WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TurboPants View Post
    I'm in the skeptic camp of going w/out camp shoes. Seems to me the first month it's chilly after 6PM. I've seen how filthy shelters are and I don't want to be barefoot. .
    I recall a pretty young lady at one of the shelters wearing a down jacket and barefooted, mud oozzing between her toes, didn't seem to bothet her at all though, obviously not a city girl.

in cold weather i just use my trail runners. in summertime i run around barefoot and let my feet get some air

Quote Originally Posted by msumax1985:1402151
    I really appreciate all the great advice. So here's another question for my upcoming late March NOBO section hike:

Crocs (13oz) or flip flops (5oz)?

Flip flops seem like the lowest weight choice, but you cant wear socks with them. I'm from FL, so not great with the cold weather. Aren't my feet going to freeze walking around camp in simple flip flops? Crocs give me the option of adding socks if it's cold. Am I wrong? What do you use and why?

Thanks again!
    Try walking uphill for 30' with flip flops. I go barefoot instead.

Quote Originally Posted by msumax1985 View Post
    I really appreciate all the great advice. So here's another question for my upcoming late March NOBO section hike:

Crocs (13oz) or flip flops (5oz)?

Flip flops seem like the lowest weight choice, but you cant wear socks with them. I'm from FL, so not great with the cold weather. Aren't my feet going to freeze walking around camp in simple flip flops? Crocs give me the option of adding socks if it's cold. Am I wrong? What do you use and why?

Thanks again!
    I recommend Under Armour's Men's Locker II Slide. They are actually unisex (both women's and men's sizes are printed on the bottom)...

A men's 7/Women's 8 is only 6 oz. You can wear socks with them and they make a great shower shoe. The holes in the bottom drains water off but if you walk in them outdoors, no dirt comes up those holes. Pretty nice, lightweight, and comfortable. I just ordered 2 more pair. Here's the link:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...58288.13186025

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...pid1238676-001

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

Quote Originally Posted by 4Bears View Post
    On a long hike I like my Adidas slides, they weigh about the same as flip flops, with no discomfort if wearing socks. Wearing them then allows more time for my trail shoes to dry out and my feet to air out while protecting the bottom of them. They pack up compact as well.
    Love this idea. I was planning on picking up some knock-off Crocs for my thru this summer, but these will weigh less and pack better. Nice!

Images

Luna Sandals. You can also hike in them. Gives you two options for your feet ( 3 if you can go barefoot too).

Images

One other option is Xero Shoes, formally named Invisible Shoes. They are huaraches. They are light, thin and the straps mean you won't lose one in water crossings. They are open like flip flops and slides, so should be just as nice for showering.

Downsides: Strap between the toes and even trail hardened feet may not be ready to do any significant hiking in these. They'll be especially uncomfortable if the attachment under the toes isn't made very flat.

I use Altra Adams. 9 ounces for the pair and they are rugged enough to hike in in a pinch (they are actually a minimalist zero drop running shoe). They dry fast and are so comfortable, that I wear them around the house all day and hate to take them off. Currently on sale on line for $49!

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Now that I've wasted money buying 5 pairs of camp shoes searching for the lightest ones, I now hike in trail runners and dont carry camp shoes. I'm going to have a massive gear sale one day and sell all my mistakes to someone else.
    What is your shoe size? I am not done making mistakes yet.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

That's the problem with camp shoes. We try to find the solution we've already found. I'd bet most of us have used flip flops or slides a lot at home, at the beach and even while car camping. Some of us probably wore them to school, out shopping and at work. It works great there, so why do we try so hard to ignore them when looking for camp shoes?

I've never used camp shoes.
    If I'm up and about I just use my hiking shoes.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

Thanks for all the responses. Here's what I decided to go with:

1) I removed the insoles of my trail runners, removed my socks, loosened the laces, and they are very comfortable. Almost feels like wearing crocs. This option will depend on how wet my shoes are, how much air my feet need. Zero added cost and zero added weight.

2) Flip flops. I never actually tried them with socks before, just assumed you couldn't. But tried the suggestion above and it actually works! I just pull my socks down a little, leaving extra fabric past my toes, and the flops work great. Zero added cost as it's an old $2 pair I've had around the house for years, and only 5 oz added weight. And if I find option 1 above becomes preferred, I can always just ditch the flops and save the 5 oz.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    One other option is Xero Shoes, formally named Invisible Shoes. They are huaraches. They are light, thin and the straps mean you won't lose one in water crossings. They are open like flip flops and slides, so should be just as nice for showering.
    I have a pair of Vivobarefeet. They're light but bulky enough that I strapped em to the outside of my pack. Then, looking for weight reduction, I left them at home. I just loosened my laces around camp, and pulled out my footbeds before fording all those rivers in Maine. (I was wishing I brought my Vivos ...)

But I had nothing to wear in some nasty communal showers ... I started looking at sandals and flip flops. I saw the Xeros and ordered a pair. See my post at http://bit.ly/Xeros) Mine weigh 7.25 ozs. I could probably knock an ounce off by using a different lacing. They're tough enough for barefoot running on asphalt, I'm confident I'm not going to tear the toe strap out of the hole like what happens with those really light, cheap flip-flops so often. With 4mm soles, they pack real flat, fit nicely in my ULA's side or back pockets, or can be slip inside easily.

IMAG1293-1.jpg

Downsides: Strap between the toes and even trail hardened feet may not be ready to do any significant hiking in these. They'll be especially uncomfortable if the attachment under the toes isn't made very flat.
    They have instructions for a few lacing patterns that go over the top and not between yer toes ...
    Last edited by LDog; 02-26-2013 at 20:45.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Im just taking my Sprint Aquatics mesh shoes for camp shoes only. Only 1.85 ounces for the pair. Not much padding on the sole so I'd be careful where I walk. However they have served me well and are perfect for showers, stream crossings, or just letting your feet air out. I do not like flip flops so these work well for me.

Neither.

Loosen laces on your hiking shoes, and you have no-weight camp shoes. Just sayin'
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by Joker4ink View Post
    Im just taking my Sprint Aquatics mesh shoes for camp shoes only. Only 1.85 ounces for the pair. Not much padding on the sole so I'd be careful where I walk. However they have served me well and are perfect for showers, stream crossings, or just letting your feet air out. I do not like flip flops so these work well for me.
    I like these too, but can't find them to buy anymore. I bring these for stream crossings and/or trail bathing away from water sources. If I have them with me, they can double as camp shoes if not too chilly and I want to get trail runners off.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

These work great for me, weigh nothing. I put an old insole in them for walking on rocks/sticks around camp.

http://www.theunderwearguys.com/prod...roducts_id=218
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    These work great for me, weigh nothing. I put an old insole in them for walking on rocks/sticks around camp.

http://www.theunderwearguys.com/prod...roducts_id=218
    Thanks Chiefduffy.
    I was just about to post that link as that's my company and we sell a lot of them.
    We have all sizes in stock right now too.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Yeah, Crocs or flip flops is my usual question, too. I do like to have separate shoes for hanging around in camp, even though I hike in relatively light trail shoes. I finally settled on flip flops in the summer when I can walk around without socks, and Crocs the rest of the year.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thinking about just bringing my Teva strap sandals with me for camp shoes/water crossing, thoughts?

81aOcGMZFdL._SL1500_.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++