WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: wet clothes

One time my shoes froze. I foget to put them under my feet in a stuff sack like I usually do in freezing temps. One was stilled tied and I couldn't get it on.
    I had to pee in a bottle and slide it in the shoe to warm it up.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Images

I have had good luck using my body heat and sleeping bag as a way to dry, and press, my damp clothes at night.

Put them nice and flat on top of my sleeping pad, under sleeping bag. Near 100 degree heat works pretty well through the night. Nice and toasty in the morning.

The local dry cleaner was not happy when they heard this, knowing that they were losing some potential business.

I will also put my damp merino wool tee under my long sleeve capilene when I get into my sleeping bag, 100% dry pretty quick.

Q

POPEYE

being in the Marines when Id be in the field training and wet, clothes always went in between my bag and bivy sack and were dry in a few hours.
    Trailname POPEYE
    Retired United States Marine, finished thru hike Sept 13, 2013 with Warrior Hike warriorhike.com

Images

If you're in the shelter, place the wet clothes on the floor, put your sleeping pad over them and sleep on top. The wood will draw much of the wettness out and they will be semi-warm in the morning. Still damp but way better than hanging them or putting them inside your sleeping bag.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    If you're in the shelter, place the wet clothes on the floor, put your sleeping pad over them and sleep on top. The wood will draw much of the wettness out and they will be semi-warm in the morning. Still damp but way better than hanging them or putting them inside your sleeping bag.
    Great idea! Over two weeks of nonstop rain in Maine, I just wore my dry set at night, and put the we on in the morning, but a great idea for future hikes.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

put the wet clothes back on in the morning and wear them during hiking. Keep some dry clothes in your pack for camp/sleeping. You should be hiking with at least 3 pair of socks: rotate 2 pair for hiking, keep one pair dry for camp/sleeping.

Journal Entries
    Images

Praha, I take 3 pair of socks and one pair to sleep in too. I'm a cold sleeper so i have goose down booties too. i pack the same as you also.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Wear 'em again. They'll dry as you hike.
    I try to keep something dry to wear in camp and to sleep. In order to do that, if I have stuff that's wet from the day before, I just put it back on and get hiking. Your body heat will push the moisture out of synthetics and especially my favorite merino wool. When I get into camp wearing wet stuff, I tend to keep it on if I'm not getting too cold. Often everything is dry or nearly dry by bedtime.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Am I the only one who doesn't bring a dedicated set of clothes to sleep in? I have my hiking clothes and long johns (which may get hiked in). If every thin is wet at the end of the day I sleep in my skivies.

Of course the down jacket always stays dri for camp. And I do use a bag liner to keep my sleeping bag clean.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

on A.T.: "WET (AGAIN?!)" ::shammy the clothes, wear in sleeping bag (yes, even under a down quilt), science, warm dry clothes in the morning!::

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMordor View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't bring a dedicated set of clothes to sleep in?...
    I think most AT hikers bring at least one extra set of clothes for camping/sleeping. It's just us UL wackos who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by on_the_GOEZ View Post
    on A.T.: "WET (AGAIN?!)" ::shammy the clothes, wear in sleeping bag (yes, even under a down quilt), science, warm dry clothes in the morning!::
    Generally I do this except at the limits of the science, when there's a chance of 100% relative humidity and/or little ventilation. If you're in a tent you might set up a perfect storm of condensation and everything gets and stays wet including the down insulation. In addition to body heat you need dry air entering your environment. When things got wet with freezing fog and blowing snow on the AT (Smokies and Mt Rogers), I would limit my sleeping bag drying to socks, hat, and glove liners. Larger stuff went under the pad where at least they wouldn't freeze. That was good enough and it was a real luxury when I saw others struggling to put on frozen clothes. I was more concerned with keeping my bag dry than with clothes that were going to get wet right away again the next day.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

When I get in camp, I change to dry clothes. Just before sleeping, I put on my wet shirt, pants/leggings under my sleep clothes. They are dry in the morning, great in cold weather..

Journal Entries
    Images

Fond memorys of my thru.: Wakeing in the morning and changing from my warm dry sleeping cloths back into my hiking cloths that were still wet with sweat from the previous day.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Yep, and in cold weather I prefer 3 merino shirts, with one reserved for sleeping.
    In winter I sometimes have 4 pair of gloves,with 1 pair for work,cleaning the fire pit,picking up lots of things I'd rather not touch.Also make good pot holders..

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    it rained all day the first day. I hung my wet clothes up in the shelter,but still wet that next morning. I was wondering what other tricks hikers do for this?
    Well shake it up, bay-bee, now
    (Shake it up, baby)
    Twist ShamWow
    (Twist ShamWow)

C'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, bay-bee, now
    (Come on baby)
    Come on and wring it on oooout
    (Wring it on out)

Datto

If you want to somehow attach them to your pack for drying you could always put them into a mesh sack for air circulation.

But agreed with many who have already posted to either wear them while you hike or to dry them in your sleeping bag overnight while you sleep.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Old school. Unless it's colder out than the rating of your bag, then sleep in your wet clothes inside your bag. Clothes, bag and you will be dry in the morning. I hate this, but it definitely works.

henry
    Journal Entries

Like this idea,thanks

Journal Entries

Wear running shorts and a running shirt and you can carry 3 sets of clothes. They only weigh 7-8 oz per set. Wellw orth the weight in my opinion.
    Tridavis

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Generally I do this except at the limits of the science, when there's a chance of 100% relative humidity and/or little ventilation. If you're in a tent you might set up a perfect storm of condensation and everything gets and stays wet including the down insulation. In addition to body heat you need dry air entering your environment. When things got wet with freezing fog and blowing snow on the AT (Smokies and Mt Rogers), I would limit my sleeping bag drying to socks, hat, and glove liners. Larger stuff went under the pad where at least they wouldn't freeze. That was good enough and it was a real luxury when I saw others struggling to put on frozen clothes. I was more concerned with keeping my bag dry than with clothes that were going to get wet right away again the next day.
    If you're pushing the limits to that extent, and you're out for an extended period, you need a vapor barrier inside your bag (and inside your socks when you're walking). Even your normal insensible perspiration will condense in the down and won't come off until you get dry air. You have the same problem in zero-degree temps with frost accumulating in the down from the outside in, because the surface of the bag will still be below freezing.

If you're in town every few days and can throw your bag in a clothes dryer, do that, and you can probably get away without a vapor barrier unless you're in serious winter conditions.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++