WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    i went the site and i kind of doubt he will make.
    No kidding.

Without "judging" him or his abilities all I need to do it look at the weather window of opportunity. If it were to be a true Yo-Yo (completing the three trails before reversing order) he'd be starting the second of the western trails no earlier than September, and would have to do that again immediately after.

Most hikers are off the PCT or CDT by October, and not about to start a Yo-Yo of even one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    triple yo yo crown, okay?could we get back to judging him even though we dont have any information?its what we do best
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    I kind of like the double/triple semantics argument better then judging his abilities.
    With the level of talent around here, I'm sure we can accomplish both the semantics argument and judging him at the same time. Hell, on a good day we could probably combine the two.

if he runs out of supplies he will be able to shoot with his gun, stab with his knife or asphyxiate with his cigs pretty much anyone or anything! I say he makes it.
    Gradual Change You Can Believe in.

Live deliberately.

Images

Glad to see politics are still banned on WB unless you're whining about that pesky 2nd Amendment.

If that gun goes off he will lose that leg
    Posing like that in NY or NJ could be problematic or is it only a problem if the gun is concealed in NY.
    At any rate I like his RAMBO look!
    Or is he the new Marlboro Man?
    He could also be the new "fun and gun dude".
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    met a guy in maine named shelter stu, had a guitar and his retriever, said as of september 1st hed be on the trail for a full year(give or tke a few off days ) had lost his job, decided he wanted to do the atand really didnt care at all how long it ould take. he ws just loving life on the trail.
    maybe all this guy wants to do is enjoy trail life for a year or few
    I met shelter stu at old orchard shelter at the end of june this year,. Great guy, told me same thing about being out since september. Had one hell of a big pack on his back.

Almost any AT thru-hiker could yo-yo the triple crown. After all, "Everywhere is in walking distance...if you have the time."

With an early start, AT can be yo-yoed in a year. Find some seasonal work on the Mexican Border for two winters, and that takes care of the CDT and PCT over a span of 4 years. Unless you are a Scott Williamson, you are not going to yo-yo the CDT or PCT in a single year.

what is the time frame? 2 years? would be possible to do it less thats for sure. in most years the PCT or CDT yo yo is with in the reach of many hikers. you would only have to average 25 miles per day to get it done. either way he is going to be at the mercy of mother nature!!!!!!
    **** the impossible

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Hmm...the gear looks interesting.

775007_415388748538238_1125874185_o.jpg

COmplete with blue tarp and gear precariously strapped to a bike. Reminds me of some locals here in town...

Wish the guy luck. The AT is pretty forgiving overall for someone not prepared vs other trails. MAybe he can learn and adjust along the way.

OTOH, the wave of people attempting these over-the-top feats has begun.

Tis the season! Grab the popcorn....
    Last edited by Mags; 01-24-2013 at 10:58.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

It would make a huge difference whether this is a true yo yo of the Triple Crown or a yo yo of each trail. A yo yo of the triple crown would be a much bigger challenge since you pretty much have to do it with the AT last and then first on the return. I spent a lot of time talking through different scenarios with Swami as he was finishing his record breaking triple crown hike, he hiked the three trails in 236 days. To turn around and head back you would have to be very flexible with weather on the AT, finish early then run like heck down the other two trails. Keep in mind that even a single Calender Year Triple Crown is hard. Know nothing about this guy but look at the experience that Swami had prior to getting on the PCT for the Triple Crown.

As far as three yo yos. The AT is straight-forward. I would think this would be the first anyone would do. If this isn't fairly easy then the other two trails would be much harder due to the shorter window. The other two require that the hiker has his act together AND a bit of weather luck. Good luck to him, with the exception of Swami we haven't had anyone recently that was able to walk the walk with respect to this "ultra-thru" hikes and the funny thing was that Swami never did talk the talk prior or even after his hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky 2 View Post
    in most years the PCT or CDT yo yo is with in the reach of many hikers. you would only have to average 25 miles per day to get it done. either way he is going to be at the mercy of mother nature!!!!!!
    Yeah, the PCT, or the CDT, but all three? You're one of a handful of hikers I'd say has an outside chance of such a feat.

