WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Coffee drinkers

Default Coffee drinkers

We met a guy at Carter Hut using an aeropress to make coffee. Looks perfect for backpacking
    http://www.aeropress.com/

...speaking of coffee, I found a new type of product (at least I think it's new) at Wal-Mart. Barnie's Coffee Kitchen, Pronto! personal brew coffee. It's liquid coffee in small single-use "sticks". Similar to Java Juice but tastes much better. I used Java Juice in past years. Tried it again last year and they either changed the formulation or I got a bad batch. It had a very chemical-like flavor. This Barnie's product tastes really good. Better than the Starbucks instant IMO.

Chaco Taco...didn't mean to hijack the thread, sorry. That product looks interesting.

Oh no problem. Always open to coffee suggestions. Java Juice is ok. We typically carry our own ground coffee and used a mesh tea ball. Clean up is always a pain. The clean up for the aero press is super easy.

Hmmmm... that aeropress is interesting. Not sure I'd want to take it out into the backcountry, myself (I thrive on Madaglia D'Oro); but I see its appeal. Fresh espresso in camp would be a wonderful luxury! Now if I could figure out how to froth whipping cream in a titanium mug...
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

I am a Starbucks hater, but like their Via for backpacking and bike tours. I may have to try the Barney's stuff.

i tried to quit coffee on a 10day trip in the san juans, huge mistake,
    since then i have tried every alternative possible, im really impressed with via by starbucks.
    i wonder if barnies is available at retailers other than walmart

Another solution:

Dump 1/4 ground coffee, 1/4 cup sugar into about 20 oz water when you go to bed at night. Next morning fire up the stove and bring to boil, remove from heat and let sit for about 5 minutes. Pour off into your coffee cup. Grounds settle out and require no filtering. Lettin' it set overnight makes it taste better to me and the grounds settle better.

Many ways to to do it. One of these comes in at 3.4 oz., less if you forego the cover.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...XHVQ2V9FXTCNXJ

Hmm, saturating the grounds does not appeal to me and just seems like it would ruin the beans. I gave up Starbucks because they over roast the beans. We are def coffee snobs and having high quality is a luxury that we enjoy to have, esp on longer trips. Thanks for the info folks.

Now that is really nice, thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Many ways to to do it. One of these comes in at 3.4 oz., less if you forego the cover.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...XHVQ2V9FXTCNXJ

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

I was pondering this question. I am a huge coffee connoisseur but really didn't want the hassle of brewing everyday on a 5 month hike. So two months ago I switched to half caff. Then one month ago I switched to decaf. Now when I start I will only be quiting coffee and not caffeine. Hopefully one less thing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy Morocco View Post
    I was pondering this question. I am a huge coffee connoisseur but really didn't want the hassle of brewing everyday on a 5 month hike. So two months ago I switched to half caff. Then one month ago I switched to decaf. Now when I start I will only be quiting coffee and not caffeine. Hopefully one less thing to worry about.
    Hmm, still like my coffee in the am, esp on the trail

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco:1397683
    Hmm, still like my coffee in the am, esp on the trail
    Nothing wrong with that. I will join you for a cup in town:-)

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    ...speaking of coffee, I found a new type of product (at least I think it's new) at Wal-Mart. Barnie's Coffee Kitchen, Pronto! personal brew coffee. It's liquid coffee in small single-use "sticks". Similar to Java Juice but tastes much better. I used Java Juice in past years. Tried it again last year and they either changed the formulation or I got a bad batch. It had a very chemical-like flavor. This Barnie's product tastes really good. Better than the Starbucks instant IMO.
    The southern pecan sounds promising.

I have an aeropress and use it pretty much everyday. It is an awesome coffee maker. Taking it up to a hut is a great idea, but not for backpacking. The aeropress is very easy, but instant is so much easier and doesn't taste bad if you get the good stuff. You have to have a mug for the aeropress and I drink coffee from my cook-pot so on top of the extra weight from the coffee maker you have to take an extra vessel to drink from. Then there is the extra water that must be collected to clean it which cannot be drank (i don't use soap and drink my dish water). I guess it would be good for a chill trip where there is plenty of water and you are doing short days and living good, but not for my standard long distance kit.

But really, if you like coffee get an Aeropress; they are very cheap and produce an awesome cup.

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Planning on packing an old school aluminum Mirro drip coffee maker, works great with the super cat that I made yesterday, boils 12 oz in 4 minutes, and then simply pour the hot water through the grounds. I will be happy to brew you a cup when our paths cross.

I have one of these:

http://bialettishop.com/MokaExpressMain.htm

I think I have the three cup size (those are espresso size cups). I rigged it up so you could store a tea-light alcohol stove in the coffee holder (center). I made a hardware cloth pot stand and wind screen that fits in the top receiver (where the coffee ends up). and you can store a baggie of coffee grounds and a very small fuel bottle in the water reservoir (bottom) for a fully contained mokka system. Never actually took it hiking yet, but it would be a novelty.

they keep these at the huts up here

Images

Coffee is one thing I will not give up on. Tried a little one cup drip model that worked well. Normally just go with cowboy coffee. Bring my water to rolling boil. Take off heat add coffee, cover & let seep. After a few minutes a few taps on side of pot & a few drops of cold water settle the grounds.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++