WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: rock stacking

Journal Entries
    Images

Default rock stacking

since trail etiquette seems to be a hot topic... and LNT seems to be a very big concern... i see all these pics , along the trail, with stacks of rocks (not boulders, rocks... had to clarify that) ... and the last time i checked rocks don't have legs, so these "piles " have been made by "people"... is it ok to stack rocks?

Douchebags
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Douchebags
    You just had to put that in color didn't you.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy bear View Post
    since trail etiquette seems to be a hot topic... and LNT seems to be a very big concern... i see all these pics , along the trail, with stacks of rocks (not boulders, rocks... had to clarify that) ... and the last time i checked rocks don't have legs, so these "piles " have been made by "people"... is it ok to stack rocks?
    Sounds like LNT to me :banghead:

Seems unnecessary and disruptive. That said, if seeing a cairn ruins your hike or makes you doubt mankind (I've seen great distress over this on other boards), you may need psychological help.

Images

Douchebags

You may as well start this one off kickin'

fire it up baby...fire it up...I like it. Just an FYI - I don't stack rocks. Not because I have some moral objection to it but simple because I'm too lazy and tired to bend down and pick one up.

Journal Entries
    Images

Douchebags
    you got that right!! and i am gonna get an official count of said rocks...and i want an APOLOGY from EACH offender!!

If we are talking about cairns above treeline, then these are marking the trail and nothing to get upset about. The damage to the environment would be greater if the trail were not marked and everyone took their own route.

Up here in New England there are many stone walls deep in the middle of the woods. These were built by farmers when they were farming that land, and pulling literally tons of stones from the ground trying to make the land more workable. When Europeans found how easy it was to farm in the midwest, many of these farmers moved or shut down. There is more forest in New England now than a few hundred years ago.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    You just had to put that in color didn't you.
    aren't all douchebags blue?!?! gah!!

Images

I biggest one I came across was in PA near the Pinnacle. I took it as hikers' way of making a statement on the rocks and finally, for a change, doing something (however small) about it. I am much took lazy to add to the rock pile.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    If we are talking about cairns above treeline, then these are marking the trail and nothing to get upset about. The damage to the environment would be greater if the trail were not marked and everyone took their own route.

Up here in New England there are many stone walls deep in the middle of the woods. These were built by farmers when they were farming that land, and pulling literally tons of stones from the ground trying to make the land more workable. When Europeans found how easy it was to farm in the midwest, many of these farmers moved or shut down. There is more forest in New England now than a few hundred years ago.
    i am not sure that they are all above tree line?? and there is a fancy name for rock stacking? whooda thunk it?

If you toast your rocks in the shelter and hangem there to dry we may have a problem. NTFS

you got that right!! and i am gonna get an official count of said rocks...and i want an APOLOGY from EACH offender!!
    Ha Ha!! ;P I see the stacked rocks as art work. Some can get very creative! I like knowing that people of the "right" kind have left their mark! LOL!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Schooly and gg-man...i am gonna start a new trend ... stacking sticks ...much lighter, easier on the back & knees... i am gonna call it... stacking sticks....

Yes, it's true that some people really get bent over by some stacked rocks http://leavenotracecommunity.blogspo...ocky-road.html

LNT people are environmetal zealots that profess their love for nature, but are clueless what nature is. If one sits around pondering stacked rocks impact on the environment, than they definitely have too much time on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Yes, it's true that some people really get bent over by some stacked rocks http://leavenotracecommunity.blogspo...ocky-road.html

LNT people are environmetal zealots that profess their love for nature, but are clueless what nature is. If one sits around pondering stacked rocks impact on the environment, than they definitely have too much time on their hands.
    I once saw rocks on the trail laid out to spell "John was here" - was that you?
    Last edited by atmilkman; 01-17-2013 at 11:57.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

While hiking in PA I have seen several "rock benches" made by positioning rocks to make a nice sitting spot at an overlook. I kinda thought it was nice--put the rocks to use.

In a completely unrelated observation, I notice that you're a blond.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++