WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Thats pretty much how I do it, 20F quilt & small cuben fiber tarp. Only I use a GG polycro sheet as a ground cloth (its lighter). Though I often add a 6oz water resistant bivy sack.
    That begs two questions:

1) With a tarp the size of the Echo II, do you think I'd need a bivy sack if bugs aren't an issue?

2) Would you use a quilt rather than a bag when tarping it?

Use the smallest lightest tent (with ground cloth of some sort) you can afford. Wouldn't recommend a hammock or a tarp, especially in the high elevations of the Sierra's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I did the JMT last year with a hexamid from Zpacks and it worked out fine. I don't believe a hammock would work well and you appear to know the limitations. I've spent a couple of nights in the HMG tent and it's outstanding, if the price isn't a factor that would be my choice. I didn't have any problems being able to use my stakes on the JMT, the existing campsites are generally not a problem from that aspect especially on the section you are planning to hike.
    Ron
    +1
    I would bring the lightest non-hammock shelter you have. Soil is rocky but will take skewer stakes. You can also weigh them down with rocks if it's windy.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Colorado Trail '07 / JMT '12

I also have had a good experience with a polycryo groundsheet. They're very light, and amazingly tough.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Use the smallest lightest tent (with ground cloth of some sort) you can afford. Wouldn't recommend a hammock or a tarp, especially in the high elevations of the Sierra's.
    Others seem to like the idea of tarp (would be Echo II) and the gossamer gear ground cloth. You seem opposed. What's your rationale? If it's wind, I could bring the beak to go with the tarp. Bugs would necessitate the insert, but per others they won't be an issue. Is it the stakes?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    +1
    I would bring the lightest non-hammock shelter you have. Soil is rocky but will take skewer stakes. You can also weigh them down with rocks if it's windy.
    As long as the soil will take the big dig trowel, I'll be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Professor View Post
    That begs two questions:

1) With a tarp the size of the Echo II, do you think I'd need a bivy sack if bugs aren't an issue?

2) Would you use a quilt rather than a bag when tarping it?
    I use the bivy sack more because I cowboy camp if it isn't raining. It allows me to block some wind and stay warmer without having to set the tarp up. You likely won't need one with the Echo II if all you are worried about is rain protection. I have only used a down quilt since 2008 which includes some pretty cold weather. When using one without a bivy sack or hammock, you have to develop a habbit of retucking the sides when you flip over. I have myself trained to do it automatically so I don't have a problem with drafts. Your mileage may vary.

Journal Entries
    Images

So is my Eureka Spitfire ok for the JMT? It's not free standing & needs to be staked out. Thanks
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Do you need Skewer Stakes, or will the round aluminum stakes work ok???????

Journal Entries
    Images

Sorry, what are skewer stakes?
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Sorry, what are skewer stakes?
    like these?
    http://www.stansport.com/index.php/c...tents/821.html

I have only the regular stakes that came with my BA copper spur ul1. Do I need different stakes for the rockier parts of the JMT?

Round alumium stakes will just bend when you hammer them in, so carry extra. I use narrow pointed titanium stakes and have never needed to hammer them in with a rock and never bent one. If I hit a rock, I move it an inch or so over and usually it goes right in.

However, I have camped on giant flat rock slabs on occasion as it was the flatest spot available (ie. the groud was full of pointed rocks which would suck to sleep on). Obviously, you wont be able to use stakes there. But using very large rocks in the corners of your tent to hold it will usually work.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Susan "Hammock Hanger", a member here, did the JMT last August with her hammock and only went to ground twice and only because she was with a group of ground dwellers that chose sites to camp with no trees. She just pitched her tarp with her hiking poles and used her Hennessy as a bevy. Lots of people have used a hammock on the JMT and I will this August.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Professor View Post
    Does anybody think cuben groundcloth + cuben tarp + 20 degree quilt + sleeping pad (no bug protection) would be a bad idea for the JMT in September? I'm a little leary of the quilt option when the temps could (and likely will) drop into the twenties.
    On the contrary, this is a great idea. We brought tents in August last year on concerns of mosquitoes but saw very little and the ones we encountered were during the day. No problems at night. We ended up cowboy camping about half the time. My sons used 20 degree Enlightened Equipment quilts and I used a Jacks R Better Sierra Sniveller (25-35 F). We were never close to being cold at night despite one or two nights in the low 30's and frost on the quilts, and I'm a cold sleeper. I find quilts to be warmer than sleeping bags for me, as they conform more to my position than does a bag and my sons liked them as well (11 and 14 yrs old). Just keep the sides of the quilt such that you don't have spaces for the cold air to get underneath (not too difficult, and I generally toss around a lot when I sleep).

One thing you should count on is rain. You may not have any, but if you do you'll want to be familiar with how to set up the tarp properly and selection of sites to set up. We had 4 consecutive days of heavy thunderstorms.

Images

Thanks again to all of you.

As of today, I'm planning on bringing the Echo II tarp, the gossamer gear ground sheet, and the Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20 degree quilt. I'm planning to not bring the beak or a bivy.

Advantages: weight, campsite flexibility.

