WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

I hiked about 140 miles in VA in July, 2011 - It was cool, foggy, and cold at Thomas Knob Shelter - I wore my sweater, stocking cap and rain jacket in camp but the remainder of the trip was hot and dry with temps in the 80s - I hiked in running shorts, sneakers and part time shirtless - it was a fun trip but not nearly as cool as my Long Trail End to End the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I hiked about 140 miles in VA in July, 2011 - It was cool, foggy, and cold at Thomas Knob Shelter - I wore my sweater, stocking cap and rain jacket in camp but the remainder of the trip was hot and dry with temps in the 80s - I hiked in running shorts, sneakers and part time shirtless - it was a fun trip but not nearly as cool as my Long Trail End to End the year before.
    Sounds Awesome!!!

Well yeah, it really depends from year to year what the temps will be like... we had a very hot July last year. Around the 4th we had that Derecho blow through which took out ppls power for weeks. To add insult to injury we had record high temps so that people without power were beside themselves suffering in the heat wave without air conditoning. It was terrible. Luckily our power was only out for about 12 hours....

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Another WB response of a poster asking a specific question and most of the responders not answering the question and just saying whatever they want. Well done.
    Fred, it's true that the narrative simply asked one specific question but the thread title seemed more open-ended. I guess it depends how you read it.

I'll go ahead and drift a little bit as well ( but stay relative to the topic). Papa D- you said it got chilly one night out on the trail in July 11. I'm looking to do about 60 miles (illusory in 4-5 days) into Damascus heading south around late June or July and was curious what you would recommend for clothing? I sweat with the best and am generally hot so I was thinking :

Mesh shorts
    polyester short sleeve x 2- probably only need one but extra for dry at camp
    boxers
    Socks x 2
    long sleeve mid weight
    rain jacket

Thanks and all opinions welcome

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Southerner View Post
    As far as through-hikers, the vast majority of GAMErs will have passed through Virginia by then. You may encounter a few stragglers, mainly those who left late from Springer and are booking or those who are partying their way north and may not care all that much about reaching Katahdin by the end of the season. As to MEGAs, you would start seeing them in greater numbers the farther north you make it, especially if you are say near the midpoint in southern PA by mid-August. As to day and section hikers, summer is a popular time on the AT in Virginia, so expect to see Scouts, church groups, families, and the like, especially in touristy sections like Shenandoah Nat'l Park, Catawba Mountain, and Grayson Highlands. You may find shelters and popular camping sites full on nice weekends.

The heat can be rather oppressive in Virginia in July, even in the mountains. Last year, temperatures were over the 100-degree mark for several days in early July even in Roanoke. That was a bit unusual, but not unheard of. In a typical year, Virginia's mountains have thunderstorms every few days, but droughts are not uncommon, and springs could run dry in a heat wave. Then again, the same could be said about the trail just about any place south of Green Mountains in July.

If you are in good hiking shape at the onset of your trip, Damascus heading north would probably work. However, if you are not in pretty good hiking shape at the onset, you may want to consider starting at say Harpers Ferry and heading southbound through Virginia. Going northbound, you will be hitting the hardest sections of Virginia pretty soon into your trip.

Hope that helps, and enjoy hiking Virginia! It is one of the most pleasant states on the trail (which is good since it is so daggone long).

You obviously have NEVER been in Virginia on the AT in July.

Images

VA sucks in the summer. I've lived and hiked here my entire life. I'd honestly hit New Hampshire, Vermont, or even ME.

thank you for everything, I am still thinking about new england... The problem is, I am not in super hiking shape and I an scared of hitting a wall in maine. What do you think?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gurooves View Post
    thank you for everything, I am still thinking about new england... The problem is, I am not in super hiking shape and I an scared of hitting a wall in maine. What do you think?

One more time, I'll suggest the Long Trail - go northbound - as you go the hiking does get harder - - when you've hiked about 130 miles, the hiking does get real hard but you'll be getting your "trail legs" to some degree about then - - and you can just go slowly and steadily and take a lot of breaks. You're not going for a speed record either. Maine and NH are also nice - - yes, the hiking is harder than VA but bear in mind VA isn't flat - you still have mountains to climb (smaller ones) - you might as well enjoy the summertime in New England

What do I think? I think you are playing us!

But I might go on my own, and I would really like to team up sometime along the trail. And I heard so much good things about VA......

playing? Sorry, you have to explain, I am a french canadian and I dont understand what you are telling me!

But I might go on my own, and I would really like to team up sometime along the trail. And I heard so much good things about VA......
    Whatever....

? Ok.............

Thanks again for your advises HikerMom..

I forgot, HikerMomKD, My ultimate destination is virginia and thats what I'll probably do.

I forgot, HikerMomKD, My ultimate destination is virginia and thats what I'll probably do.
    I hope not...I need to change my name... FAST.

Wow...why is it suddenly weird? Ok... get out of my post, and no, don't change your name, It reflects your lack of creativity.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Please keep the arguing to PMing. Thanks and Merci !

ps. The Long Trail is a great suggestion. Easier logistically if coming from Quebec.
    Last edited by Mags; 01-18-2013 at 11:35.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

What do you mean by "the long trail" ?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

What do you mean by "the long trail" ?
    Vermont's Long Trail is a 275 mile foot path that shares 100 miles with the Appalachian Trail and then veers north through the Green Mountains to the Quebec / Vermont border.

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=2

About the right length for a 1 month hike at a casual pace.

Beautiful scenery and a classic hike in New England.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++