WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    Interesting. I guess there had been quite a change from the heavy mileage and shorter timetables since I'd met those folks at War Spur Shelter ten years prior.

Datto
    You may very well be right. The 1990, 1995, 2000, 2005, and 2010 Expeditions all had a 127 day schedule. The 2010 is the only one I have the logistics for and the War Spur Shelter is not listed as a scheduled stop. The schedule quite possibly had been "refined" by then. The 1975, 1977, and 1980 Expeditions were the shorter ones at 109 days. I imagine those were quite tough.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

how many times has Doyle walked the thing???! His celebrity factor cannot be calculated - it's beyond human comprehension. we cannot know until after we have solved the unified field theory. or until we are raptured. I have heard that if you look directly into his eyes that it is like falling into a black hole. Warren Doyle is the only living being that Chuck Norris would ask for an autograph.

Is it true that after you walk the thing 7 times you get to the point where you are younger at the finish than you were when you began?

it's a shame lone wolf forgot how to enjoy himself.

great post datto, i agree with pretty much everything you said. some good advice in there.

At the risk of being redundant, I'll say again, I didn't see any misery in Doyle's group in 2000. Seemed like a pretty happy bunch to me. There was one guy who was running around the woods, naked and whooping it up. He may have had other problems, but misery sure wasn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Calson View Post
    it's a shame lone wolf forgot how to enjoy himself.
    i enjoy myself more by accident than you ever will on purpose

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Great quote, can I borrow that?

Since when is a long string of slackpacking day hikes considered a thru hike?
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    Since when is a long string of slackpacking day hikes considered a thru hike?
    I see your point, but I keep it simple, did they carry their own butt from one end to the other in the same year? Pack or no pack its still hiking. I'll call it a thru.

The real question is; did they take the canoe in Maine I hear I makes a difference.

Journal Entries

Good piece. Thanks for taking the time to pen it. A lot of moms and dads weren't there for their kids and as a result teaching good manners was a hit or miss thing. Nothing wrong with a little reminder. Like any other sport or hobby, one or two di....er, rotten apples can spoil the whole basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    that's a bold assumption. i don't see the joy in being a trail days narc, but maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    For the 2015 Circle Expedition this requirement has been eliminated. The former 127 day schedule has also been extended to 140 days.
    Warren's getting older

that's a bold assumption. i don't see the joy in being a trail days narc, but maybe that's just me.
    that's a bold accusation there spunky. care to back your mouth with facts?

i don't see the joy in being a trail days narc, but maybe that's just me.
    are you referring to The Place? a church run private hostel that strictly forbids drugs and alcohol on the property with signs posted everywhere? you must be one of the dopers i called the cops on for smokin' dope inside the building. if that makes me a "narc" then oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Warren's getting older
    This is true. (LOL) He'll tell you himself he's slowing down. The groups themselves are getting older. A lot more 50 somethings signing up.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    This is true. (LOL) He'll tell you himself he's slowing down. The groups themselves are getting older. A lot more 50 somethings signing up.
    It's that wave of boomers hitting early retirement all at once.

During my AT thru-hike I hiked with a guy named Moxie -- he was a politician for his line of work and also evidently worked at the place where the AT profile maps were printed. Such a nice guy to have hiked with on my AT thru-hike. Great humor and commentary along the way.

Somewhere along New Jersey or New York a radio station in Maine from near Moxie's home town wanted to put Moxie on the radio live during his AT hike -- during the morning 8:00am drive time.

Moxie was a little concerned at the time because we'd all become accustomed to being in "The Woods" so much -- Moxie said the radio wanted to put him on the radio live and Moxie said that he was concerned he might say "$cx54x" live on the radio and the DJs told him that he wouldn't. Ha, Moxie was still a little concerned about it because we were so laid back about being PC and all.

Anyhow, Moxie did the radio interview live and did very well. I'm sure with Moxie's personality he was a big hit for the listeners on the drive time morning radio show.

Datto

Why is it expected that i undure being bugged by peoples expectations,while trying to escape peoples expectation in my every day life?

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    Why is it expected that i undure being bugged by peoples expectations,while trying to escape peoples expectation in my every day life?
    at first i didn't understand your post then I realized it was in code. I can only reply, the fat walrus accepts no trail magic and takes the blue blaze into Gorham. Rendezvous at 0400 at Blood Mountain at checkpint charlie. The password is pancakes. please delete this post after reading.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++