Disadvantages: less bug and wind protection than other options; of those, the later seems to be a greater concern.

One last question: Does anybody have any ground pad advice for me? Is there some particular pad that people feel is more comfortable and/or warmer?

I have been quite happy with my Therm-A-Rest NeoAir pad. I like the light weight and the ~2+ inches of thickness for the comfort. Some have reported problems with leaks, but I haven't personally experienced this.

Images

Thanks;

I just dug this link up from Mags: http://www.pmags.com/sleepings-pads-a-grounded-view

I've got a lot to think through. I hate extra weight and don't mind spending $ for comfort. I sleep on my side and am usually not all that comfortable on the ground.

I'm currently thinking of something like the ExPed UL 7....

How noisy is your NeoAir pad?

IMHO, you're asking the right questions and making fair comparisons! I don't say that very often. Yeah you can hammock especially in the northern half just got to, as always, be mindful of weather and where it's appropriate to hang(BL said it - hike high camp low if suspecting nasty weather). A hammock on the JMT does somewhat limit your potential camping choices in foul weather but good news is that the JMT has some of the fairest weather for its elevation for any trail in the world. Got to plan where you'll camp at some pt if sleeping in the hammock and weather is rainy or LIGHTLY snowing. Little forethought and a hammock is definitely doable. Weather is generally amenable on the JMT up to about Oct. After Mid Oct anything can happen weather wise. In 3 JMT thrus(one SOBO July, one SOBO Sept, one finishing up the third wk of Oct(flip flopped, don't ask) and 1 SHR thru(finished up NOBO third wk Oct, got dumped on twice during that thru, F*&^ing beautiful out there at that time of the yr though!) I've cowboyed in a UL Mountain Laurel Designs Superlight bivy 90 % of the nights. Under a cuben or spinnaker tarp the rest of those times. My JMT kit is much like Miners. In addition when going through the Sierras on my PCT thru in mid June only set my tarp up once. Mid Sept starts getting colder and with a greater possabilty each succeeding day some light pow but even if you do get some in mid sept it'll probably burn off that day. Good chance you'll get some light rime and ice though(on gear, plants, rocks, maybe surface of tarns). As fair as the weather can be in the Sierras for the elevation during late july to late Sept it's NOT a place to leave insulation, rain jacket, possibly rain pants home especially when you start getting deep into Sept! take a Ul rain jacket that doubles as your wind jacket. Take a vest or insulating jacket.

As Qiwiz said, Stakes or rocks are fine for JMT shelters too. Not all the ground is rock! Bring peg, Al MSR Groundhogs heavier Ti Skewers, or Ti Vargo stakes if concerned.

*Does anybody think cuben groundcloth + cuben tarp + 20 degree quilt + sleeping pad (no bug protection) would be a bad idea for the JMT in September?"

BINGO! Money Zone! Was gonna tell ya to leave HMG's Echo II bug insert home for a mid Sept JMT hike. NOT needed FOR BUGS in Sept! That'll save ya some ozs(like 14-15)! Take the beak though. Nice to have the beak for the JMT in Mid sept just in case. Wt penalty isn't all that great either for the extra protection especially if you roll with the 20* quilt. That HMG ECHO(I or II) shelter is IMO in the JMT MONEY ZONE. two mid sized people, bit a Ul lower volume gear under the echo II tarp, and pitching low and you shouldn't need bivy sacks to go along with the Echo II.

Don't want any of the extra considerations with the hammocks and HMG Echo II having to have the security that you think enclosed in a piece fabric might entail and don't mind paying the price in a few ozs take a tent/tarptent shelter.

"I'm a little leary of the quilt option when the temps could (and likely will) drop into the twenties."

That's your call. Base it on how you sleep, your knowledge of using a quilt in sub 30* temps, the rest of your kit, etc

Pad, I go with the old Thermarest Shortie Prolite 3 and now in the last few yrs a Neo Air Shortie. If doing a quilt in mid Sept on the Jmt under a tarp or cowboying I roll with a 66" long X 20"womens Neo Air. I'm 6'4" and when using a quilt and it starts getting near 30*and below I switch to a warmer and longer Neo Air and/or add a 1/4-3/8 CCF pad to the mix when it regularly drops to 20*. I only got about 120 nights with my 20* down quilt though so am still ironing things out. ie; I toss and turn and side sleep. i like Enlightened Equipment and JRB quilts. I got a EE Prodigy 50* synthetic on order from Tim.
    If doing it the cowboy way bring along a Tyvek ground sheet. Don't sweat the Polycro or Cuben wt savings. Not all that big anyhow. Take the extra abrasion resistance and durability of the Tyvek. Don't particularly like a cuben groundsheet for the JMT. It might limit my campsite choices. I like sleeping on slabs, ridges and summits.

How ya getting out at Muir Trail Ranch? As you might have noted by my JMT adventures Sept and early Oct perhaps getting into late Oct are some of my favorite times to be in the Sierras. Love it there.

Dr Professor: I've never really thought of my NeoAir as being noisy - nothing bothersome. I also am a side-sleeper, and I really like the comfort.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++