WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Paracord

Default Paracord

For bear bags, What is the length of Paracord most people purchase? and Where is a good place to purchase it?

hello red runner I use about 60 feet ( In case I need to fix something) and you can get it at outfitters, wallyworld has some of it to but I do not like it hope this will help joe cool

Quote Originally Posted by RedRunnerJumper View Post
    For bear bags, What is the length of Paracord most people purchase? and Where is a good place to purchase it?
    You will find that most don't hang a bear bag. The following video explains it well. I deviate from him in the following manners. I tied a monkey-fist knot and attached to my 50' of paracord. This removes the need for a rock. It is more mass than weight that is needed. Also, the other end can be tied to the bear bag while throwing the monkey-fist. Where you buy it is not as important as the type. There may be a temptation to get ultra-thin nylon. Don't do it. It tangles too easily. Also, a bright color is useful. I bought mine a Reny's. That is a local version of Wal*Mart. Actually Reny's was around before Wal*Mart. But that is another story.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Your bear bag should hang between 3-4 metres off the ground, and the length of 550 needed will vary with the height of the surrounding trees. 10 metres is the least you should carry for bagging. I would recommend more though, as you will find that it is useful in many other ways. I carry 40-50, and have been glad of the extra length many times.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    You will find that most don't hang a bear bag.

What then do most people do?

Quote Originally Posted by Fur Queue View Post
    What then do most people do?
    Most don't. You would have to ask them. Some may be still stinging from the last debate. I know I am not going to start it.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Some people sleep with their food. It's an ongoing discussion.

Also, it's argued that paracord isn't the way to go: too heavy. I've got 50 feet of Dyneema cord from Zpacks.

50 feet is plenty. You can order it online, get it at an outfitter or military surplus store. It's pretty cheap no matter where you get it.

Ya not quite sure what I will get exactly, but I will keep my eyes open. Didnt see anything at EMS will check REI sometime, maybe they have some type of paracord...

Most don't. You would have to ask them. Some may be still stinging from the last debate. I know I am not going to start it.
    Im not interested in debate and I'm not interested in anyone who tells someone else what is right or wrong....I'm interested in people's experience and knowledge and what works for them and I will chew it all over and make my choices!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRunnerJumper View Post
    Ya not quite sure what I will get exactly, but I will keep my eyes open. Didnt see anything at EMS will check REI sometime, maybe they have some type of paracord...
    Try not to over think this one. You don't need to go to LLBean for a toothbrush and you don't need space-age twine. If you are inclined to hang a bear bag, paracord at Wally World is fine. It comes in 50' lengths and a few different colors. It doesn't come with a lifetime guarantee, but you can buy a lifetime supply for what you would pay at rei. Rei is a great store... for tent, packs, etc.

Im not interested in debate and I'm not interested in anyone who tells someone else what is right or wrong....I'm interested in people's experience and knowledge and what works for them and I will chew it all over and make my choices!
    Me too. I am not pleased with the last debate. I think I could have said a couple of things better. I do not want to be the bear bag police, but some took my words that way. Do a search on this site. You will find plenty of opinions. I don't mean to be evasive. I would love to state my opinion again. But, like I said, I am not starting or contributing to this debate again.

Me too. I am not pleased with the last debate. I think I could have said a couple of things better. I do not want to be the bear bag police, but some took my words that way. Do a search on this site. You will find plenty of opinions. I don't mean to be evasive. I would love to state my opinion again. But, like I said, I am not starting or contributing to this debate again.
    I understand...I will do a search later. I will have my teenage boy with me...and possibly two of his friends...so safety is paramount for me...I have to bring them all home to Momma! If something goes wrong I'd prefer if it wasn't because of a poor decision on my part!

Dyneema is angling braided line! Not sure what zpacks sells it for but you can get 150 yards of Power Pro 100lb test for twenty five bucks at Wallyworld....enough to kit out a bus load of hikers....be nasty if you get a tangle though....your bag maybe staying up in the tree!

Images

I use 50ft. The video posted by Fur is pretty good.
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by tds1195 View Post
    I use 50ft. The video posted by Fur is pretty good.
    Actually that was me that posted the video. I do so many stupid things on this site, I should get credit when I do a good one.

be nasty if you get a tangle though....your bag maybe staying up in the tree!
    You could always cut the tree down. If you do, be sure to carve your name in the stump. See... there I go again... saying something stupid.

Images

Actually that was me that posted the video. I do so many stupid things on this site, I should get credit when I do a good one.
    My bad BirdBrain! Props to you
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

You could always cut the tree down. If you do, be sure to carve your name in the stump. See... there I go again... saying something stupid.
    You're funny... I like you!!

And another thru-hiker specific thread goes to the clowns.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    You're funny... I like you!!
    I'm having a flashback.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++