WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Book: Murder on the Appalachian Trail

I just finished Murder on the Appalachian Trail. The accounting of a double murder on the Trail in Virginia in 1981. Some of the things about the story were shocking, but crazy people are everywhere. One of the best parts of the story were centered around how very little has changed about Trail Culture and the seemingly wonderful people that populate Trail towns. Having Hiked last year I experienced a warmth and sincere appreciation for the Trail Culture, the simple outpouring of fraternal affection.

After reading the story I looked into what happened to the convicted killer, Robert Lee Smith. After prison, 15 years, and probation of 10 years, he went on to attempt another double murder near the Trail in 1996. He was fatally injured.

Anyone else read this book? What was your take on the story?
    Go Everywhere, Study Everything, Fear Nothing

Man im going to have to read it. the guy only got 15 years for killing 2 people ?? man our court system is screwed up

Images

Man im going to have to read it. the guy only got 15 years for killing 2 people ?? man our court system is screwed up[/QUOTE]

Well, jj, the trial was not held in Texas. Results may differ there IIRC.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

It's been a few years since I read it, but I remember it being a rivetting story and a very well-written book.

I have camped several times in the Dismal Creek Valley -- most recently on my through-hike this past fall (I stayed in Wapiti Shelter, the murder site in 1981) and notably in 2008 in the same campground only weeks before Smith's double-murder attempt (thank God it was only an attempt this time and the victims miraculously survived). The valley is very dark and eerie, though I am sure the valley's infamy as the murders site plays into that as well as the rather unfortunate name. Whatever it is, the place casts a pallor of gloom, even though it is a very pretty area, especially if you are a fan of creekside walks and laurel thickets. And, I will say that I felt a lot less creeped-out staying there knowing that Smith is dead than I felt in other places where there are unresolved murders (like Cow Camp Gap).

A couple of things about the case against Smith -- 1.) I think his plea and relatively light sentence for having murdered two people came about in part because the prosecutor had to rely a lot on circumstantial evidence, and, had the case gone to trial, a conviction was not a sure bet. The standard of proof is, after all, "beyond a reasonable doubt." Plus, by negotiating a plea, the prosecutor avoided the possibility that Smith would try (and not unlikely carry) an insanity defense. 2.) Ironically, about the time Smith was getting out of prison (the gubernatorial term of now Macaca-infamous George Allen), Virginia abolished parole, though it only applied to future sentencing.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    Man im going to have to read it. the guy only got 15 years for killing 2 people ?? man our court system is screwed up

And even more so when you learn about the two campers he shot after his release.

Journal Entries
    Images

And most folk post fear of bears.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

He shot 2 guys that were fishing, and was later arrested, he died in jail shortly after being arrested

I remember that... they closed a portion of the trail. The local news was interviewing hikers. It was the summer of 2008.

Images

This happened at Wapiti Shelter, right?

yes........

Journal Entries
    Images

But which one?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    man our court system is screwed up
    It sure is in Texas. But then, if you don't like the American system of justice, I'm guessing there are other countries around the world that might take you. Also where crazy people can freely get their hands on guns.

It has been a while since I read the book, but I seem to recall since then that the particular shelter was torn down. There is no longer a Wapiti 2 shelter, is there?

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    And most folk post fear of bears.
    It's a reasonable fear, there are more bears than killers on the trail. Just saying

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    It's a reasonable fear, there are more bears than killers on the trail. Just saying
    I see the smiley, but on a serious note...

No one hiking the AT has ever been seriously injured much less killed by a bear on the Trail.

Five thru hikers (all of them many hundreds of miles into their walks from one end of the trail to the other) and one long-distance section hiker have been killed by a murderer on the AT.

In point of fact, more THRU HIKERS have been killed on the Trail at the hands of a complete stranger than by drowning, lightening, snakes, insect allergy, hypothermia, heatstroke, hunting accidents, road/car accidents and tree fall, and bears combined.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

the most dangerous animal in the woods walks on two legs.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

I don't remember the details, but the guy didn't get off for double-murder in the first degree, rather in the second degree, so the sentence was appropriate, assuming it was second degree.

Now we all know it wasn't second degree, but that's all the evidence would support. So our Judicial system is fine. Imagine if we could lock him up for life without the evidence to support, maybe that would be good in that case, but think of how that power could be abused in the umpteen other cases.

Society is still very much intact.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post

No one hiking the AT has ever been seriously injured much less killed by a bear on the Trail.

Five thru hikers (all of them many hundreds of miles into their walks from one end of the trail to the other) and one long-distance section hiker have been killed by a murderer on the AT.

In point of fact, more THRU HIKERS have been killed on the Trail at the hands of a complete stranger than by drowning, lightening, snakes, insect allergy, hypothermia, heatstroke, hunting accidents, road/car accidents and tree fall, and bears combined.
    not to mention the rapes, assaults and robberies too yet nobody wants to protect themselves from humans, a lot of thought goes into protecting themselves from bears. waste of time. i choose not to be a victim..

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    not to mention the rapes, assaults and robberies too yet nobody wants to protect themselves from humans, a lot of thought goes into protecting themselves from bears. waste of time. i choose not to be a victim..
    In June 1978 4 high-school aged girls were raped and beaten by 5 men in a two-hour ordeal at the Moreland Gap shelter just NOBO of US 19E. It was their first night on the trail and they'd walked past some of the guys where the trail parallels a road as they headed up from the highway. The fine, upstanding citizens of Buck Mountain, TN, from which all 5 perps were from, assisted in the hiding of the perps for periods ranging from weeks to months. One of the victims was a member of my church here in Raleigh, NC.

As my interest in all things AT surges again after decades of dormancy, I see Buck Mountain, US 19E, Hampton, and environs still has a dirty reputation for hostility towards hikers and backpackers. What a shame--it's a beautiful area to visit and the locals could benefit from a more welcoming stance towards tourism.

AO

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alleghanian Orogeny View Post
    In June 1978 4 high-school aged girls were raped and beaten by 5 men in a two-hour ordeal at the Moreland Gap shelter just NOBO of US 19E.
    Thirty-five years ago? You're dredging up something that old, without substantiation? Give us a link to an authoritative site. Give us some details. Were these nine people all locals out for a drunken party? Were the "men" also high-school aged? Was the "AT" merely incidental and they were not hiking it at all?

I'm not much of one for half-truths, nor for having to guess at the back story.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++