WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Sheltowee vs. Allegehny

I'm planning my next hike and was considering either the Sheltowee or Allegheny trail and was looking for pros and cons of each.

There are a few threads about both here and I've read through them but was wondering if anyone who had experience with either or both could chime in with critiques and suggestions about thru hiking these trails.

Traildust posted here a year ago on WB about the Sheltowee Trail

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...eational-Trail

10-K

they sell a Sheltowee Trace thru-hiker manual for $15 at their website, written by Scot Ward. (Another great benefit of being on WB, I had never heard of the Sheltowee Trail, turns out the state of Kentucky has their own version of Vermont's Long Trail.)
    thanks for the tip

http://www.sheltoweetrace.org/Trading_Post.html

Images

the ST has been extended another 25 miles. It no longer starts/ends at Pickett State Park. It now starts/ends at Leatherwood Ford in the BSF. Plans are to extend it even longer into Tn.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

websites for the ST http://www.sheltoweetrace.com/ and http://www.sheltoweetrace.org./ has info on the extensions
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

I've done the Sheltowee Trace from TN to about 50 or 60 miles north of Cumberland Falls. Was years ago, but as I recall, the southern section was nice, some river walking, a damn to cross, fair number of caves to explore/camp in. The problem was tremendous amounts of litter. This unfortunately, seems to be common in KY - a cultural issue I've been told by locals. North of Cumberland Falls is a pleasant area. The park makes a nice place to get a room and take a zero.

I know I've hiked parts of the Allegheny Trail, but not enough to really comment on.

It's been years since I was on either and only spent a week or so on the ALT, but I recall that both were the usual "map and compass skills required" types of trails. Both had beautiful sections as some road walking sections. Neither one had much traffic, except in certain areas. I would have to recommend that you find the current status of each to get a sense of how well maintained the trails are. Trail maps and guidebooks are nice when you can find them, but you can get a lot of information from the national forest service, the interior department, the post office, google, etc. to help with resupply planning and route finding.

Personally, I'm more fond of the landscape in Kentucky than in West Virginia, but both are spectacular in places. If you hike the Sheltowee, please be sure not to disturb the rock shelters, and if you go to West Virginia, be sure to avoid camping in the spruce forests.

Send an Email to Handlebar. He has hiked the Allegheny Trail.

If you hike the Sheltowee, please be sure not to disturb the rock shelters, and if you go to West Virginia, be sure to avoid camping in the spruce forests.

Bati, can you expound? I get the rock shelters, I think, but what are you calling rock shelters? And, why not camp in the spruce forests.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    If you hike the Sheltowee, please be sure not to disturb the rock shelters, and if you go to West Virginia, be sure to avoid camping in the spruce forests.

Bati, can you expound? I get the rock shelters, I think, but what are you calling rock shelters? And, why not camp in the spruce forests.
    The rock shelters are federally protected due to very sensitive plants, aritifacts,etc. The spruce in WV are red spruce, I believe, and don't tend to live very long, just a few hundred years. They seem to have very shallow roots for their size. The ALT headed through a section of very old spruce trees and at first I had thought it might be a good camping site for the night. A quick look at the number of downed trees and the sky convinced me not to be anywhere near there when the wind kicked up. I've not seen many, if any, stands of that type of spruce that are that large before or since.

I haven't thruhiked either trail but I'm familiar with them. I've hiked 145 mile of the Allegheny. Living in KY, I've hiked and done trail maintenance on the Sheltowee in Big South Fork, Cumberland Falls, and Red River Gorge.

Despite being about the same length and both being in each state's National Forest, the 2 trails are quite different.

