WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

This is like asking what a real breather is or a real sleeper is... if it is done it is real... if it is not done it is just imagined. I am imagining a real hike right now. Right now I am not a hiker... I am a cyber hiker. Later on when I hit a trail, I will be a hiker. I used to be a welder, pipefitter, machinist, clam digger, trapper, etc... I enjoy fishing, hiking, taking pictures, etc... In trying to make it simple, I am complicating it.

Let me start over: If you are doing it, you are real.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    This is like asking what a real breather is or a real sleeper is... if it is done it is real... if it is not done it is just imagined. I am imagining a real hike right now. Right now I am not a hiker... I am a cyber hiker. Later on when I hit a trail, I will be a hiker. I used to be a welder, pipefitter, machinist, clam digger, trapper, etc... I enjoy fishing, hiking, taking pictures, etc... In trying to make it simple, I am complicating it.

Let me start over: If you are doing it, you are real.
    Very well stated!

Images

a real hiker doesnt consider it a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    a real hiker doesnt consider it a sport.
    Real hikers hang out in the ... oops... better not advertise ....might bring in the riffraff... oops... too late... I am already there.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

A "Real Hiker", tends to enjoy what they do, both in a natural as well social setting, a real hiker follows, does not lead where numerous hikers went before.

Images

Real hikers don't need to be defined or ask about being a real hiker. They just go out & hike.
    Last edited by Mountain Mike; 02-03-2013 at 11:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    REal hikers don't need to be defined or ask about being a real hiker. They just go out & hike.
    So is that the definition of a Real Hiker? Your two sentences seem to contradict one another

Images

I'm more into poetry than science.

Real hikers smell. Fake hikers dont

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaidment View Post
    Winner......

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    I'm more into poetry than science.
    PERFECT A+...........

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaidment View Post
    Yes, and in this case ur smell could speak louder than words. Stay alert!

Images

real hikers know what Esbit is

real hikers would never use Esbit

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Except for starting larger than necessary fires at shelters

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    I am confused again. I did not know what Esbit was... but after looking it up I realize that I don't use it either.
    Where does that leave me?
    Playing the straight man... expecting the pain.

Honestly, I don't think I'd say "real hiker" out loud to anyone, but secretly? I maybe think it.

A real hiker is someone who hikes the way I want to. Someone who gets out there and does it over and over, and has fun, and doesn't get hurt too bad, and doesn't get too bogged down in worrying about stuff, and has learned a few lessons the hard way. They're the ones I sit up and pay attention to. And since I'm always learning, I'm always revising what "real hiker" means to me.

When my ears perk up and I think "oh hey! This person is a REAL HIKER!", that means I've noticed that I might learn something useful, and I pay more attention to what they have to say.

So, more miles under their shoes than I have, and *something* else (sense of humor, perspective, friendliness) that gets me thinking they know more than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by glaux View Post
    Honestly, I don't think I'd say "real hiker" out loud to anyone, but secretly? I maybe think it.

A real hiker is someone who hikes the way I want to. Someone who gets out there and does it over and over, and has fun, and doesn't get hurt too bad, and doesn't get too bogged down in worrying about stuff, and has learned a few lessons the hard way. They're the ones I sit up and pay attention to. And since I'm always learning, I'm always revising what "real hiker" means to me.

When my ears perk up and I think "oh hey! This person is a REAL HIKER!", that means I've noticed that I might learn something useful, and I pay more attention to what they have to say.

So, more miles under their shoes than I have, and *something* else (sense of humor, perspective, friendliness) that gets me thinking they know more than I do.
    Out of a lot of thoughtful, funny, and generally great replies, that's the best! Well said.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

A real hiker is anyone who does real hiking. That's not me, I just like walking in the woods carrying a backpack.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++