WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default How to get to CDT cheaply?

Trying to figure how we are going to get from NH to Glacier Natl Part, northern CDT terminus. All mediums are pretty expensive - cheapest being over 3 days on greyhound. All thoughts, comments, advice and contacts will be helpful.
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

Quote Originally Posted by Blister
    Trying to figure how we are going to get from NH to Glacier Natl Part, northern CDT terminus. All mediums are pretty expensive - cheapest being over 3 days on greyhound. All thoughts, comments, advice and contacts will be helpful.
    hitch with a trucker

Maybe you can put together a chain of whiteblaze members to relay you to the CDT.

Images

Getting to the CDT for me is pretty cheap. I'm flying from Seattle to Calgary on Horizon for something like $125. I've got friends there who are going to give me a lift down to Waterton. A flight from NH to Calgary might be pricey, though. From Calgary, you can hop a greyhound down to Pincher Creek which is a little bit outside the park. From Pincher Creek, either hitch to the park or there is a shuttle. Or, at least, there is supposed to be one.

There is supposed to be train travel to Glacier, and this is how many people end up getting there. You still have to make the border from there.

Default Amtrak to Glacier

There is supposed to be train travel to Glacier, and this is how many people end up getting there. You still have to make the border from there.[/QUOTE]================================================== ===========
    Amtrak has a daily train called the Empire Builder that stops three places: East Glacier, Essex, and West Glacier, all in Montana. One or more of these stops may be summer-only. Go to www.amtrak.com for fares and schedules.

Amtrak is also useful in accessing the AT at: Gainesville GA, Charlottesville VA, Harpers Ferry WV, Harrisburg PA, White River Junction VT and Portland ME (well, that one's a stretch).

However, the Bush administration is doing its best to eliminate funding for Amtrak. It would be good to call your congressperson and senators in support of Amtrak funding. Losing train service will just make things more difficult for hikers.

Tom Hoffman

American Idiot
    Images

Good luck getting transportation that's cheap and convenient. If you don't want to lump for a ride, you could always try your hand on the freight train.
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

Blister you dicided to do the CDT? I thougt you might be a SOBO. Figure up the cost maybe we can all send ya 20 bucks. New slogan in place of "get er done"
    we'll say "get her there"...

I know it sounds horrorible but a three day bus ride isn't all that bad, and $109 for a 7 day advance ticket is tough to beat. They can actually be fun.

You'll want to go from Hanover to Whitefish, MT and then take Amtrak back to East Glacier. From there find a ride (or hitch) to Two Medicene Ranger Station to get your backcountry permit. It'll probably be easiest to start at Chief Mountain (hitch) but check into the shuttle from the Lodge if you want to start at Waterton Lake and Goat Haunt. If you do the later you'll need a drivers license AND a birth certificate OR a valid US passport.

If you do take Greyhound make sure to take your pack at every transfer and watch it diligently at EVERY stop.

Wish I were going...

Although East Glacier is a tough town to get to, it is still one or the best trail towns there is! I agree with Sly that Greyhound is probably your best bet. But, i'm not so sure about the "Fun" part.
    Once you get to E. Glacier, look up a guy named Mark. He owns the swan something hotel and also the small diner near the center of town. He has hiked the AT and is a real trail angel. He may help you find a ride up to start the trail. I would highly recommend trying to start at Waterton vs. the Chief Mt. customs station. One is in the woods and the other is perhaps the most majestic view on all 3 trails. (if not from the lake itself, along the route that you would miss if you take the shorter, easier route.)
    Glad to hear you are finally goin for it Blister! You know, when Mr. Miz and I finished in 98, we couldn't figure out how to get back home so we ended up buying a car for $500 and driving it to Seattle, Portland,OR and then home. I'd join the CDT-L if i were you and post questions there. Good luck! and I know you'll have fun. Go do-badders once again! fh

Default Take the train

The price you get from Amtrack depends a lot on who you talk to, at least that used to be the case. Call 3x, get 3 different qoutes. You can reserve with just your name. Ask about specials as they often have them, but don't go out of their way to tell you. They have these neat old shuttles, once you get there that will take you to Two Medicine and Waterton, if a ride doesn't work out. I prefer the actual divide to the CDT in the northern park although that does require a 5m road walk once yall get to Logan Pass. BTW- great bar in St. Marys called Kips. Be careful with rides, some of the real natives still hold a grudge.