The Sheltowee is a National Recreation Trail whereas the Allegheny Trail is strictly a private operation although most of it runs through the Monongahela National Forest. Under Steve Barbour's (aka Traildust) leadership, the Sheltowee Trace Association is working aggressively to overcome years of neglect to clear, re-blaze, and in some cases, reroute the Sheltowee. As a result of annual Trail Checks in April, every mile of the Sheltowee is inspected for maintenance needs. That doesn't mean every mile gets worked on every year but the most pressing needs are met. Also, the STA sponsors a Sheltowee Challenge consisting of organized weekend section hikes once a month resulting in the entire Trace being hiked.

The Allegheny Trail simply does not receive the attention that the Sheltowee does so not surprisingly, much of the trail is overgrown with spotty blazing. In fact of all the trails I've hiked - the entire AT, Colorado Trail, Superior Trail, Black Forest Trail, Laurel Highlands Trail, Susquehannock Trail, most of the JMT, Long Trail - the ALT is in the worst condition. Now that doesn't mean I wouldn't hike it more (in fact, I will this summer) and I don't want to slam the WV Scenic Trails Association because the few volunteers they have work very hard. It's just that they're a small organization with little outside assistance or funding. Also, the ALT's guide is OK but they're not good at keeping their website updated. The map set is poor - xeroxed black-and-white copies that are very hard to read.

Scenery and setting: ST is mostly in Daniel Boone National Forest - not mountainous at all. But that doesn't translate into "flat" because the Trace often plunges into gorges and ravines. I refer to it as down-and-up hiking rather than up-and-down. There are very few ascents totaling 1,000' at a time. There may be none at all. But the downs and ups are steep and in winter, can be dangerously icy. IMP, the best thing about hiking the ST and other parts of KY is the rock shelters and rock overhangs, the natural arches and bridges, and the impressive rock formations. For this reason, I consider early Spring the best time to hike it because you want to see the rocks before the leaves are out. Plus, early wildflowers are blooming and water sources flow better. I'm considering an ST thruhike in 2014 in which I'd start around the Spring Equinox.

The ALT is set in the mountains. The trail itself is nearly entirely over 2,000', much of it is above 3,000' with the highest part being about 4,200' along Shavers Mountain. Although it's ridge walking, there are still several 1,000' ascents especially when you switch ridges. Part of it goes along the Grreenbrier River sharing the bike trail and a substantial portion goes along the Glady Fork. There's a major ford of the Greenbrier's West Fork and lesser fords as well. I really liked hiking through the spruce forests in the high elevation parts. Like the Sheltowee, the ALT has road walks. Also, the southern part of the ALT starting on Peters Mountain (from the AT) only runs 21 miles before a disconnect occurs so you need a shuttle to where it resumes at the I-64 crossing (or you roadwalk 25 miles). Finally in the north beyond Blackwater Falls, the ALT goes on private land so there's a lot of road walks but many of them are abandoned forest service or country roads. I haven't hiked up there but you could contact Handlebar here on WB. He's also on TJ and he thruhiked the ALT in winter.

Logistics: Thanks to Taba, there's a recent guide book for the ST detailing services in towns as well as landmarks along the trail. Planning your resupply stops is easier than the ALT which proved to be quite a challenge which I undertook in 2010 when I was supposed to thruhike it. The ALT doesn't have the infrastructure that surrounds the AT but with planning, you can resupply at Marlinton, Cass, Davis or Thomas, Kingwood. I have a detailed spreadsheet of the ALT which I'd be happy to share with you.

I would offer you more info but I'm on the road right now. Hopefully you have some idea. Good luck!

Thanks Cookerhiker for the detailed info.

I've decided to hike the Sheltowee next. Right now, subject to change, my plan is to thru hike it sometime between March 15th and April 15th. It depends on how involved I need to be with my income tax preparation (it is complex).

Not sure of the direction - whether to go nobo or sobo.. I like to get the hard part out of the way first which would mean a nobo hike but I also dislike the idea of getting further and further away from home as I hike....

Dogwood aren't you supposed to be on the Pinhoti about now?

