days off in town and days for resupply and days for being sick and weary).

I was in better shape than most when I started my AT thru-hike at Springer Mountain, GA and after a few days I saw no purpose to rush and ended up just slowing down to my normal. It started to seem to me that immersing yourself in the experience was a better way, for me anyhow. Cranking out significant daily miles only seemed important a few times for the rest of my hike (such as trying to avoid an impending blizzard, getting to a maildrop before the weekend Post Office closings, that kind of thing).

So if you're not already in TRAIL shape (meaning you carry your full backpack on uneven non-paved surfaces, not simply walk around the neighborhood, AT LEAST 20 miles every single week without fail) I wouldn't be planning on hiking the entire Appalachian Trail (~2180 miles) in less than 180 calendar days. Plus, quite a few are going to figure out that they don't want to rush it just to get done.

If you want to have a test to see if you're in TRAIL SHAPE, do this and you'll have a better idea:

Find a treadmill, strap on your backpack that weighs at least 30 lbs, tilt the slope of the treadmill to 6% grade and leave it there. If you can do 45 minutes at 3.2mph, then you're probably close to being able to start out at a faster pace than most. By the way, the pace at that slope is going to be about 2/3 of the strain you'll actually face on the Trail since the treadway on the Trail is severely uneven and the treadmill is smooth. That will cause your backpack to sway back and forth considerably and you'll be exerting much more energy, perspiration, oxygen than doing the same on a treadmill.

Georgia usually hands people their heads -- if you're in the Class of 2013 you should get yourself prepared and begin today so you're not a statistic in the 75% of the people who don't finish their AT thru-hike (most of those people leave the Trail before Damascus, VA which is at about milepoint 454).

Datto

Per map man's data (NOBOs who finish), the average pace is 12.9 miles per day. However, Datto is correct, because that average pace was not achieved until Kent, CT.

Destination Cumulative Miles Cumulative Average
    Springer 0.0 8.0
    Georgia Border 75.6 9.4
    Fontana 163.1 10.3
    Damascus 460.2 11.4
    Waynesboro 848.8 12.3
    Harpers Ferry 1009.9 12.6
    DWG 1280.2 12.8
    Kent 1452.6 12.9
    Glencliff 1776.4 13.1
    Gorham 1877.0 12.9
    Stratton 1987.1 12.8
    Katahdin 2175.0 12.9

@Datto: I appreciate the tips, but it seems to be directed towards someone with very little experience.

During of my 2 month trek in the SW, I hiked the Tanner Train which is a difficult, unmaintained trail in the Grand Canyon that starts at the top of the South Rim & ends at the bottom, at the Colorado River. It also has a steep 5000ft elevation drop & the ascent of the hike is tantamount to mountain climbing.

I don't mean to keep bringing up my SW trek, but the 60+ consecutive days in the wild is my longest yet & I'm fairly certain the Tanner Trail is more difficult than anything on the AT. I keep bringing it up to hammer home that--in terms of hiking, extended expeditions, and climbing--I know what I'm doing.

I don't mean to sound arrogant -- I'm not. I just feel like a few people have responded reading nothing more than the thread's title. One of the reasons I started this thread was because I felt my situation was much different than the average person's.

YouTube PCT vs AT trail and PCT trail video's. ALOT of advice and comments.

@Datto: I appreciate the tips, but it seems to be directed towards someone with very little experience.

During of my 2 month trek in the SW, I hiked the Tanner Train which is a difficult, unmaintained trail in the Grand Canyon that starts at the top of the South Rim & ends at the bottom, at the Colorado River. It also has a steep 5000ft elevation drop & the ascent of the hike is tantamount to mountain climbing.

I don't mean to keep bringing up my SW trek, but the 60+ consecutive days in the wild is my longest yet & I'm fairly certain the Tanner Trail is more difficult than anything on the AT. I keep bringing it up to hammer home that--in terms of hiking, extended expeditions, and climbing--I know what I'm doing.

I don't mean to sound arrogant -- I'm not. I just feel like a few people have responded reading nothing more than the thread's title. One of the reasons I started this thread was because I felt my situation was much different than the average person's.
    Congrats on your trek and climbing Mt Badass, that doesn't make you impervious to wanting a hot bath or dry clothes.

Sorry I didn't mean that to sound as snarky as it came out. I just meant if you think you can do it, fine, go for it. Its your hike bro. I've hiked on a few trips out west (Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite) and and the humid dampness of the the East is just different. Its often cold and wet, and it doesn't seem to ever dry for days. And if you are serious about making miles, that'll just make you even hungier, then you'll wanna eat, alot.

And yeah mostly the people who come on here looking for the el cheapo thru hike experience are young college guys, that want a cheap escape from whatever for cheap. But as others have said, better safe than sorry, if you bring too much $, no ones going to steal it from you as you leave Katahdin, it'll be there for whatever. But running out is trip ending, period.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Congrats on your trek and climbing Mt Badass, that doesn't make you impervious to wanting a hot bath or dry clothes.
    There's the dickhead troll comment this thread was lacking.

Do me a favor & google the word 'context' please. Trust me, it'll not only help you in this thread, but in life as well. I never said I was impervious to anything, I was replying to someone who was telling me how t get into shape. Thanks though..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++