WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ultra lite- two person shelters

Greetings 2013 thru hikers and veterans of the trail.
    I have hiked solo most of my life, but plan to thru hike the AT this year with a partner so am searching for the ideal ultra lite hybrid tarp tent. I'm interested in a balance between protection from bugs and weather and saving weight, realizing there must be a little sacrafice in weight to get the later. I've looked at Six Moons Design Lunar Duo, Hexamid Twin, Gossamer Gear, Double Rainbow and other Tarptents. I like the cuban fiber of the Hexamid, however am not convinced that the design is quite right, with the support pole in the middle of the entrance, as is the case with a few others. Does anyone have a lot of positive experience using a particular brand of tent that works effectively for rain, wind, condensation, etc and is lite weight?
    Rhyolite

Images

Check out this option: http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com...ht-system.html

I'm a hammock guy for the AT, but with a partner there may be obvious reasons not to go that route.

Thank you Dr. Professor for the Hyperlite tip. Looks similar to the hexamid, but the price is a huge deterent. Seems like most of the shelters I've seen thus far, are under 300.00. Hyperlite wants 600.00! Ouch! Guess I'll mention price too:-) Looks verstatile anyway!
    Mike

may be a tight fit , but the solong 6 by lightheart gear will fit 2 pads

"It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Although I use the single Rainbow by tarptent, I am 6'6" and it fits me awesome. I have no complaints with the design or manufacturing. My vote goes to tarptent.

Journal Entries

If you prefer a tent to a tarp, I thing Big Agnes Fly creek 2 is 2.2 lbs. that's light for a enclosed durable shelter. I carry the UL 1 in my tiny Golite Dawn bag on long distance treks and keep my base weight under 10lbs. It's preferred for me over my MLD shelter.

Images

Love love love the Lunar Duo.

That said, I would share a tent only with a romantic partner. When I go hiking with my wife, the Lunar Duo is most wonderful. When I go with my hiking partner, we take separate everything, especially including shelters.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Rhyolite, Are you ruling out cuben fiber because of price? The Hexamid twin is a great set up at 19.9 ounces for everything - tent, footprint, extended beak, lines, stuff sack, stakes, and stake sack; however that’s a price of $559.

Images

That said, I would share a tent only with a romantic partner.
    SECONDED.

I assumed that was what was meant in this thread. If not a romantic partner, get two hammocks (for the AT).

Images

That said, I would share a tent only with a romantic partner.
    SECONDED.

I assumed that was what was meant in this thread. If not a romantic partner, get two hammocks (for the AT).

++ New Posts ++