10 K I would be interested in hiking it with you if you want company. I have hiked 3 sections of it already and enjoyed it.
    I can't hike 20miles a day but I have hiked a lot. Read my trail journal.

Thanks CookerHiker for the synopsis.

10-K, dilly dallying a bit as I just finished the Foothills Trail with about a 40 mile extension east to Mountain Bridge Wilderness. I recently learned my work project has been delayed a bit so I have more free(hiking) time. Selecting fairer weather windows for hiking. On the FHT, I started at the Falls Ck Th, hiked past Falls Ck waterfall(NICE!) and Hospital Rock(strenuous trail), continued west to Jones Gap SP hiking along the Middle Saluda River w/ a side trip to Rainbow Falls to Ceasar's Head SP where I checked out Raven Cliff Falls(NICE) and hiked the Natureland Trust and Gum Gap Trails to Table Rock SP atop Sassafras Mt, the highest pt in South Carolina. Continued west to Gorges SP and finished at Oconee SP. Took several short blue blazed side trails to various waterfalls: Virginia Hawkins, Hiliard, Upper and Lower Whitewater, Lick Log, etc. Had the trails basically to myself. Only saw one other hiker/camper the entire route. All the waterfalls on this WATERFALL RICH HIKE were FULLY flowing after 4 straight days of upcountry South Carolina heavy rain. Temps were in the mid 50's with two days topping 60*. Lows at night in the low-mid 20's. Woke up two mornings with my H2O frozen solid in my platypus and Nalgene after leaving it exposed all night to the cold. Had not one drop of rain in 5 1/2 days of hiking this route. Saw whitetail deer, a hungry blk. bear, coyotes, several flocks of wild turkey, fox, ruffed grouse, woodpeckers, bats, mountain ravens, various raptors, and songbirds. Explored a couple of shallow caves, undercut house sized boulders, rock overhangs, cliffs, and rock balds. Views were obviously better in mid winter then when I hiked the FHT last in fall of 2009. I hiked three nights until after 9 p.m. The night views of the lights of Greenville SC(with a partial moon) and Lake Jocassasee from the section high pt where three sets of benches are located were excellent. I really like this trail for winter hiking to stay in hiking condition.

Heading to the Pinhoti Trail going NOBO on wed. Anything you would like to share about thye PT?

Let me know if you need a shuttle. I'm pretty available around March 15, less so around April 15.

Thanks CookerHiker for the synopsis.

10-K, dilly dallying a bit as I just finished the Foothills Trail with about a 40 mile extension east to Mountain Bridge Wilderness. I recently learned my work project has been delayed a bit so I have more free(hiking) time. Selecting fairer weather windows for hiking. On the FHT, I started at the Falls Ck Th, hiked past Falls Ck waterfall(NICE!) and Hospital Rock(strenuous trail), continued west to Jones Gap SP hiking along the Middle Saluda River w/ a side trip to Rainbow Falls to Ceasar's Head SP where I checked out Raven Cliff Falls(NICE) and hiked the Natureland Trust and Gum Gap Trails to Table Rock SP atop Sassafras Mt, the highest pt in South Carolina. Continued west to Gorges SP and finished at Oconee SP. Took several short blue blazed side trails to various waterfalls: Virginia Hawkins, Hiliard, Upper and Lower Whitewater, Lick Log, etc. Had the trails basically to myself. Only saw one other hiker/camper the entire route. All the waterfalls on this WATERFALL RICH HIKE were FULLY flowing after 4 straight days of upcountry South Carolina heavy rain. Temps were in the mid 50's with two days topping 60*. Lows at night in the low-mid 20's. Woke up two mornings with my H2O frozen solid in my platypus and Nalgene after leaving it exposed all night to the cold. Had not one drop of rain in 5 1/2 days of hiking this route. Saw whitetail deer, a hungry blk. bear, coyotes, several flocks of wild turkey, fox, ruffed grouse, woodpeckers, bats, mountain ravens, various raptors, and songbirds. Explored a couple of shallow caves, undercut house sized boulders, rock overhangs, cliffs, and rock balds. Views were obviously better in mid winter then when I hiked the FHT last in fall of 2009. I hiked three nights until after 9 p.m. The night views of the lights of Greenville SC(with a partial moon) and Lake Jocassasee from the section high pt where three sets of benches are located were excellent. I really like this trail for winter hiking to stay in hiking condition.

