WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Default Discussion of death thread - if you don't like it stay out

I could be wrong but it appears that this accident happened at Raven Rocks (just north of Bear Den near the MCI tower) - see article below from May 31, 2005 in the Winchester (VA) Star- Fannypack

Berryville Teen Dies in Fall from High Rock Cliff
    By Stephanie M. Mangino
    The Winchester Star

BERRYVILLE — An 18-year-old from Berryville died over the holiday weekend after falling 75 feet as he and friends camped along the Appalachian Trail.

Michael Baldoni sustained severe head trauma from the accident on Raven’s Rock Road in Jefferson County, W.Va., said West Virginia State Trooper C.D. Kuhn, who investigated the incident.

It appears the fall, which occurred sometime between 4 and 4:30 a.m. Saturday, was accidental, Kuhn said.

Baldoni appears to have fallen as he and several of his friends moved from a high rock cliff toward their campfire, Kuhn said.

Baldoni was reportedly sitting on the edge of the cliff, Kuhn said.

Fire, rescue, and police crews from throughout the region responded to assist Baldoni, Kuhn said.

Enders, Blue Ridge, and Mt. Weather volunteer fire and rescue companies from Clarke County came to the scene, as did Loudoun County units, the Clarke County Sheriff’s Office, and the Maryland State Police, according to Kuhn and Clarke County emergency services dispatch.

Baldoni was lifted from the bottom of the rock cliff by a Maryland State Police helicopter, which transported the young man to Inova Fairfax Hospital in Fairfax County, where he was pronounced dead, Kuhn said.

The Fairfax County medical examiner advised that cause of death was severe head trauma, Kuhn added.

Journal Entries
    Images

my prayers are with the family and many friends that this young adventurer had to have had..............

Default tragedy

There was an article in the Frederick News-Post about rescuers from this area being called to help rescue a camper who had fallen 100 feet near Bluemont, Va. Naturally I wondered if it was a camper on the AT. I imagine this is the one about which the article was talking. What a tragedy.
    mini-m.

happypappy

I am sorry to hear this. It is always a shame when someone so young dies.

Even some of the newspapers appear to be asking why he was out so early and the authorities are investigating this question. Also, the June 1 articles are reporting the time as 5:30 a.m. which is in twilight--sunrise up there was probably only 10-20 minutes away. And, the location was indeed reported as Raven Rocks.

http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=d...17&format=html

I have spent many mornings, pre-dawn sitting on a rocky outcrop awaiting a sunrise and the vista the morning sun will bring.

It is always hard for me to read things like this, having kids of my own in that age group and having sailors that work for me that still believe that nothing bad will happen them.
    My prayers go out to the family.
    Sandy

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy B
    My prayers go out to the family.
    Sandy
    I'm not much into praying, but if I were I would certainly think of the family. My kids are all middle-aged. But I still worry about them 24-7. I can't think of a bigger personal tragedy than the death of a child, that one has raised from infancy.

Weary

You are a good man Weary.

Default what was he doing there...

Apparently, he was camping up near there somewhere.

Whenever I see photos of hikers standing on McAfee Knob(or Cliff), especially with big backpacks on, I get chills!!!!!
    mini-m.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Mosey
    ... Whenever I see photos of hikers standing on McAfee Knob(or Cliff), especially with big backpacks on, I get chills!!!!!
    I've always wondered about that. Those photos look scary, but if you fall off McAfee Knob, how far do you really fall? Do the photos make it look worse than it really is?

Quote Originally Posted by c.coyle
    I've always wondered about that. Those photos look scary, but if you fall off McAfee Knob, how far do you really fall? Do the photos make it look worse than it really is?
    I think the fall would be pretty bad. But, the fin of rock is wider in the plane perpindicular to the photo than you could possibly tell from the shot, so it's not tough to stand there. Same with Dragon's Tooth, which is much deeper than you could tell from the normal vantage point of photos.

