WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Coffee drinkers

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjkenney67 View Post
    just received mine today from Amazon. This thing is awesome! Excellent quality. I tested it twice this morning. From boiling water with my alcohol stove to clean up with bottled water. Clean up is very simple. I used Starbucks 8 cup compressed packets from the local grocery store. One was an expresso blend, awesome!

It uses number 2 paper filters. This can be replaced with a mesh cone filter for even easier clean up.

I will not go back to instant coffee on the trail... I highly recommend the Slick Drip for hardcore coffee drinkers...
    That's great to hear, I ordered one and cant wait to get it. Thanks for the review!
    Long Trail 8/12, AT SOBO 2013, https://www.youtube.com/user/Polechar/videos

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    ...speaking of coffee, I found a new type of product (at least I think it's new) at Wal-Mart. Barnie's Coffee Kitchen, Pronto! personal brew coffee. It's liquid coffee in small single-use "sticks". Similar to Java Juice but tastes much better. I used Java Juice in past years. Tried it again last year and they either changed the formulation or I got a bad batch. It had a very chemical-like flavor. This Barnie's product tastes really good. Better than the Starbucks instant IMO.
    Thanks for this post 2stix... bought some recently and was quite impressed. In the past few years, I've resorted to chocolate covered coffee beans for my coffee/caffeine fix. This product will bring me back to the mornin liquid gold! I like the option of a cold brew, just in case I don't want to break out the cook kit. In my concrete jungle life, I actually prefer iced coffee/espresso drinks anyway. Thanks again!!!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Grabbing my coffee and heading out to do my morning papers. Cheerio.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Grabbing my coffee and heading out to do my morning papers. Cheerio.
    See ya JAK, I'm gonna get some coffees my own self.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hootjm View Post
    Trader Joe's instant is the best I found so far. I like it better than Starbuck's Via.
    Sure would like to try it! Alas, no trader Joes in the Denver area, and I can't figure out how to order the stuff online. I need to try again...

I'm back. Cold out there. Have to change my front tires, had a flat on 17" rims. Need some front end work done but until then throwing some old 16" on my 16" rims but my old 16" tires are full of ice so I have to thaw them out. Should have done it two days ago when we had that warm wind up here. Brought the tires inside by the fireplace.

Time to grab another coffee and think about this some more. :-)

Images

I received my slick drip today and tried it out, made a great cup of coffee using some peets coffee. It weighed 3.5oz, I trimmed off the top ring of the cone, compressed it then trimmed the base to the same size as the compressed cone part. It now weighs 2.1oz and works just as perfectly as it did before I modified it. This is definitely what I'm going to use on my through.

Been using the aeropress for the last four or five years. Hands down the best coffee method I have found. For backpacking I use the VIA instants. Tastes damn good on the trail. The Aeropress is just too heavy fro backpacking. Now if they came up with a titanium version.............!

This is what I have: http://www.rei.com/product/708069/sn...ch-press-3-cup

It made coffee just as good as the regular press pot I use every day. Admittedly cleanup is a PITA with a French press, but worth it. I'd sooner give up a leg than give up coffee, and you can keep your instant blecch no matter how much it's improved from yesteryear. Starsucks shall never pass my lips unless someone lies to me and claims it isn't. If I find out I was lied to and given Starsucks, the association with said person will end on the spot.

I've thought of getting an aeropress from all I've read about them, but I have enough clutter in small enough space with baggage limits if I get moved around, so it'd be one more thing to tote or sacrifice. One of these days I'll try one.

Images

Ok, so after a few more tests with the slick drip I found that it took a long time for the water to seep through the filter, so long by the time it was done I wanted to reheat the coffee back up.
    So reluctantly I decided to modify my Areopress.
    First thing I did was to cut it just above the number 2. (in the directions, you only fill it to the 2)
    Next I cut some excess off the base.(the part that sits on the cup)
    Then I removed the rubber off of the plunger and made my own plunger from some scrap aluminum. (cut a round piece of aluminum then welded on a handle, then put on the rubber).

The Areopress did weigh 8oz, mine now weighs 4.3oz
    If you do not have a way to make a plunger you can cut down the original as shown in the second picture. with that done the total weight is 5.2oz

This might still be a little heavy for some but clean up is a snap and it makes an awesome cup of coffee.
    002.jpg003.jpg
    Last edited by polechar; 02-05-2013 at 14:04.

I've been pretty happy with this Bodum setup. It's not ultralight by any means (~8.5 oz with the plastic hand thing removed) but it makes a nice cup of joe in the morning and my instant-using friends were pretty jealous. I just consider it a luxury item. Some of the reviewer complaints are true with a few grounds getting past the filter and the plunger not going down far enough to fully compress the grounds, but I don't really mind either of those things. Cleanup is really easy. Just pour a little water in, shake it around, and then toss some compost. Also, you've got a mug should the need arise (holds whiskey just fine).

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeeLane View Post
    (holds whiskey just fine).
    Here's to dual purposes!

found something really good by a great roastery that is local (for NE) and fair trade and loosk like easy for cleanup and simplicity
    http://www.nhcoffee.com/coffee_pods.html

A few years ago I was day hiking the AT south of HarpersFerry and was pasted by a SOBO thru hiker with a trombone in his pack. If hecan carry that for over 2000 miles I should be able to figure out how to get doubleduty out of a Trombone and brew a pot of coffee with it. The hard part will belearning to play a musical instrument.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have recently read a book on making "Cowboy Coffee" and will be using that method on CDT starting this April 2013. Check out the book: "Making Great Cowboy Coffee: A Guide to Brewing Cowboy Coffee at Home and on the Campfire", Jack McCoy.
    No need for cones, presses, etc., on the trail if you have your pot already. Read this book, its great.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I am a cowboy coffee fan. Try putting your coffee in the water the night before. I put 1/4 cup coffee, 1/4 cup sugar and about 20 oz water in my pot with lid. First thing I do in the morning is put the pot on alcohol stoveand bring to boil, remove and put in cozy to steep about five minutes. Pour it off into my plastic "cup" made from bottom of Folgers coffee "can". Grounds will stay on bottom. By the time I am packed up and ready to go coffee is ready. Sit there and sip coffee 'til it is light enough to move. Heaven!

Someone might have mentioned this already but I make my own little coffee bags "to go". Works just like a tea bag. I don't staple though. Just put a tablespoon of your favorite coffee (Dunkin' Donuts) in the center of a coffee filter, bunch up, twist and tie off with dental floss. Perfect cup every time! I have ziploc baggies full in each of my drop boxes. Weight: 1.2 oz.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Folgers still makes coffee bags...ala tea bags. Also a simple 1-2 cup french press makes great coffee. A cheap one will run about $15, and is plastic and very lightweight and colorful. (Target or Walmart)

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    I have recently read a book on making "Cowboy Coffee" and will be using that method on CDT starting this April 2013. Check out the book: "Making Great Cowboy Coffee: A Guide to Brewing Cowboy Coffee at Home and on the Campfire", Jack McCoy.
    No need for cones, presses, etc., on the trail if you have your pot already. Read this book, its great.
    SunnyWalker, I'm posting this link because I was intrigued by your post. thanks for the heads up!

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Great-C.../dp/0984496300

Images

I buy the really small ziplock bags at a crafts store and then I put one Starbucks instant via, 2 sweet n lows, and a tablespoon of dried milk. Makes one perfect cup of coffee. It feels the ziplock completely but its easy just dump the entire bag into cup fill with hot water. Works for me.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++