WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: wet clothes

Journal Entries
    Images

Default wet clothes

We just did a section of the" AT" and it rained all day the first day. I hung my wet clothes up in the shelter,but still wet that next morning so I packed my wet items in my outside pocket. I was thing on some type of bag to put them in and hook it to my pack.I was wondering what other tricks hikers do for this? Thanks, hikingshoes

Wring 'em out in a shamwow then wear 'em again. They'll dry as you hike.

Images

Some not so nice hikers leave wet clothes hanging in a shelter..Why,I've yet to find out.....just sayin'....I do know that once something gets wet about the only way to get it dry is to wear it or hang it on your pack and wait for a hot July day. RJ has a good answer

Images

Wring them out real good, sleep in a vapor barrier and put the clothing between the vapor barrier and the top of your sleeping gear.

You need a sunny day, an electric dryer in town or just wear them until they dry. Did somebody already post that... ooops..
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Good synthetics including fleece should hold very little water, wring them out and wear them dry. Good wool will hold alot of water, but if good quality it won't felt easily and you can wring it out a little more carefully and wear until dry, and it won't feel too bad even when damp. You really want just one set of clothes, with about a 50/50 mix of wool and synthetic layers. Focus on keep the wool dry by wearing it most of the time using the synthetic layers as the layers you add when it is colder, or to keep the wool stuff dry if you know you gonna get wet. Extra clothes usually results in carrying more wet clothes than will never dry because you only have so much body heat to dry stuff out.

AT 2012

I agree with Jak. Wear your wet clothes till they're dry. Your body heat is the only effective drying tool you have. And try wearing poly tights or long johns under shorts to keep the amount of fabric that gets wet to a minimum.
    Lazarus

Images

Your wet hiking clothes go back on your body the next morning to hike in. It only hurts for a minute....

I'm being dead serious about this, btw. You put your dry clothes on to sleep in -- now they have to go back inside your pack so they will be dry and warm the following night when you get to camp. Having two sets of wet clothing is NOT a good idea. And if you are carrying more than two sets of clothing, you have too much.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Yep, wear the wet ones.

Some dont even bring a second set. Can always wear insulating clothes or baselayer or raingear after shedding the wet ones.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Some not so nice hikers leave wet clothes hanging in a shelter..Why,I've yet to find out.....just sayin'....I do know that once something gets wet about the only way to get it dry is to wear it or hang it on your pack and wait for a hot July day. RJ has a good answer
    They're attempting to air dry them. Or least avoiding putting the wet clothes in their pack. Or do you mean they leave the wet clothes behind when they leave the shelter?

If the clothes are in your way, just ask who they belong to, and 95% of the time the owner will move them.

I have a couple of small bungies on my pack I put wet socks, towels, etc. on.

Journal Entries
    Images

It was my clothes that was wait. I'd never leave things at shelter. I packed what wet things I had in my pack. Plus,I don't take two sets of hiking clothes I'm just asking how other hikers handle there wet clothes.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Recently I have been putting my hiking clothes under my sleeping bag but on top of my pad at night. I put theunder my knees, since this is comfortable for me. My body heat dries them out by morning. If things are really soaked, like they were this last weekend, I put lay the garbage bag (that I use as a pack liner) over the clothes so that they don't get my sleeping bag wet.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    It was my clothes that was wait. I'd never leave things at shelter. I packed what wet things I had in my pack. Plus,I don't take two sets of hiking clothes I'm just asking how other hikers handle there wet clothes.
    what things did you pack if you only have 1 set of clothes??

i wear them till they dry. damp clothes i sleep on top of. i never put wet stuff IN pack.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I found that rarely will anything dry overnight in a shelter on the AT. If you are wearing synthetic clothes, they will dry pretty fast. If you encounter any sunshine during the day, you can spread your stuff in the sun and they will quikcly dry. But I agree with the rest and say wear them the next morning (its painful for a few minutes), and they will dry out as you hike. Wearing them wet is better then possibly getting your 1 pair of dry clothes wet so you have nothing dry to sleep in the next night. If you are carrying more then just a pair of hiking clothes and sleeping clothes you are carrying too much weight.

What wet clothes I am not wearing I hang on the outside of the JAM2 or in the small outside pouch if it will fit. Wish that small pouch was mesh, and bigger. Might mod the pack. I do like the waterproofness of the main compartment though.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    ... If you are carrying more then just a pair of hiking clothes and sleeping clothes you are carrying too much weight.
    HYOH now. There are plenty of us that have no trouble carrying a second set of clothes.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

2013 Alleged Thru-Hiker Chuckie V's Avatar
    No Fixed Address (Though usually found in CO)

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT ever hike the Pennine Way in England, where there is no such thing as dry clothing! The protocol there was to slip out of the drenched clothing, pile them under the vestibule, and then slip into dry clothes each night, before wringing out and donning the wet ones each morning. If it's cold (as it was in the UK) you'll need to hike fast to generate heat. Cold is the killer, not being wet, though it's that much easier to get cold when wet.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have my hiking clothes, and sleep/ camp clothes,plus socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    HYOH now. There are plenty of us that have no trouble carrying a second set of clothes.
    Yep, and in cold weather I prefer 3 merino shirts, with one reserved for sleeping.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++