Quote Originally Posted by gg-man View Post
    It would make a huge difference whether this is a true yo yo of the Triple Crown or a yo yo of each trail. A yo yo of the triple crown would be a much bigger challenge since you pretty much have to do it with the AT last and then first on the return.
    I would think a Triple Crown Yo-Yo to be hiking all three trails once, then reversing your steps. It appears the AT is first on his list. Of course, if he plans on hiking with the weather and taking the winters off, his chances go up tremendously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    Posing like that in NY or NJ could be problematic or is it only a problem if the gun is concealed in NY.
    At any rate I like his RAMBO look!
    Or is he the new Marlboro Man?
    He could also be the new "fun and gun dude".
    If that gun goes off he might lose more than a leg. Just another hiker wannabe like me.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Keep talking about him folks. You'll make him famous and increase his web traffic. He'll have trail angels following him at least as far as he makes it.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I would think a Triple Crown Yo-Yo to be hiking all three trails once, then reversing your steps. It appears the AT is first on his list. Of course, if he plans on hiking with the weather and taking the winters off, his chances go up tremendously.
    Agree on your definition of yo-yo. With that definition then he could hike, AT/CDT/PCT then take the winter off and reroute. The only way I know of that you could possible go relatively continuously is to do PCT/CDT/AT/AT/CDT/PCT. OF the three trails the AT is the only one that you could do significant distance in the winter and even the you would be throttled back when you hit New England early unless you had incredibly fortunate weather.

A very strong hiker could possibly do an AT yo-yo then a PCT southbound in a year. Take the winter off then start again. I don't see any way that you could do three legs of the PCT and/or CDT in a year so it would end up going over three seasons. You would have to do about 6600 miles (KM north on pct, Nobo CDT and Sobo CDT to New Mexico) between a window of say mid May and maybe mid October. That is 6600 miles in 150 days for an average of 44 miles per day. I believe Swami holds the speed record for the CDT at 74 days with almost a 35mpd average, he stated that he probably went about as full out on that trail as any of his hikes.

A few months ago--after another wasted day at the unemployment office--Dakota Joe was sitting around in his mother's kitchen with a copy of Backpacker when Mom comes in and starts nagging. "When are you going to stop dreaming and do something with your life?" Then, Dakota Joe's uncle forces himself to glance away from the TV and yells, "Why don't you get a job? What's wrong with young people today?" Dakota Joe rolls his eyes and Mom swats him. "Take your uncle a beer and don't be so fresh." About that time Dakota Joe's sister whines, "Mooooom, tell Joey to stop leaving his dirty clothes under the bed. Just because I let him sleep in my floor doesn't mean I want his stink all in the air." And then Dakota Joe's little brother tosses in his two cents. "Joe unplugged my XBox!" Mom says, "Joey? Joey, what am I going to do with you? Now, go on get out of my way". Dakota looks for a friendly face, but even Fido's eyes seem to say 'what's wrong with you?' Dakota Joe takes a deep breath and thinks back to a time when life was good..... In his mind he's back at Camp Scout..... "That's it. I'm outa here. I'll show you all. I'm going to Triple Crown yo-yo the most famous trails in America!" "But Joey, you don't even have a cell phone." "Don't worry Ma, you can follow me on Facebook. I'm going to make something of myself. You'll see."

Maybe he's hoping for a shot on Survivor.
    Last edited by Grammie Bear; 01-25-2013 at 01:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Rules! View Post
    How would it be a triple Double Crown? It's already called the Triple Crown, and he's effectively doing it twice.
    Clearly, this has to be called the Sextuple Crown.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Grammie Bear View Post
    A few months ago--after another wasted day at the unemployment office--Dakota Joe was sitting around in his mother's kitchen with a copy of Backpacker when Mom comes in and starts nagging. "When are you going to stop dreaming and do something with your life?" Then, Dakota Joe's uncle forces himself to glance away from the TV and yells, "Why don't you get a job? What's wrong with young people today?" Dakota Joe rolls his eyes and Mom swats him. "Take your uncle a beer and don't be so fresh." About that time Dakota Joe's sister whines, "Mooooom, tell Joey to stop leaving his dirty clothes under the bed. Just because I let him sleep in my floor doesn't mean I want his stink all in the air." And then Dakota Joe's little brother tosses in his two cents. "Joe unplugged my XBox!" Mom says, "Joey? Joey, what am going to do with you? Now, go on get out of my way". Dakota looks for a friendly face, but even Fido's eyes seem to say 'What's wrong with you?' Dakota Joe takes a deep breath and thinks back to a time when life was good..... In his mind he's back at Camp Scout..... "That's it. I'm outa here. I'll show you all. I'm going to Triple Crown yo-yo the most famous trails in America!" "But Joey, you don't even have a cell phone." "Don't worry Ma, you can follow me on Facebook. I'm going to make something of myself. You'll see."

Maybe he's hoping for a shot on Survivor.
    perfect! i like his style, hey why not give it a shot, ya only live once! dakota joe!

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    If that gun goes off he might lose more than a leg. Just another hiker wannabe like me.
    Sorry to derail, but guns do not "go off" unless the trigger is pulled. Of course, if he's "mexican carrying" without a holster, there's a good chance that the trigger snags on something as he draws or "holsters" it, and it could discharge. But that would be a negligent discharge as a result of him being an idiot.

When you hear the news say "the gun went off", they are just trying to make the person look less like the idiot they are. There is no such thing as an accident when it comes to guns - only people being negligent and stupid.

Subscribing to thread....this is great

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++