WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Rules! View Post
    Having driven in Wilmington, I can vouch for that.
    Must be those NASCAR roots.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

"I'm not an athlete. I'm a professional baseball player." - John Kruk

Same here. "I'm not an athlete. I'm a hiker"
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

i thought a sport keeps score and has winners and losers. many do keep score; lightest pack, most miles, fastest mile, most trails hiked etc. so for some it is a sport in their mind.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

A lot of great stuff here. It's so difficult to classify IMO. Hadn't really considered a sport needing rules and a score but that makes sense. I would agree with folks who are saying that backpackers are athletes. I can think of A LOT of other activities which are classified as sports that take a lot less physical skill than hiking and backpacking. You can reach a level of stardom if you accomplish major feats such as the triple crown or some massive hike like Andrew Skurka has done.

Journal Entries

Backpacking is a activity, a sport indicated some competition, if backpacking becomes a sport to a person it is no longer backpacking and something is lost in the process.

I have always taken the word athlete as meaning Athens' elite (meaning those who enter the original Olympics), I have no idea of that is true, nor do I suspect it to be, but I feel the spirit of the meaning is, it is someone who does it to a level that Zeus after seeing the person's desire and engagement and devotion and excelling in it would be proud of.

Peace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stuthetraveler View Post
    You can reach a level of stardom if you accomplish major feats such as the triple crown or some massive hike like Andrew Skurka has done.
    I suspect Andrew would love to get paid what other SPORTS athletes make.

Images

sport (v.) c.1400, "to take pleasure, to amuse oneself," from Anglo-French disport, Old French desport "pastime, recreation, pleasure," from desporter "to divert, amuse, please, play" (see disport). Sense of "to amuse oneself by active exercise in open air or taking part in some game" is from late 15c. Meaning "to wear" is from 1778. Related: Sported; sporting.sport (n.) mid-15c., "pleasant pastime," from sport (v.). Meaning "game involving physical exercise" first recorded 1520s. Original sense preserved in phrases such as in sport "in jest" (mid-15c.). Sense of "stylish man" is from 1861, American English, probably because they lived by gambling and betting on races. Meaning "good fellow" is attested from 1881 (e.g. be a sport, 1913). Sport as a familiar form of address to a man is from 1935, Australian English. The sport of kings was originally (1660s) war-making.

methinks maybe so

Hiking is like drinking. It's not a sport it's an art form.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    sport (v.) c.1400, "to take pleasure, to amuse oneself," from Anglo-French disport, Old French desport "pastime, recreation, pleasure," from desporter "to divert, amuse, please, play" (see disport). Sense of "to amuse oneself by active exercise in open air or taking part in some game" is from late 15c. Meaning "to wear" is from 1778. Related: Sported; sporting.sport (n.) mid-15c., "pleasant pastime," from sport (v.). Meaning "game involving physical exercise" first recorded 1520s. Original sense preserved in phrases such as in sport "in jest" (mid-15c.). Sense of "stylish man" is from 1861, American English, probably because they lived by gambling and betting on races. Meaning "good fellow" is attested from 1881 (e.g. be a sport, 1913). Sport as a familiar form of address to a man is from 1935, Australian English. The sport of kings was originally (1660s) war-making.

methinks maybe so
    Yup any physical entertainment is a sport. No need for rules or competition. Participation in a sport does not necessarily make one an athlete.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I should add that while I'm very athletic I don't like to think of myself as an athlete. I hate jocks

Images

I guess by the technical definition of a sport above it may be a sport, but to me it is an activity. You don't really have to be an athlete or even athletic to do it. You do have to have some will power and determination to complete a tough hike.

Journal Entries

I think if you want to race down the trail to be the fastest thru-hiker then do it, but don't push me off the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Rules! View Post
    Not trying to be a smarta$$, but who really cares about semantics?

Do you enjoy it? Yes? Do it. No? Don't.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Images

This just in from ESPN - final score, "slow walker" 23, "shelter dweller" 12 ... Apparently it's a sport. You gain points for LNT, keeping your gear opinions to yourself (unless asked), keeping wildlife out of your food supply, and letting your "competition" do what works for them. Basically, the one who can enjoy the trail and mind their own business wins!
    Biggie

Sure, it sells t shirts, makes the muscles sore and makes you sweat, you compete against mother nature's clock, has it's legends, and you drink sports drinks. The only difference is- our playing field is bigger-much bigger.

Images

Not a sport. In my opinion, a sport requires an offense and defense with each having the ability to influence the outcome. Both a sport and competition will have a declared winner, but a competition lacks the ability to directly influence theperformance of participants or teams (no offense or defense). Track, weight-lifting, and swimming are competitions not sports. By this definition NASCAR is a sport, (a racing teammate can block a competitor that can influence the outcome of the event.). Golf is a competition not a sport. Backpacking is an activity that some will turn into a competition. I'm running for cover.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

You can reach a level of stardom if you accomplish major feats such as the triple crown .
    It ain't that hard or special.

And believe me, I still have to put up with a day job I barely tolerate so I can go hiking again.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I want everyone's opinion on here about this question? I posted an article to my blog discussing this: http://stuthetraveler.com/stuthetraveler/ Should it or should it not be considered a sport? We've got UL hikers, speed hikers, thru-hikers, etc. Are they athletes?
    Last year, "Planking" was considered a sport... (you know, the ridiculous idea of lying down flat as a board in a weird place and having someone photograph it for facebook)

If lying on a rock flat is a sport, backpacking definitely fits the bill.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Backpacking is not a sport....Sports have winners and losers and are competative. Backpacking is a way of life if you ask me. Unless of course I could get paid millions of dollars a year to thru hike. If that is the case, I would just hike for the rest of my life

Images

It's not a sport, it's an addiction! The more you do it you just want more! At points risking your life for one more fix. Rational friends ask why? & you can't explain it to them. Hundreds of dollars spent for a good fix. Maybe a higher down loft, or lighter titanium piece of gear, all for the fix. But the high you get: perched on a mountaintop in the southern Apps Watching the mist burn off in the valleys below that make you feel like you our on an Island in the clouds. Or counting the shooting stars at night out west to put you to sleep. Or to hike just one more pass to see what lies beyond. I'm addicted & if they find a cure...PLEASE DON'T TELL ME!
    Last edited by Mountain Mike; 01-23-2013 at 06:32.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    It's not a sport, it's an addiction! The more you do it you just want more! At points risking your life for one more fix. Rational friends ask why? & you can't explain it to them. Hundreds of dollars spent for a good fix. Maybe a higher down loft, or lighter titanium piece of gear, all for the fix. But the high you get: perched on a mountaintop in the southern Apps Watching the mist burn off in the valleys below that make you feel like you our on an Island in the clouds. Or counting the shooting stars at night out west to put you to sleep. Or to hike just one more pass to see what lies beyond. I'm addicted & if they find a cure...PLEASE DON'T TELL ME!
    Amen brother mike!!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++