WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for light weight, small compactable sleeping bag

hey guys im looking for a new sleeping bag, light weight, packs small, im leaning toward the western mountaineering highlite bag... was wonding if you guys could recommend any others i should take a look at.

Journal Entries
    Images

Tough call its a great bag, right weight, but there are close outs everywhere You can pick up Bags at 115 if you shop carefully,,, these close outs are there for those that wait.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

i took the highlite to maine last august. i love it.im sure there are less epxensive alternatives though.but now im spoiled. it packs small and super light, lofts up nicely. and made in the usa

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Tough call its a great bag, right weight, but there are close outs everywhere You can pick up Bags at 115 if you shop carefully,,, these close outs are there for those that wait.
    Where do you find Western Mountaineering bags for $115 ? Closeouts of WM bags are few and far between.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I had an Highlite then switched tothe Summerlite.
    to me the full zip and extra warmth was worth the extra weight.

The WM Caribou meets your description also. Very good if you like a little more room in your mummy bag plus it has a full-length zipper. I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned quilts yet....

quilt!!!!!

Hike smarter, not harder.

Just make sure you get a WM that fits your shoulders, since they have several widths. Although I haven't used my Megalite since I got a quilt.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    quilt!!!!!
    This. Take a look at Enlightened Equipment among others. I took the quilt plunge last summer and I ain't going back.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Where do you find Western Mountaineering bags for $115 ? Closeouts of WM bags are few and far between.
    I believe he meant that you can get good quality bags from other manufacturers for cheap on a close out.

I'd love to have a western mountaineering bag, but last year when I need a new bag I couldn't afford one. I ended up finding a great deal on the REI Subkilo that was about $130 on clearance and practically free after I applied my dividend. The Subkilo is a decent down bag for three season use, though I don't believe their 20 degree temperature claim for a second (it's more like a 30-40 degree bag.). If I were planning a thru hike where I was going to live in my bag for six months straight, I'd probably upgrade to a Western Mountaineering of Feathered Friends bag, but the My REI Subkilo is just fine for a week or two on the trail.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

++ New Posts ++