Heading to the Pinhoti Trail going NOBO on wed. Anything you would like to share about thye PT?

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5335973.pdf

Here's a nice overview of the Sheltowee Trace.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The roadwalks.....

I used Mr. Parkay's Maps but I modified the road walks to make them faster/more efficient and as it turns out - about as safe as you could get.

Leaving Cave Spring. The objective is to leave Cave Springs and get to the Simms Mt. Trailhead the best way you can.

Here's how I did it:

1. Walk out of town on Mill Street until it dead ends into Spout Spring Rd.

2. Turn left on Spout Spring Rd walk it until it dead ends, make a left and walk 100 yards to GA 100.

3. Turn right on GA 100 and walk until you get to GA 20. You will have to walk across a very narrow bridge over the Cossa River. Suggest waiting until no one is coming and make a dash.....

4. Turn right on GA 20 and walk to Huffaker Rd. and make a left between 2 stores. Be sure to stop at the store on your left - the diner is awesome. This is the last store you'll see until Dalton.

5. Walk down Huffaker Rd and you'll eventually see the Simm's Mt. trailhead. As I recall it's about 1.5 miles - maybe a little more. Go left and you'll be on that trail for 12 more miles.

Leaving Dalton.

I had 2 guides and they both had different routes out of Dalton. I didn't particularly like either one so I made my own and it worked out about very well. Both US 76 and US 411 have good shoulders to walk on and not only is taking US 76 to Chatsworth more direct you pass about 100 convenience stores. Once you get to Chatsworth there is about 3 miles of sidewalk which is very nice and as you leave town on US 411 the sidewalk ends less than 2 miles from where you get off that highway. This route also takes you by the Wal Mart in Dalton and several Dollar Generals.

In fact, you pass a Dollar General on the way out of Chatsworth and I can do a complete resupply at a Dollar General so next time I'd leave Dalton without resupplying and wait until I was leaving Chatsworth to do it.

1. Walk out of Dalton on US 76 aka "Chatsworth Hwy". Keep walking til you get to Chatsworth.

2. Bear right on Green Rd when you get inside Chatsworth and walk it to US 411.

3. Turn right on US 411 and walk for a few miles - you'll see Old Hwy 411 bear off to the left. Get on Old Hwy 411.

It's a 2 lane blacktop, nothing fancy. If you pass this by mistake you can make a left on Wilbanks Rd. less than half mile on down the rd.

4. Go left on Wilbanks Rd, walk it till it dead ends and make a right.

5. In approximately 1.5 miles you'll make a left on People's Lake Rd. and you'll start seeing Pinhoti blazes again. Note that there are not many blazes in this area but the turns are well blazed so don't worry about being on the trail - just stay on People's Lake Rd. and pay attention.

* You can pull up a map of Chatworth on maps.yahoo.com and see steps 3, 4, and 5 if they don't make sense. It's very straightforward.
    Last edited by 10-K; 01-27-2013 at 07:29.

Quote Originally Posted by 58starter View Post
    10 K I would be interested in hiking it with you if you want company. I have hiked 3 sections of it already and enjoyed it.
    I can't hike 20miles a day but I have hiked a lot. Read my trail journal.
    I did see where you had hiked sections.

It would be hard for me to hike less than 20 miles a day and have a good time but I wouldn't mind trying a hike with someone.

I think I would make a sucky hiking partner because I start before dawn and hike til dark and I don't stop much and when I do it's not for long.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++