WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    I don't smoke, but if someone is sharing peanut butter cookies, well that's a different road to walk down.
    I would say that of those 97%, they would offer you the weed before they offer their peanut butter cookies.................just sayin'

Images

Well, I heard that a hiker from Denver thru hiked last year and planted weed from GA to ME

Regardless of the state laws, from what I heard there will be plenty for those that wish to partake.

But it gets better. he supposidly met a guy from the show MOONSHINER'S that setup stills, yup, also from GA to ME with AYCD&C spots .........(All You Can Drink & Carry) moonshine stands..........

2013 could prove to be an interesting year

More ZERO days than in recorded history

Q

Avoid shelters = avoid problems

That's a pretty rock solid AT rule

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Would not need near as many of them if we still made prisoners work. They also could be generating money from the prison labor, instead of costing tax payers money.
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/44762286/Bill...rison_Industry

Not to be argumentative, but in the United States, prisoners always work and make billions for corporations.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    Avoid shelters = avoid problems

That's a pretty rock solid AT rule
    Agree.

But nobody stays at the shelters anymore, they're too crowded.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

" We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation" P85 BB

Well whatever was planted last year is dead now...

A lot of folks don't know this but if you walk about 300 yds behind every AT shelter you will find a moonshiner's still, a few empty cups, and a old tin coffee can to leave tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Agree.

But nobody stays at the shelters anymore, they're too crowded.
    Now That's funny!...gotta love that good American mind set.

Unless you're a recovering addict/alcoholic, I would spend your time worrying about other things...just sayin

In reality the problems with alcohol and drugs are not really a huge problem on the trail. Like anywhere else in the USA if you go looking for it you will probably find it if you wanted. I find more problems with the drinkers who trash campsites with empty beer cans.

Quote Originally Posted by EriKelly View Post
    97% of hikers have at least smoked before so they are much more tolerant to the fact and dont discriminate against it
    Not quite sure its that high. We can certainly hope

I really think discretion is important. It is still illegal and we really cannot overlook that fact. If you get caught, thats the chance you take. I also find that there are lots of woods out there. Its also just good to exercise common sense. Dont be a jerk about it and be respectful of each other. If you have a problem with it, say respectfully, that it bothers you. Same for smokers, if you are going to stay in shelters, do not smoke inside the shelters. Do it off in the woods and save yourself the trouble of confrontation. If you dont like it, there are tons of woods and plenty of tent platforms and campsites. Some in really beautiful places where you can do as you please because you will be alone. Weekenders love the tentsites. There are some sweet camp spots in the woods up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosaphone View Post
    It kind of blew my mind a bit when I realized prisons are businesses.
    you should read up on privatized prisons...horrifying business procedures, i researched them all last semester, just sickening.

as for drugs and alcohol, most people are unwilling to carry alcohol too far, most likely if someone wants to smoke weed they will ask if its ok, or head out into the woods, if they ask just say youd prefer not.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    well it seems that 97% of the country are potheads, im sure a very accurate stat.
    i think the younger, the more tolerant of weed. but i would say more than half of hikers over age 45 do not smoke and are less tolerant.
    ive found most users to be discreet, and its another reason anyway not to stay at shelters.you run into it, you dont like it, just keep moving on
    I don't, but I did back in the day - and I may well turn 60 on the trail. My birthday is in early October, so maybe not. But please don't put me in the category of "less tolerant" with respect to weed use. Raging drunks I have no use for, but weed smokers don't bother me.

Heck, I went to Michigan State, and for part of the time there, it was a $5 fine - it was impossible to have parents visit and not smell it in the dorms.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

It's amazing how many boomers that had hippie habits back in the day have turned into raving prohibitionists, and law&order freaks. "It was all right for me, but these kids need to learn that times are different now!"

Me? I'll smell pot, think, "shucks, none for me!" and move on.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I had a problem with drugs and alcohol the last time i hiked on the AT.
    I couldnt find either!

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    It's amazing how many boomers that had hippie habits back in the day have turned into raving prohibitionists, and law&order freaks. "It was all right for me, but these kids need to learn that times are different now!"

Me? I'll smell pot, think, "shucks, none for me!" and move on.
    Yep. Agreed.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by quilteresq View Post
    I don't, but I did back in the day - and I may well turn 60 on the trail. My birthday is in early October, so maybe not. But please don't put me in the category of "less tolerant" with respect to weed use. Raging drunks I have no use for, but weed smokers don't bother me.

Heck, I went to Michigan State, and for part of the time there, it was a $5 fine - it was impossible to have parents visit and not smell it in the dorms.
    oh ive met quite a few of us older folks that either still partake or did and have no problem with it.
    listn if you're not being a selfish idiot,youre probably going to get along with everyonejust fine. theres a few jerks in both extremes, both the self centered oblivious to osomeone elses feelings crowd or the self righteous intolerant of everything they dont agree with crowd.but ive always found the mood at shelters and sites to be generally mutually respectful.

Default boozing it up

I don't do drugs(anymore), but I occasionally take a little nip of good bourbon. Oh, and I also do not drink coffee(or caffeine in general) as it does not go well with my ADHD.

Has anybody considered that the OP was either trolling or hoping to hear that weed and booze would be readily available? Lots of good answers, by and large the AT community is one of the most tolerant groups of people you'll meet... and shelters are great when it's raining or snowing- just get there early!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++