Does it really matter at this point how it happened and what was involved. If you don't know a person then don't judge them. All that should matter at this point is that a person passed away leaving grieving family and friends who now become even more hurt when reading comments like some of the ones posted here. So as a person who knows the friends of this young man, screw you all for those comments. Thanks to people like you it makes the grieving process even harder for those involved. This was a good person and doesn't deserve to have all these people saying things about him and putting s*** on who he really was...............Friend of Michael Baldoni

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

{{{ Brown }}} Terribly sorry for your loss. Glad you came here to set the record straight regarding the circumstances around your friend's passing.

The death of someone so young is a tragedy regardless of the circumstances - doubly so if alcohol / drugs are involved because everyone has to wonder if it would have happened if the person hadn't been impaired. A friend died at 18 and my best friend has lived with severe brain damage for decades due to a drunken evening they spent on Sunset Rock in the Chattanooga, TN area. It kept me from considering going near cliffs and overlooks while partying back in the day.

Journal Entries
    Images

Brown

I am sorry for the lose of your friend also. It is hard to keep people from posting and passing judgement. No matter what there is always someone who has to stir the pot and say something wise or assinine. But if the shoe was put on the other foot that person would understand. But I am not wishing this on anyone. I am sorry the thread had to turn negitive and disruptive. I wish I could take everything back that others have said. But I can not. I have lost someone close before and for people that have never lost one close they will never know what this kind of posting does to someone.

I wish you the best. I know that this will never be enough. I am sorry.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Default Brown....

I second what Attroll said, and I hope any comments I made didn't add to your pain.

I see you're from Shepherdstown. I lived there for many years.
    mini-m.

Quote Originally Posted by chomp
    Lets not jump to conclusions, here. A young man is dead. Lets not speculate on the circumstances surrounding this accident until we have some facts. High School kinds have also been known to sit up and talk all night without substance abuse.
    yea we do that (im 17)

Default Sympathy

Brown,
    I'm so very sorry about the death of your friend and apologize for the negative comments about the possible circumstances. Please know that all of us on this website are sorry and extend our sympathy to his family and friends.

-Bolo

::sigh:: Death is a very fascinating subject. I spent 4 years of my life as an Emergency Medical Technician. I've seen a wide range of injuries, and had my share of deaths. One of my first calls at one of the towns I worked for was the death of one of the members' father.

It hurts. Even when you're not directly related. But at the same time, it fascinates you. Draws you in... Makes you think.

In some cases, thinking's a bad thing. Sometimes it's fun to speculate on why things are. God only knows I've spent a couple of nights wondering why I chose to drive 120 down a highway one night, get pulled over, and find out not only was I speeding, but operating an unregistered vehicle. Oyi. That went well with my parents.

But it's the same thing with death. How'd he die? Was it an accident? Was he drinking? Was he out with a bunch of friends, just talking about how much life lay ahead of them?

Regardless, think these thoughts to yourself, and certainly not in a public forum. The exchange of ideas is amazing -- and highly encouraged -- but remember, drunk or not, death hits hard. Michael Baldoni was an 18 year old child... someone's son... someone's legacy... Someone's flesh-and-blood realization that they'd taken on the responsibility of raising a child in this sometimes dark and cruel world and by God, they would do everything they could to keep his life as bright as possible... and now, his unique light has been put out for reasons we can only hope to understand.

As people who are fascinated and captivated by nature (who else would want to brave 2180 miles of it if they didn't love it?), I would think you all would realize that it is unbelievably fragile, and that, though as flawed as some of us humans are, we are still part of nature, and deserve as much respect -- both in life and in death -- as we would give to the Trail and its inhabitants.

Brown, my sympathies go out to you, Michael's family, and his friends.

Images

Regardless, think these thoughts to yourself, and certainly not in a public forum.
    Disagree.

If it were my child (or my brother) I would prefer others understand what went wrong and how to avoid it. To state that discussing it is a bad thing - is a bad thing.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 08-04-2005 at 14:48.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++