WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Favorite Hostel

where's 10-K when we need his commentary on "the hostel that shall remain unnamed" on the AT at Erwin, TN. Knowing the diplomat he is, I'll bet he would only have nice things to say about the place.

Got a ride from them once, but stayed at the Holiday Inn Express just up the road .... felt like splurging that day. Ran into some other hikers up the trail that picked up that norovirus in that vicinity too.

Have not visited all hostels along the AT but really appreciated how clean and orgainized Green Mountain House in Vermont and White Mountain Lodge in Gorham were.

Some of the "famous" hostels on the trail need a good cleaning. I tried to leave them better than I found them, but wow, lots more work required.

Images

I don't know about 2013 availability, but from 2009, I will add Free State Hiker Hostel in Maryland, Dutch Haus near Montebelo, VA and Rambunny's place in Atkins, VA as being among the best.

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    I don't know about 2013 availability, but from 2009, I will add Free State Hiker Hostel in Maryland, Dutch Haus near Montebelo, VA and Rambunny's place in Atkins, VA as being among the best.
    Pretty sure Rambunny is closed again this year. It was great when open, especially compared to the nearby Relax Inn.

Surely one if the best, if not thee best hostel in terms of cleanliness, hospitality, and service is The Green Mountain House Hiker Hostel in Manchester Center Vermont.

Standing Bear, Hikers Welcome, Kincora, Green Mountain House

I have to agree that Rambunny's Happy Hiker Hostel had to be one of the best when it was in operation.
    More walking, less talking.

My all time favorite hostel is White House landing with Uncle Johnnies as a close second.

Would say hands down for me was, Brierley Hill outside of Lexington VA, Ken and Joyce the owners were the kindest people, ive met on trail. Besides of course Father in Pearisburg Va. Truly a very generous couple as they discount their rooms for thrus, but also for the time spent making sure youre treated as a guest, and not some bum, sadly which some hostels treat hikers as.

Journal Entries
    Images

My favorite hostal stop on my thru-hike was the Blueberry Patch. Gary and Lennie Poteat are great folks and run a fine hostel. Of all the hiker service places I stopped, I'll always remember the Blueberry Patch.
    My second best hostel was the Hikers Welcome in Glencliff, NH.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

I'd have to say Green Mt House, Shaw's, and Terrapin Station were my favorites. I also really enjoyed my stays at the Mayor's house and Tom Levardi's though they aren't really hostels. A really rainy day in Mass compelled me to hike a ways off trail to go to East Mt Retreat Center, a place I wouldn't have normally gone had it not been raining. I was very pleasantly surprised to have the place to myself and it was stupid cheap for what you got. They had perhaps the most comfortable beds of any hostel I stayed at.

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    . I also really enjoyed my stays at the Mayor's house and Tom Levardi's though they aren't really hostels. A really rainy day in Mass compelled me to hike a ways off trail to go to East Mt Retreat Center, a place I wouldn't have normally gone had it not been raining. I was very pleasantly surprised to have the place to myself and it was stupid cheap for what you got. They had perhaps the most comfortable beds of any hostel I stayed at.

all great places. I also liked the church hostels at DWG and Wayneboro (caught both of them on the night of a hiker feed!!!!!)

Registered User Maddoxsjohnston's Avatar

I've always enjoyed my stays at Uncle Johnny's

Greasy Creek Friendly! also, Dutch Haus was awesome, as was Woods Hole. Standing Bear was rustic to say the least. Uncle Johnny's had a leaky ceiling but I did get a free beer and ordered pizza in a downpour, so it was a nice layover for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    My favorite hostal stop on my thru-hike was the Blueberry Patch. Gary and Lennie Poteat are great folks and run a fine hostel. Of all the hiker service places I stopped, I'll always remember the Blueberry Patch.
    Agreed !!! This upcoming season will be their 20th.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

My personal top 5, in no particular order, and not including hotels (any place where I was in a private room):

1) Bears Den in northern VA
    2) The Chapman Inn in Bethel, ME--well off the beaten path, but a neat old building in a neat old town and my favorite breakfast on the ENTIRE trail
    3) Birdcage in Dalton, Mass. (no longer open ... the Birdman moved, there's another thread about this somewhere)
    4) Grace Lutheran in Waynesboro, VA
    5) Shaw's in Monson, ME
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Images

Bear's Den.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++