WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

WHen did the AT become a National Park?

Maybe in prep he read "Tom Sayer" You guys kill me. LOL

Images

He should have just tattooed RIFLE on his forehead... IF he was really that proud, he would want to show it to the world - not just a bunch of shelter dwellers on the AT.
    Biggie

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I found a wood chisel on the side of the road once and carried it for awhile. I used it to REMOVE names carved in shelters walls which weren't cut in too deep and were recent. Eventually doing that got to be too much work.
    At least while you were doing it you were making the world a better place, which is appreciated.
    Last edited by Astro; 01-15-2013 at 00:12.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Two things, especially for the complainers who are telling us to live and let live:

1. Broken window syndrome - look it up.
    2. “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
    Edmund Burke

You may have the right to use public lands, but not destroy or deface what's there.
    Old Hiker,
    I was thinking about both of those. Glad I read through before posting it again. I guess "great old" minds think alike.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

If the "kid" tagged your house you'd call the cops. Probably no lawyer would use the "caveman" defense to get the "kid" off for fear of being laughed out of the profession

Quote Originally Posted by mfleming View Post
    If the "kid" tagged your house you'd call the cops. Probably no lawyer would use the "caveman" defense to get the "kid" off for fear of being laughed out of the profession
    I fail to see the analogy.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tluweyen View Post
    Your pleading for tolerance and understanding for this "kid" is why there are continually issues with manners. If no one speaks up and condemns this "kid", he will never know his behavior is inappropriate. BTW....he is an adult who is displaying the maturity of a child. He will hopefully learn from this and develop an appreciation for other people's and the public's stuff. That will never happen if we shut up because you have seen worse behavior. So no, people should continue to shame him into developing respectful behavior.
    Plenty of people have spoke up................... read his guestbook
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    WHen did the AT become a National Park?
    October 2, 1968, with the passing of the National Trails System Act.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Hope Rifle gets to meet Bob Peoples.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I like to read the "graffiti." it gives the shelter some character! When I see someones name from years ago it makes me think. You're all making some thing outta nothing

I could care less if a shelter has some graffiti. At least Rifle used some effort carving it and didn't just use a sharpie.
    GA 80-Miler

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    October 2, 1968, with the passing of the National Trails System Act.
    At the risk of thread drift,the National Trails System Act only created access to trails.The AT ,and other long distance trails, are administered by several federal agencies,the NPS,USFS and BLM.If the whole AT was a National Park it would be patrolled by NPS Rangers .The AT is mostly on land under the jurisdiction of the USFS in the districts which it passes through.Some exceptions are the GSMNP,SNP and some land near Harper's Ferry.This was explained to me several years ago by the District Ranger here on the Unaka district of the Cherokee National Forest.I was in his office complaining about ORV use on the AT on the Coldsprings Mtn area.He said that the USFS is administered by the Department of Agriculture,which has limited resources compared to the NPS,which is administered by the Department of the Interior with a larger budget and "could put a Ranger behind every tree".Each separate USFS District has only one "District Ranger" and,depending on size,only one or two LEOs to patrol sometimes several thousand acres.On special occasions,such as the Rainbow Tribe gathering, USFS LEOs are brought in from nearby districts and local state or county LEOs to help.Here in Greene Co. TN,the sheriff's department has an agreement with the USFS to help enforce laws&regulations on USFS lands. .....just sayin'....

Amen to that brother. (or sister?) Alot of people on here have alot of time on their hands to be complaining about this. Dang, I must have alot of time on my hands.

Journal Entries

http://www.nps.gov/appa/index.htm

The Appalachian Trail is a 2,184 mile long public footpath that traverses the scenic, wooded, pastoral, wild, and culturally resonant lands of the Appalachian Mountains. Conceived in 1921, built by private citizens, and completed in 1937, today the trail is managed by the National Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, Appalachian Trail Conservancy, numerous state agencies and thousands of volunteers.

You dont have to patrol a park constantly for it to be a park. That is ridiculous.
    Some of the first national parks are "parkways" ie roads. They are still national parks.
    Thru the work of the government, protected and preserved for the benefit of the people.

We have all kinds of parks. Land areas, trails, roads, marine areas that are underwater, caves, special geological features, historical remains, etc.

Not all need constant attention.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-15-2013 at 09:38.

Images

I am sure many of the posters on this forum are like me and would rather sleep in a tent than a crowded shelter, but on those nights when the wind is howling through the trees or 2 inches of rain is coming down it is nice to be able to get into a shelter. When I stay at one I prefer one without names and filth scrawled all over the walls. It is disrespectful to the people who build and maintain the shelters as well as other hikers and I see it as a PDI, Public Display of Ignorance.

Journal Entries
    Images

it is a shelter...in the woods...it was bound to happen...if he didn't start it... someone else would... profanity i might take issue with...but it's his name for God's sake and the guy is attempting a thru hike at 25 yo... i wish him well... and IMO... there are far worse shelter/trail behaviors that deserve attention far more than this....and graffitti doesn't stink or attract critters!!

After getting a chuckle out of following this thread, I stopped in my local watering hole and found this was put up yesterday in the men's room.

securedownload.jpg

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar
    Last edited by Mags; 01-15-2013 at 14:22.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    800 yr old or so graffiti

Douchebags.....

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++