Images

ALL Your information is being quite helpful to me. I have decided to probablly opt for the Chief Mountain Route since it will avoid me having to fork out the money right now for a passport to re-enter the US from Waterton. According to the guide books it is still a decent trail to start with, or at least it sounds interesting. Rainman has already backed out on me - oh well. I am gonna go back to my plan of 800-1000 miles and have fun doing it in the Do-badder tradition. (Blue blazin hiker trash, meets a do-badder - meets Billville red blazer in one hike on the CDT) I've been like a kid in a candy store with the maps. Hopefully getting more maps today on CD in the mail. I'm pretty stoked!!!! Will also dtry to decide by the end of the day what ticket to purchase for transit. Keep any thoughtful insights coming, I'm a sponge!
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

We've done both routes, and while 50 Mountain is more spectacular, the Chief Mountain route is also beautiful (especially if you're heading south) and has the advantage of less snow this time of year. Of course, there is always the question of which route the rangers give you, which may or may not be the one you ask for.

If you take the bus, you can get off at Shelby MT and pick up the train there, instead of going to Whitefish and backtracking. It will save some time.

You need a pasport for Canada now? Think they only cost 10 bucks but take a few weeks. I'll be sure to give Rainman hell but I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless.

Have been following your "plans," if you can call them that, and can only ask, "are you drunk all the time now?" But seriously, let me know where you'll be when, so I can send you some goodies. Good luck and keep in touch!

I think you are way off on the cost of a passport - see http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html but the way I read it is that the cost is $97

Images

The price for a passport will increase in the amount of time that you need it. For me to get one in 1 week it will be over 100 dollars. Different locations - different agencies have different prices. I have enough to think about than running around hoping the passport will get here time. And Jester no - I am actually quite sober, compared to you I'll leave a message on your machine before I leave and will post my few maildrops somewhere on here, maybe uder trip reports. I really have appreciated the wisdom sent forth in my direction.
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker

If you take the bus, you can get off at Shelby MT and pick up the train there, instead of going to Whitefish and backtracking. It will save some time.
    I'm not sure the bus goes to Shelby any more, it doesn't appear so on the Greyhound website. Not to worry, you'll see more of Montana this way.

BTW, you don't absolutely need a passport on re-entering the US from Canada yet, but by 2008 you will. What you do need, unless you want to be interrogated, is a drivers license AND a birth certificate.

Blister, glad to hear you're going anyway. You're gonna love it. Do you have bear spray? if not, order some from our website and tell George to give you my discount. (20%) Chances are you won't need it but it's a great thing to have for "piece of mind" Try to go through the Ptarmigan tunnel if it's open yet. You'll have to ask at the permit station. It's one of the best views of the whole trail even though it's not on the so called "official cdt" (whatever that means) fh
    ps. Did you hear that Amy is getting married?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead
    Blister, glad to hear you're going anyway. You're gonna love it. Do you have bear spray? if not, order some from our website and tell George to give you my discount. (20%) Chances are you won't need it but it's a great thing to have for "piece of mind" Try to go through the Ptarmigan tunnel if it's open yet. You'll have to ask at the permit station. It's one of the best views of the whole trail even though it's not on the so called "official cdt" (whatever that means) fh
    ps. Did you hear that Amy is getting married?
    Note that you are not suppoed to cross into Canada from the US with bear spray. Once in Canada, you can buy the big bear spray cans (not the small, personal defence ones).

Images

Hey guys!
    Well I have the transportation. My first Amtrack experience. My departure date from White River Junction, VT is on the 15th and arriving after various train changes in East Glacier the night of the 17th. Great advice by the way to call amtrack numerous times - I recieved numerous quotes as well as numerous and outrageous stop overs. Finally I had a woman that worked with me on a discount and no overnight layovers. My biggest layover will be 1 1/2 hours. I have been pouring over all the maps and guide books getting together a tentative itinerary which I will post. You all realize what happens to the itinerary once on the trail? FH - great movie on Nepal!!!! I believe there was a bit about burning your itinerary in the video. I still havn't seeen the one Rainman did on the Grand Canyon. Probablly this weekend. Rainman has agreed to do my maildrops for me - SWEET!
    Anyways I was hoping on picking up the bear spray in East Glacier, there has got to be a way ro sneak it in with my gear if I choose the high route. I'll decide on that today and give George a call. I love his new business cards. Amy getting married, that's cool.
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++