WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Svea 123 Stove: anyone still using?

I've had a Svea-123 stove for about 30+ years now and it still works as well as ever. I added the small screw-in pump to the top to pressurize it for starting, but otherwise its just the same as when I bought it years ago. Anyone else still using the Svea-123? Is there any advantage to the newer-type stoves out there?
    svea123.jpg

Images

Whats that thing weigh ?

Images

I still have my original SVEA, along with a brand new, never-used one (except for testing). I still use it for an occasional winter trip or car camping. I bought the first one in 1978. From July of 1980 to May 27, 1981 I used it virtually every day for at least two meals, occasionally for three. Eleven months straight of daily use, without so much as a hiccup. Never even replaced the wick. After that I continued to use it for all my backpacking/camping trips. I started using alcohol for three-season about 6 or 7 years ago. Still use the first SVEA for winter.

The advantage of the alcohol are weight, pure and simple. The SVEA is much more reliable in bad conditions. I do miss the ritual of priming and lighting the SVEA, plus I always enjoyed the sensation of absolute quiet that one got when they shut down the SVEA, I miss that as well.

The nostalgia is similar to the end-of-the-day ecstasy we used to feel in removing our boots. That is also missing for today's hikers. AHHHH the old days.

I blew one up on my first hike in '77.
    Was using unleaded in it instead of Coleman (Wasn't so easy to find back then, but gas stations were)

Never really trusted them after that although it was probably all my fault.
    Still have one though. (not the one I blew up)
    It's in my collection, that you can read about here.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Bought my 1st one in 1976 and it lasted about 4000 miles till 2001 when the pressure release valve blew out.What a surprise ,looked like an F-14 afterburner kicking in instead of trying to fix it I just got a new one (at a bit more than twice the price of 1st one).Once you learn how to prime it and have the time,it's a great stove for winter conditions.Most thru hikers shudder at it's weight but unlike MSR's white gas burners, they do not have a spare parts kit because you don't need any.A great stove I'd recommend it to all not afraid of it's weight.IMO it's dependability overcomes it's weight as on a cold morning when the alky & canister stoves are slow and sometimes will only heat water to less than a full rolling boil .....

" on a cold morning when the alky & canister stoves are slow and sometimes will only heat water to less than a full rolling boil ..... "

Interesting. So, do the alcohol stoves not burn as hot as the Svea with white gas?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry7 View Post
    Whats that thing weigh ?
    I just weighed my Svea, filled with fuel - 362gm. That's the stove by itself. Add another 260 for the 2-piece wind guard and support. Total of 622gm. A bit heveyer than the Primus I have (515, w/ a full can of fuel). How about some of the alcohol stoves out there?

Images

Alcohol stoves are less than an ounce. My entire alcohol kit, minus fuel is 8 oz. That includes, stove, pot, lid, windscreen, priming pan, pot lifter, mini bic, fuel measuring cup. So, yeah, a substantial weight savings. You do loose efficiency.

White gas provides way more heat per oz of fuel.

I still have a 123r and it makes me nostalgic when I see it, but I don't use it any more. I don't buy that it is more reliable than either alcohol or cartridge stoves. My alcohol stove is lighter and more reliable and to a lesser extent is my cartridge stove. White gas has more BTUs per weight than alcohol so some or all of the weight advantage of the alcohol stove might go away if I had a need to carry a lot of fuel on a particular trip. The thing is that a cartridge stove is likely to beat the SVEA for those trips and most trips I manage to restock every few days.

Sgt. Rock has done the math on various fuels on his site, you can make your own comparisons there, plenty of good info.
    LINK: http://hikinghq.net/stoves/weight_time_compare.html
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

My SEVA is now semi-retired. I used it almost daily for over 15 years. My home kitchen consisted of a microwave, toaster oven and the SEVA 123. Now that I finally have a real four burner gas stove, the SEVA can rest.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry7 View Post
    Whats that thing weigh ?
    1.4 pounds not including starter paste tube.

Its a high altitude white gas stove- The AT is not high altitude, and the stove is bomb proof and fails in 30 years - rubber parts and valves wear out... yes I used one for years.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

The svea stove is reliable and terrific in cold weather.My advice is to bring the pump,saves a lot of time and ag. On the other hand the svea is heavy,hard to refill,and dealing with gasoline has always been a humbug for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Saluki View Post
    " on a cold morning when the alky & canister stoves are slow and sometimes will only heat water to less than a full rolling boil ..... "

Interesting. So, do the alcohol stoves not burn as hot as the Svea with white gas?
    Yes, not even close.

I've had my SVEA since 1968, and it remains my usual stove. In fact, I bought each of my kids one for their adventures. For larger groups, especially melting snow, the gas tank is small.
    Cleaning the jet takes a few seconds with a bit of fine wire.The only other maintenance is replacing the filler cap gasket every few years. Cost , <$1.
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 01-19-2013 at 13:45.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Still using mine. I might take an alcohol stove if the weather is warm or I want extra space in the pack. If I need to have something hot right now, and if I want a lot of it, the SVEA never fails to deliver.

Images

I use mine on overnight hikes & long weekend trout fishing trips,
    the weight factor doesn't worry me....i like a little bit of retro in my life.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Onsen; 01-19-2013 at 17:33.
    enough talking......let's get walking !

Anybody know where I can get an original wind screen/pot holder for the Svea?? What about other parts stuff, like the wire jet cleanout?

SievertSv123a.jpg

Journal Entries
    Images
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Anybody know where I can get an original wind screen/pot holder for the Svea?? What about other parts stuff, like the wire jet cleanout?SievertSv123a.jpg
    packstoves.net may be able to help you.

Anybody know where I can get an original wind screen/pot holder for the Svea?? What about other parts stuff, like the wire jet cleanout?
    SievertSv123a.jpg
    Get a bit of speaker cable. The individual wires are just right for cleaning the jet
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++